Inner village trade (coins)

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Inner village trade (coins)

Postby maze » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 pm

Edited and fixed:
After reviewing a number of peoples reply. It might be better off with 2 types of coins (not that I agree).

-Metal coins that have quality attached & that can be melted back down into bars

-Stamped Coins, what only an LS of a city can make using wooden logs. stamped coins have no Values or Quality other then being 1 coins.

------------------------------
Stamped coins

LS makes stamped coins using a wooden block.
About 250 coins are made.
When you hover over a stamped coin it would read
[# of coins][Village name] coin('s)

Stamp coins would be mainly used as a currency inside your town to promote work and give people intensive and a goal to work toward.
it would reduce the "this guy does no work" instead selling your items in town such as food, curios, metal, armor and w/e more.

Also an example of someone coming to your town;
player comes to your town and wants to buy armor. s/he see armor for 100coins for sale on a trade table but has no coins to buy it.

The town however has another table and seems to need alot of blueberrys, they are buying em for 1 coin each. you spend a few days collecting berrys and sell em to the town, finally getting all your coins.
you finally buy the armor~ victory dance.

An example of someone inside your town:
the farmer wants to buy some Tin soldiers from the miners. but the miner set the coin to 15coins each.
the farmers make food blueberry pies and sets em on a table for 10 coins each.
someone in the village buys the blueberry pies.
the farmer then has 20coins and goes to buy his tin soldiers.

How the system in my town will work:
I'll have coins on hand, buying Curios from my town mates and then placing the coins onto the townhall trade tables.
this will enject the currency into my town and make it so that if you want something, you need to do something for it.
----------------------------------
Metal coins

would have a different system, and you might be much more reluctant to using metal to buy q10 blue berrys.
It likly be the metal coins (if used at all) would be to trade for things in other villages other then your own.

---------------------------------
original post
Once j&L put a trading system back into the game. i would also like to see J&L put back coins.

however I want the coins to be made~
and then the LS of the village can stamp coins. making them

