Game Development: Castles in the Sand

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Castles in the Sand

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:25 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • As some of you may know we are currently toying with several ideas with an aim toward improving the social dynamics of the game, making larger civilizations and, ideally, open cities, possible. While most of this is still on the fairly raw idea stage, this one idea suddenly stood out us as so simple and elegant, yet potentially game changing for the better, that we simply decided to go ahead and implement it, as a test, if nothing else: Whenever you pass through an open, claimed Gate -- on a claim, village or private, which you are not a member/owner of -- you become a visitor of the claim in question, and can no longer commit crimes against said claim for the duration of your visit, i.e. until you leave it. You might want to explore this implementation carefully, as it may contain bugs, unforseen consequences, or strange edge cases we haven't thought of, but, theoretically, we believe that this means that you should more or less be able to leave your gates open to strangers, as said strangers should be unable to commit crimes inside your settlement. We would also like to include an option to evict visitors from the claim, but haven't been able to think of a good implementation yet.
  • Changed combat delta formula -- affects comparisons between attack & block weights, and agilities -- to a cuberoot of the ratio of the compared values. Character development should now matter a bit more in combat. Let us know what you think.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Cellars built after this patch should have walls.
  • Wheelbarrows can now be put in wagons, fixing this. Arguably a bit odd, but at least consistent with boats and carts.
  • Fixed a bug by which the battering ram could be used to ram over walls.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We meant to do more with combat, but time ran out. We will hopefully look more at actual attacks, armor, and whatnot next time.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Castles in the Sand

Postby MightySheep » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:26 am

great patch good job
MightySheep

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:26 am

DDDsDD999

Postby Sevenless » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:28 am

Huh, neat. Epic flag DDD,
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby InfernoI » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 am

The server appears to have crashed :(

The server last talked to me at Thu Nov 12 01:27:50 2015 (UTC).

Lol. Jorb, any hints on what it takes to build a tower? I need towers. Wizard towers. That hurl lightning bolts and arcane fire at people who trespass without permissions.
Last edited by InfernoI on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
InfernoI

Postby shadowchris » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:31 am

jorb wrote:[*] As some of you may know we are currently toying with several ideas with an aim toward improving the social dynamics of the game, making larger civilizations and, ideally, open cities, possible. While most of this is still on the fairly raw idea stage, this one idea suddenly stood out us as so simple and elegant, yet potentially game changing for the better, that we simply decided to go ahead and implement it, as a test, if nothing else: Whenever you pass through an open, claimed Gate -- on a claim which you are not a member/owner of -- you become a visitor of the claim in question, and can no longer commit crimes against said claim for the duration of your visit, i.e. until you leave it. You might want to explore this implementation carefully, as it may contain bugs, unforseen consequences, or strange edge cases we haven't thought of, but, theoretically, we believe that this means that you should more or less be able to leave your gates open to strangers, as said strangers should be unable to commit crimes inside your settlement. We would also like to include an option to evict visitors from the claim, but haven't been able to think of a good implementation yet.
!

This is an interesting change. Is this the ground work for how you will be implementing barter stands?
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby Archiplex » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:31 am

Archery buffs when
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby overtyped » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:32 am

Can you please specify on claim jorbtar. Is it village claim or regular claim or both?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:32 am

overtyped wrote:Can you please specify on claim jorbtar. Is it village claim or regular claim or both?

Both. Hence "owner/member of".
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby CloudJhi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:32 am

I feel so conflicted about this.

On one hand, I like it cause subterfuge is no longer a valid tactic. Sieging is now a prerequisite to raiding.

On another, I don't like how this patch came in in what I feel is a response to how thoroughly we got fucked over by one person.

But ehhhhh.
We'll see how this turns out.
I love the idea of having my gates open all the time and just having people over to talk and trade.
W3 to W6 - Blockland. Special mentions: New Avalon, Tarn of Hotdog, Red October.
W7 - Elvenia, til we all got lazy.
W8 - Cult of R'lyeh, til the deeps called us back.
W9 - Tartarus, til death/wizards came for the land itself.
W10 - ???, ruined and forgotten.
CloudJhi

Next

Return to Announcements