Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Postby jorb » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:25 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

As you all know we will be releasing a new world tomorrow. A lot is changing, so this might be a long post. Bear with me.

Map Generator
  • Rivers should now connect various bodies of water.
  • Rivers should generally be larger.
  • There should now be bodies of water on the cave levels.
  • There should now be large, open, areas in caves.
  • Fixed a bug by which some caves bugged out and placed entrances in the middle of empty space.
  • There should now be boulders and stalagmites in caves.
  • The map will initially be generated at a size of 250x250 minimaps (the same as worlds 3-7). We may/most likely will extend the map soonish, but the intention is to make and keep a significantly smaller world.
  • New characters will spawn all over the initial 250x250 minimaps, rather than the central 50x50 as they presently do.

Metals
  • Copper & Tin ores should be more common.
  • Gold & Silver ores should be less common.

Quality Nodes
We considered removing the tri-quality system entirely, and we still may in the future, but in the end decided to simply generate more coherent quality nodes instead. Quality nodes you find should now generally/more often have some amount of quality in all dimensions, albeit with some distribution.

Fate Forage
Fate forageables have been significantly reworked, and should now appear more reliably.

Fast Travel
  • Charter stones cannot be built on the cave levels.
  • You may only travel to charter stones you have visited once. I.e. the first time you'll have to hike it there to get to know the stone.
  • You get travel weariness when traveling using a charter stone. This can be recouped by sleeping in a Sturdy Bed, and in one other way, which you can discover for yourselves.
  • Charter stones and Village Idols now require a new resource for their construction.

Localized Resources
  • In exploring the world you will find several new localized resources, all using some new and hopefully interesting mechanics. We may reveal more details as these are discovered, but generally speaking they all have in common that their regeneration rates are globally limited.
  • The boulder distribution should now be more even, so hopefully we can avoid completely stone empty areas this time.
  • Gold & Silver boulders should be rarer.

Siege & PvP
  • Added catapults. Catapults have 750HP, and can be used while they have more than 150HP. Catapults take 3HP damage per map pixel they move, and 200HP damage each time they fire. A catapult can be used six hours after it is built, and one hour after each repair. Catapults have a soak value of 3. Catapult shots deal, randomly, from 600HP and upwards. Catapults have a range of 200 map pixels, i.e. circa 18 tiles. It is not possible to launch Hearthlings yet.
  • Added a Shield to all claims. In order to attack a claim using a Siege Engine you will first have to break the Shield. While the shield is up, all damage dealt by Siege Engines to structures under the claim will be diverted to the shield. The Shield has 60000 HP, but can only take a maximum of 4000HP damage per hour. The shield's damage resistance increases with damage it takes, but is reset every hour. The shield regenerates 1000HP each hour. Once a shield reaches zero HP left it will break. A broken shield comes back online once it reaches 8000HP. You can find out the status of a claim's shield by inspecting the ground.
  • Overlapping Claim Shields have a symmetrical relationship in that: If either is down, the other is also down. Thus: If the Village Shield is down, underlying Private Claim Shields are also down, and if the Private Claim Shield is down, then the Village Shield does not apply. If you fire at an object covered by a Private Claim and a Village Claim, you will target the private Claim's Shield. A Claim without Authority/Presence is disregarded, so if the Private claim lacks Presence the Village Shield applies, and if the Village lacks Authority, the Private Claim Shield applies.
  • Charter Stones shut down if the Shield of their Village claim goes below 48000HP.
  • Log Cabins have 5 soak and 5000HP. Timber Houses have 7 soak and 7000HP. Stone Steads have 10 soak and 10000HP. Stone Mansions have 12 soak and 12000HP. Great Halls have 25 soak and 25000HP. Stone Towers have 30soak and 30000HP. Palisades have 30 soak and 2500HP. Brick Walls have 50 soak and 3000HP. Statues of the Chieftain have 20 soak and 2000HP. Village Banners have 15 soak and 3000HP. Village Idols have 30 soak and 30000HP. Claim Poles have 15 soak and 15000HP. Charter Stones have 20 soak and 30000HP. Field Cairns have 5 soak and 1000HP.
  • Thus: By adding more catapults/battering rams to a siege you can break a claim shield faster, asymptotically approaching a theoretical maximum of 3000 damage per hour (4000HP damage minus 1000HP healed), meaning that the fastest speed in which you can break a claim is 20 hours from the first siege engine hit, which gives 26 hours if you count the initial drying time on catapults. Once a shield breaks, siege engines will deal damage to objects as normal.
  • Do note that destruction by hand is unaffected by the shield.
  • Siege Engines are themselves never protected by claim shields.
  • We intend to align the battering ram more with this system as well, but for now it works as it always has until we've had time to implement a more civilian wrecking ball for peaceful purposes.
  • Construction and repair of Siege Engines are all limited by a new resource.
  • Nidbanes are now limited by a new resource.

