Game Development: Slingshot

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Slingshot

Postby jorb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:59 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added Sling. Fires a stone projectile. Firing only reduces the aim meter by 30%.
  • Added an experience.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Damage from ranged weapons is now determined by the weapons' Substance, as previously, but also by your character's Perception.
  • Range on ranged weapons is now determined by the weapons' Essence, used to be Vitality.
  • Vitality and Marksmanship have always determined aim speed on ranged weapons, and still do.
  • Fixed a bug with barter stands whereby; if both hands from one slot were in the same container, bad things would happen.
  • Nidbanes now wait until they've seen their target taking an action (walking, or whatever) before they attack.
  • Nidbanes now, when they are the aggressor, attack one-by-one.
  • If you attack a Nidbane who is waiting for a particular target, and there are other Nidbanes in the area, waiting for that same target, all Nidbanes waiting for the target will attack you.
  • Thus: The idea is that if the target fights the Nidbanes by being attacked by them, he only has to fight them in sequence, but if you instead try to pick them off one by one by attacking them, they will all aggro.
  • Nidbanes sent to avenge a murder are now weaker the more proper a burial the victim has received, as suggested here.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • You can now read Grave Cairns from a distance.
  • Grave Cairns are now far more allowing in terms of what tiles you can build them on.
  • The owner of a barter stand can right-click an asked good in the stand to clear it.
  • You can now inherit barter stands, fixing this report.
  • Cheese now becomes Generic Gouda in 72RL hours, rather than 48, fixing this.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • There may be a fairly obscure crash bug with slings that we were unable to resolve. Feel free to help out by crashing the server.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Slingshot

Postby Bowshot125 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:00 pm

Bowshot125

Postby Amanda44 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:01 pm

:lol: - you bring back my sling now when I don't need it anymore!
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Woot!

I love the news!
SLING LOVE <3

Ermmm..
Question time:

The Nidbanes are weakened ONLY if the murderer buries the corpse, right? If someone wants to send a nidbane after their murderer but also bury their own corpse, it would be stupid to weaken the nidbane I'm going to send since the murderer wasn't the one that buried me. Also, by burying strangers' corpses I find, I'd be weakening their Nidbanes (if they sent any) so that wouldn't be cool either.

And can we get an idea of how much is it weakened?
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby loftar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 pm

DaniAngione wrote:The Nidbanes are weakened ONLY if the murderer buries the corpse, right? If someone wants to send a nidbane after their murderer but also bury their own corpse, it would be stupid to weaken the nidbane I'm going to send since the murderer wasn't the one that buried me. Also, by burying strangers' corpses I find, I'd be weakening their Nidbanes (if they sent any) so that wouldn't be cool either.

Nah, it's actually weakened regardless (I don't even track who buried a corpse). It seemed reasonable that eg. the murderer's compatriots could bury the corpse rather than the murderer himself, and either way the victim gets his inheritance. If you have your own corpse but still want to send some Nidbanes, you could just hold off with burying it until you've done so.

DaniAngione wrote:And can we get an idea of how much is it weakened?

From the default of 1.2 the murderer's stats, it goes down to 0.8 if both the skeleton and skull are buried, and 1.0 if only one of them.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Shrapnelx » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Great update, one problem so far.

Client freezes the moment you fire the sling.

Using Ambers/Purus Client, both freeze.

Repeatable 5 times in a row so far.
Shrapnelx

Postby stya » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:10 pm

jorb wrote:Feel free to help out by crashing the server.

Best update ever, seriously I like it ¦]
stya

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:10 pm

loftar wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:The Nidbanes are weakened ONLY if the murderer buries the corpse, right? If someone wants to send a nidbane after their murderer but also bury their own corpse, it would be stupid to weaken the nidbane I'm going to send since the murderer wasn't the one that buried me. Also, by burying strangers' corpses I find, I'd be weakening their Nidbanes (if they sent any) so that wouldn't be cool either.

Nah, it's actually weakened regardless (I don't even track who buried a corpse). It seemed reasonable that eg. the murderer's compatriots could bury the corpse rather than the murderer himself, and either way the victim gets his inheritance. If you have your own corpse but still want to send some Nidbanes, you could just hold off with burying it until you've done so.

DaniAngione wrote:And can we get an idea of how much is it weakened?

From the default of 1.2 the murderer's stats, it goes down to 0.8 if both the skeleton and skull are buried, and 1.0 if only one of them.

I see. Interesting.
Now that we're at it, could we get the opposite, then? Like, some sort of "desecration" scent that allows for an even stronger (1.5 for example) Nidbane if a corpse is destroyed/thrown in water/etc so it is impossible to bury it? Or maybe just "buff" the murder scent nidbane (just like it is debuffed by burying)
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby loftar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Shrapnelx wrote:Using Ambers/Purus Client, both freeze.

So is it reproducible on the default client?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Kepler » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:13 pm

jorb wrote:New Implementations

• Added an experience.

What?
Kepler

Next

Return to Announcements