Game Development: Slingshot

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Slingshot

Postby jordancoles » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:16 am

If you attack a Nidbane who is waiting for a particular target, and there are other Nidbanes in the area, waiting for that same target, all Nidbanes waiting for the target will attack you.

Bahahah :lol:

Nidbanes sent to avenge a murder are now weaker the more proper a burial the victim has received

What about in a case where the victim recovers his full body and buries himself for the inheritance, but still wants revenge for his murder? His ghosts would be less effective after the burial

It'd make sense to wait to bury the corpse until after you've sent out the nigbane
Or does it only cut their strength if the murderer is the one to bury the body?

Cheese now becomes Generic Gouda in 72RL hours, rather than 48

Pras :!:
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Avu » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:21 am

I think the nidbanes changes are good and mesh well with the grave system. Maybe reduce their power more if the head is also burried.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby bolognaman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:29 am

jordancoles wrote:What about in a case where the victim recovers his full body and buries himself for the inheritance, but still wants revenge for his murder? His ghosts would be less effective after the burial

loftar wrote:
DaniAngione wrote:The Nidbanes are weakened ONLY if the murderer buries the corpse, right? If someone wants to send a nidbane after their murderer but also bury their own corpse, it would be stupid to weaken the nidbane I'm going to send since the murderer wasn't the one that buried me. Also, by burying strangers' corpses I find, I'd be weakening their Nidbanes (if they sent any) so that wouldn't be cool either.

Nah, it's actually weakened regardless (I don't even track who buried a corpse). It seemed reasonable that eg. the murderer's compatriots could bury the corpse rather than the murderer himself, and either way the victim gets his inheritance. If you have your own corpse but still want to send some Nidbanes, you could just hold off with burying it until you've done so.

DaniAngione wrote:And can we get an idea of how much is it weakened?

From the default of 1.2 the murderer's stats, it goes down to 0.8 if both the skeleton and skull are buried, and 1.0 if only one of them.
bolognaman

Postby Karede » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:50 am

Avu wrote:I think the nidbanes changes are good and mesh well with the grave system. Maybe reduce their power more if the head is also burried.

That's literally how it works
Karede

Postby Avu » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 am

Good then.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby roboboy33 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:24 pm

jorb wrote:Nidbanes now wait until they've seen their target taking an action (walking, or whatever) before they attack.

Do they still attack after reaching their target and waiting 24 hours?
what the fuck say
roboboy33

Postby loftar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 pm

roboboy33 wrote:Do they still attack after reaching their target and waiting 24 hours?

Yes. The change was "wait for the target to take an action rather than simply log in".
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby abt79 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 pm

loftar wrote:Just for the record, if the sling turns out to be good and fun, we are strongly considering converting arrows and spears to projectiles as well. It's kind of a trial project.

No one uses spears by the way, swords are better melee weapons because of higher damage and being one handed, bows are better ranged weapons because of higher damage, and no one wants a combination of the two, especially one that's harder to get than a bow.

IMO they should be one handed, have a phalanx type block with a shield, and do more damage than bows at the cost of accuracy, aim speed, and only being able to shoot once without reequipping
Last edited by abt79 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
abt79

Postby DeadlyPencil » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:59 pm

What if those ghost things travel to the murderers HF if they aren't logged in, and "jump" into it, causing the fire to turn black. when the murderer logs in and "moves", the nilbanes spawn from the HF and seek out their target again. you could also force them to log in at HF instead if their HF is black.

This will make it harder for people to help you fight nilbanes and you would have to be logged in when they do it.

BTW if you kill someone do you automatically get a battery scent and a murder scent? i dont know how easy it is to kill someone without knocking them out first. i haven't fought a nilbane yet but i would its rather scare with both battery and murder scents.
DeadlyPencil

Postby Archiplex » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Spears are incredibly underwhelming for damage, but that may not be an issue next world where the metal fuckery didn't happen.

Bows and spears should definitely be changed to be a "projectile", assuming that means they don't fire and hit instantly (i haven't gotten on to see how slings work).

Currently, a lot of the abuse cases in archery are due to arrows firing instantly and hitting instantly without possibility to dodge.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements