H&H desperately needs postponed messaging

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

H&H desperately needs postponed messaging

Postby hitzu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:08 am

Basically letters. Simple notes that you can stick on the gates, the door or the nearby tree for your villagers, mates you live with, friends, neighbors and enemies. Easy to make, easy to use, or perhaps reuse it if it is a parchment. Maybe it's only me, but I'm constantly catching myself thinking that I need to say something to my friends and neighbors who are not in the game at the moment or to my neighbors that I don't know but want to. Building a plate or carving a runestone is the ugly and expensive way to do so.

It would be cool if we could build mailboxes and send and recieve those letters via them. Let's pretend that pigeons, falcons, owls and other feathered creatures transport them around. Or better make them to actually carry the letters and one can shoot the bird to intercept the message and take over a strategic secret or a romantic confession.

Also it would be even more cool if we could stitch sheets together and make books and journals, memorize an event (screenshot), then engrave it on the parchment and then gift it to someone or keep under the lock.
hitzu

Re: H&H desperately needs postponed messaging

Postby venatorvenator » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:43 am

Jorb already said he'll add that at some point.

Not the bird though.
Xcom wrote:Most good things last only a short time
venatorvenator

Postby jorb » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:59 am

... but there are runestones?

Should definitely bring back parchments for starters.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:41 pm

I think I got a cool idea, wax seals on letters. Then I thought how to implement them and I'm not that sure anymore. And the function they would serve is at the moment provided by third party communication software like Skype.

If all else fails they would be nice RP stuff.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby hitzu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:13 pm

jorb wrote:... but there are runestones?

Can you imagine a trivial conversation via runestones between neighbors from different time zones? I cannot :D
hitzu

Return to Critique & Ideas