Miscellanea
  • The base inventory size has been increased by one row and one column to 5x5.
  • The energy meter has been extended to hold 10000 energy, rather than 5000. New characters start at 5000 energy. Starvation occurs below 2000 energy. Healing occurs above 8000 energy. Hard labour -- soil digging & mining -- is only possible above 5000 energy. We realize that levling soil sucks, and we want to improve that significantly, but for now we just hate your slave alts. Fuck 'em.
  • Halved the stamina costs for digging soil.
  • You now need relevant skills to build objects. I.e. you need to have Stone Working both to place and to build on, a Stone Tower.
  • You will now receive a special Wound when knocked out.
  • Added Wilderness Beacon. Build it. Give it a name and it starts burning. A person may spawn by the beacon by providing its name in the Character Creation room. It lasts for an hour before it is destroyed. If someone spawns by it it is destroyed.
  • The Altar of Ruin has been removed for now.
  • If you get hit by a cave-in you receive serious damage. The Miner's Helm negates such damage, but is consumed in the process.
  • Snow now melts.

Payment Model & Level Caps
  • We have tried to listen to the feedback you gave us on our first announcement, and thus we have altered the ideas we presented there.
  • There are no time limits in the game. Anyone may play as much as they like.
  • There is a level cap on Attributes & Abilities of 300 points. You can go higher than that using equipment and other stat bonuses.
  • Verified Accounts level up 10% faster (gain 10% more LP and FEPs) than Free Accounts, and can gain 10 more levels than Free Accounts (e.g. 310 total).
  • Subscribed Accounts level up 30% faster than Free Accounts, and can gain 30 levels more than Free Accounts (e.g. 330 total).
  • You are always capped according to your present account status, so if you level up to 330, and then stop subscribing, you will play at level 300 until you resubscribe.
  • Do note that we still consider level caps an experiment. Our intention is to evaluate them, not necessarily to implement them permanently.
  • There is a new skill called Painting which allows access to Sketch and Pigment crafting, which are available to anyone. Sketch Pages from the store can instead be used to craft any pattern, irrespective of complexity, without the need for pigments or other inputs.
  • All previously bought Sketch Pages & Snowballs have been redistributed to their buyers for the new world.
  • All subscription prices have been reconsidered, and are now starting at $7.
  • The store page has been updated to reflect new realities.
  • We're hoping you'll find this a more equitable payment model.

Customer Rewards
  • The server uptime counter has been set back one month, meaning that whatever subscriptions were active then will have been reactivated. If you bought a subscription today, on the other hand, you will effectively have bought two months. Basically the subscription time counts as if it were one month ago.
  • All Sketchbook Pages bought last world have been redistributed to their buyer's for this world.
  • Anyone who has bought anything from the store has received a Sombrero.
  • Anyone who has bought for more than $30 has received a Leprechaun's Hat.
  • Anyone who has bought for more than $50 has received a Subscription Token.
  • Anyone who has bought for more than $100 has received a Pharao's Crown.
  • The rewards are accumulating, so if you have received a Pharao's Crown you have also received the other rewards.

In the Pipe
  • With some luck we may have Xsolla online before the month is out.
  • The world reset will occurr tomorrow once we get up, can verify that the generated maps are acceptable, and have dealt with various lingering administrivias, and whatnot.

We would have liked to be around for the world ending, but need our beauty sleep before the reset.

Feel free to opine, and for the rest I'll see y'all tomorrow.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Prelude pt. II

Postby sabinati » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:26 am

it's a fukken spruce cap
sabinati

Postby vatas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:29 am

New siege system sounds promising.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby strpk0 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:34 am

That payment model. I love it.
Thank you.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby vatas » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 am

strpk0 wrote:That payment model. I love it.
Thank you.

Yes I just got to that part. 20% difference between verified and subscribed isn't game breaking but provides incentive to subscribe. Also I was worried my subscription that lasts until May would be worthless until I reach uber stats.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Astarisk » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:41 am

vatas wrote:
Thank you.

Yes I just got to that part. 20% difference between verified and subscribed isn't game breaking but provides incentive to subscribe. Also I was worried my subscription that lasts until May would be worthless until I reach uber stats.

I don't think it incentive's enough to sub, a 30% difference in the long run is quite negligible. But thats meh 2 cents on the matter. Also with the fact that 330 vs 300 barely matters at all..
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby CSPAN » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:42 am

I am very happy. I will not be sleeping this weekend.

Oh and Im buying a fat sub tomorrow.
Last edited by CSPAN on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby iamclothier » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:42 am

Ah yes. A new start.
I have vague memories of tying a woman up and throwing her in a dungeon.
iamclothier

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:42 am

I like the idea behind the new siege system. Here's to hoping it works out!
TeckXKnight

Postby FerrousToast » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:43 am

vatas wrote:
Thank you.

yeah, I was worried too. this part:
We are going to do something to reward earlier subscribers.
and that really made me feel like much less of a putz
FerrousToast

Next

Return to Announcements