[H.L.T.U Coin]
making it so that miners in the city cant just make a billion coins and buy everything up.

~~~~~

When we go up to a trade table with an item at it, it can ask for $55 H.L.T.U
Ideally this would help a lot in my town.

I can see the coins being used outside the town a little bit, but not as much.

---
1 bar of w/e can make 250coins

----

Edit:
As long as people get this one point.
money in the village, stamp by the LS. so that the Coins are official [town name] coins. that people in the town will accept.
other towns can use their coins how they see fit. and LS can make a billion coins in his town. what might make it so that outsiders using the might not highly want to unless it a well known town with a good handle on its money.
so that the village does not have counterfeit coins or coins made randomly by miners who end up ruining the supply of coins.
Last edited by maze on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Re: Inner village trade (coins)

Postby shubla » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:23 pm

Coins bound to villages. For example coins made in x village dont work in y
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby kilakan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:28 pm

I'd rather have a banner style type insignia ring or something that lawspeakers can make. It would let you stamp coins and maybe even other objects with 'Seal of Approval by Lawspeaker _ of _'

Then coins could work everywhere, but let villages choose which other villages to accept coinage from. That way say people of H. L. T. U. could use coinage at other towns that have approved them and vice-versa.
World 2-7:Random Nonsense
World 8: Lawspeaker of R'lyeh
World 9:Lawspeaker of R'lyeh/Tartarus
World 10:Lawspeaker of R'lyeh
kilakan

Postby Sevenless » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Coins were a massively failed system in legacy, I don't see those minor changes providing enough utility to change that fact here.

It would essentially be a larper's only tool.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby kilakan » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:30 pm

eh probably I guess. Meh everyone should just use gold pebbles, silver nuggets and copper nuggets as currancy :D
World 2-7:Random Nonsense
World 8: Lawspeaker of R'lyeh
World 9:Lawspeaker of R'lyeh/Tartarus
World 10:Lawspeaker of R'lyeh
kilakan

Postby maze » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Sevenless wrote:Coins were a massively failed system in legacy, I don't see those minor changes providing enough utility to change that fact here.

It would essentially be a larper's only tool.

The old system~ why it failed. was mainly cuz anyone with access to metal was able to make coins.

With a system where an LS can stamp coins and make them official town coins, it would work less as a larp tool and more as a real tool.
the coins would not be bound to the city. but I dont see coins being used outside your city much.

the coins in my city would be used in a system where people would make Curios, I would give them coins. the coins can then be used to buy food or other curios.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby Granger » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Another criminal one who wants to bring the biggest scam known to man into this game?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Sevenless » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Agggh fine I'll contribute. I love economics too much to pass up a chance to comment on this. *sighs*

A properly hardcoded currency system is important for building more hardcoded interactions into the game. Stuff like open cities, renting plots, etc will need something like this since bartering gets too clunky. I hate coins in general though due to legacy, there needs to be some changes to it and not all of them will be realistic because this is a vidya game and some changes need to be made to make currency work here.

The main purpose of having coinage is allowing variable exchange. So that nabs may buy sell blueberries and eventually save up for a pickaxe. For this we need several features:

Portability/Convenience:

You would need the ability to carry currency at no cost to the individual, this contributes to one of the primary needs of currency which is convenience/portability. It would have to be stored in a money pouch (with effectively no limits on the quantity stored) or some such, all transactions with these proposed currency stalls automated. Coins should NEVER be allowed out of these pouches, acting like a liquid, because that was a nightmare in haven. I'd opt for letting the belt slot take this since it has no non-larp related utility atm. Exchanges outside Currency stalls would be handled by right clicking a money pouch on another player with a pouch or on a pouch which would open up a window as to how much you should transfer.

Security (for the issuing town)

Currency stalls would need a way to attune to a specific currency. This satisfies the need for a currency to be safe from counter fitting. I don't even agree with the concept of stamp items that could be stolen, because this is already a fragile system it needs to be completely, 100%, safe from being ripped off so villages will actually issue currencies. Note that safety from theft of currency isn't required, as such a nab getting mugged for his Town O Larp dollars wouldn't be an issue to the town who issued them. The town in question only needs to hand out coins if they're receiving something for it, so they're getting benefit either way. Likewise, coins should not be convertible back into metal. This isn't realistic, but anything governments make illegal related to currency in IRL should be a hardcoded rule in a game world. The big key here is that the "price" of a bar of metal doesn't get locked into exactly the amount of coins it cost to make. This issue hampered coin use heavily in haven (well along with the other issues)

Cost

Now that we've covered security, and coded in hard and fast rules for what can and can't work, we're safe to make currency cheap. It has to be cheap to use currencies for the town issuing them. Maze already covered this, but 100 or more coins per bar would work fine. Personally I'd rather see a large number than a small one, so that people can offer more than 1 coin per blueberry if they choose. I also don't see any need for denominations since we're forcing currency to be a "liquid" from the game's point of view, make it take "any bar of metal" and print generic coins.

Convertability

Those three issues are what the game can hardcod to make currency viable for towns. The final requirement would be up to the issuing town: Ease of conversion. Towns would need to ensure that their currency can be traded for other good things or people wouldn't want it. If a town manages to create a stable enough market, players might even consider trading that currency amongst themselves for goods and services, knowing that they can always go back to the Town O Larp and get something useful for their coins.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Phizuol » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:06 pm

I loved coins in w3 so I don't know what the "problem" is. We used to sell all kinds of stuff at the vendors in that neutral town all the way up till world's end. I could see it as an issue for large cities that have plenty of metal but you can always move up to steel coins or silver, minimum quality values, etc.

Using coins was way better than dealing with all those "points" on the trade threads. That was a real hassle.
Phizuol

Postby _Gunnar » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:23 pm

I'd much rather be able to melt stuff back to metal bars, tbh... The money pouch idea is a great one though.

If a village wants to use wallgrade iron coins and assign them some high value, then they should be able to, ofc, but I doubt anyone will become powerful enough to back this currency (with gold, steel of some particular q, or some other valuable commodity) outside their own village - if game mechanics change enough to make this possible then:

-Coinpresses should not only have text/designs on them, but also a hidden function which actually makes the coinpress unique. This can be described to other people, who then have the possibility to check whether any particular coin stack is genuine against a list of coinpresses they know.

-Forgers can copy the text/designs, but can't copy the hidden function precisely. They can choose to imitate it if it has been described to them though, and someone checking if a coin is genuine will be able to detect the fake by comparing dex*smithing of the forger vs int*perc of the tester.
_Gunnar

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas