Tedium, a Feature

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Tedium, a Feature

Postby Onep » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Yesterday as I was driving across the luscious Oklahoma countryside, and musing to myself about agricultural suicide rates, an idea came to me: what if we had Tedium as a meter in Haven?

The Tedium meter would tick down the more you do the same task over and over. And if you repeat the same task too much, you would risk serious injury and could possibly drive yourself to suicide. This would be great feature to stop people from using bots and alts, the two most heinous evils of Haven. To regain your Tedium you'd have to do a variety of tasks from across the spectrum.

Tedium Intensity
Certain crafting elements could be broken down into their respective abilities and the more you do that task you'd gain Tedium Intensity.
Example: As you keep farming your farming intensity would keep growing and after reaching a threshold of intensity stacks, it would begin to tick against your Tedium. So to prevent this you could go do some cooking or sewing work to break the stacks back down and let your Tedium recover.
By forcing the player to stop what they're doing and lower their Tedium intensities for the ability they're spamming it would force people to use more diverse characters and stop niche alts. This would also further complicate the evils of botting.

An alternative to the Intensity system certain tasks could also give you negative tedium modifiers, for instance:

If you were to spend all your time mining you'd eventually get a debuff like "Cave-touched: you yearn for the kiss of sun on flesh. The endless mines weaken your resolve..." This debuff could give you a negative modifier to your smithing and stength. Another debuff could be "Weaver's Wrist: a fire burns in your hands. Perhaps the wheel should lay still..." This one could reduce your sewing and dexterity. I feel like these debuffs would create an opportunity for some creative descriptions and immersion.

Another interesting interaction this could add is suicide and suicide prevention. Hearthlings would be able to craft nooses from rope. And a Hearthling that has dangerously low Tedium would be easily tempted to hang himself. So say, if you're going through your cupboards and stumble upon a rope while low Tedium, there'd be a suicide check. If the Hearthling fails the suicide check the player will lose control of their Hearthling and he will begin to craft a noose and build the courage to end it all. To prevent this, the Hearthling would have to reach out to nearby kin in an effort to save him. This would foster players to befriend each other, lest they be driven to end it all. This could also be used offensively. You could leave nooses laying outside your enemies village and tempt them if they let their Tedium drop too low.

I feel like this Tedium system would add a healthy dose of immersive gameplay to the Hearthlands and serve to create an improved environment for its players. I'd love to see your feedback, perhaps I forgot to illustrate some points of the system, let me know!
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Re: Tedium, a Feature

Postby Glorthan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Another interesting interaction this could add is suicide and suicide prevention. Hearthlings would be able to craft nooses from rope. And a Hearthling that has dangerously low Tedium would be easily tempted to hang himself. So say, if you're going through your cupboards and stumble upon a rope while low Tedium, there'd be a suicide check. If the Hearthling fails the suicide check the player will lose control of their Hearthling and he will begin to craft a noose and build the courage to end it all. To prevent this, the Hearthling would have to reach out to nearby kin in an effort to save him. This would foster players to befriend each other, lest they be driven to end it all. This could also be used offensively. You could leave nooses laying outside your enemies village and tempt them if they let their Tedium drop too low.

What the fuck.
Glorthan

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:56 pm

I do the same job all day during the week and do not kill myself from it. Some people enjoy in their work. I do not think your premise is sense making.

Additional, game mechanics incentivizes players doing specialization. I do not think major mechanics should be conflicting so muchly.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby synaris » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:08 pm

this would absolutely kill village life where everyone generally has one or two jobs. hell i know two guys who only ever do ONE thing. and enjoy the hell out of it.

this would also making landscaping large projects take EVEN MORE time. as if it wasnt horrible enough. now my character can kill himself from digging too much? then again i guess you could suicide a bunch of alts on a digging project, but jorbtar said they wanted to move in a direction where people had LESS alts, not more.

this would also kill hermitages unless they multi logged, not to mention, people will multi log to exploit the kin saving them from suicide feature.

im completly against this.
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:13 pm

Signed.
DDDsDD999

Postby boshaw » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Another shitty idea born from the desire to stop bots by making the game worse and failing to actually stop bots.

+1 hogman
Last edited by boshaw on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boshaw

Postby Cayur » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:18 pm

player count is a feature
Cayur

Postby Onep » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:20 pm

synaris wrote:this would also kill hermitages unless they multi logged, not to mention, people will multi log to exploit the kin saving them from suicide feature.

Hmm.. good idea. Perhaps Charisma should be tied into the ability to talk your kin out of suicide? Charisma is definitely lacking in utility at the moment.

Edit: Actually, it should be Cha x Stealth. Because you need to be subtle when dealing with someone on the edge.

Onep

Postby smileyguy4you » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:22 pm

so if i have a large farm i could not farm it all on one character, time to make 3 farm alts instead of one, more botting yay
smileyguy4you

Postby Onep » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:37 pm

smileyguy4you wrote:so if i have a large farm i could not farm it all on one character, time to make 3 farm alts instead of one, more botting yay

Saying a "large farm" is entirely relative. And none of the formula have been established yet.

Onep

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas