Game Development: Catapult Metallic

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Catapult Metallic

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:38 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added support for variable materials on catapults.
  • Added/Re-added Metal Pavings. In Legacy this was leniently costed at one nugget per tile, but here we went with the obviously more reasonable one bar per tile. Metal paving recently suggested here and here. You may use any metal.

Siege Changes
-----------------------
  • Claim shields now regain 300HP per hour, rather than 1000.
  • A claim shield that has been broken (Reduced to zero HP) goes online again at 2400 HP, rather than 8000 as previously, to maintain the relationship that it takes eight hours to go from broken to online again.
  • Shields can take up to 5000HP damage per hour, rather than 4000, with diminishing returns still kicking in after 2000HP damage.
  • Newly established claims begin without shield, and have to charge it up.
  • Catapults have a one hour initial drying period before they can be fired, rather than six hours. They still have a cooldown of one hour after repairs. Do note that we changed this relative our first suggestion of no initial drying time, to err a bit on the side of caution.
  • Charter stones now disable when their shield goes below 55000HP, rather than 48000. Not sure if it matters much.
  • Geysers now spawn 300 brimstone globally per day, rather than 100. We cautiously set this lower than our initial suggestion.
  • Catapults now have their range slightly randomized upon build. They should now also have their range indicated by a range circle when using the catapult.

A more cautious build than we initially proposed. We'll see where it lands. Warfare is in any event a lot easier now than it was.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • All localized resource nodes (crystals, geysers, trees, salt basins, &c) can now be inspected to see how much resources they have buffered presently.
  • Fixed the inventory expansion items bug!!! Aw yeah!!!
  • Fixed a bug by which it was possible to bypass visitor debuff by mounting mounts.
  • Fixed a bug by which wheelbarrows could be remote controlled and bypass the visitor debuff. Wheelbarrows can also no longer be used while mounted.
  • Hopefully fixed a bug by which it was possible to walljump using Great Halls.
  • Made it so that a character cannot be inherited until eight hours after his birth, as (kind of) per this suggestion, this to disincentivize spamming a cycle of death and inheritence with harrassment characters.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • You can now visit Valhalla with any living character, rather than dead ones.
  • Made wall items out of troll loot. Tails, tusks, hair, eyes, nose, bones, ears, as per this suggestion.
  • Made rowboats stashable in everything except other rowboats (knarr, leanto, cart, wagon, &c), as per this suggestion.
  • Fixed a bug whereby Knarrs required sketch discovery to be buildable. Reported here.
  • Inheritance runestones should display runes again. Cape awarded to loftar.
  • Fixed one and two bugs relating to female hair mesh-bleeding through Pilgrim's hat and bronze helmet.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
Loftar has, barring a couple of smaller matters, more or less completed the client optimization project. As this may contain a fair amount of bugs and whatnot, we're going to slowroll it out with an alternative client download at first, until it has proven itself ready for fullscale deployment. Loftar will post a download link whenever he has it up, running, and ready.

Ojbect-controlled objects and AI-improvements are two things we have considered as the next development goal. An improved fighting system is also something we'd like to do.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Catapult Metallic

Postby Duane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:40 pm

Here's to hoping I go for as long as possible without having to test the siege mechanics.

#hermits

Quick, how terrible does bronze paving look? WHAT ABOUT WROUGHT?

Edit: Pras!, Sprucecap, etc.
Last edited by Duane on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duane

Postby NOOBY93 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:42 pm

loftar must be so happy he got that cape
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby ravenguard19 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Finally, now i can pave my whole village with gold that i don't have!

Because we can and we will.... die!
ravenguard19

Postby evilboy666 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

1 bar per tile nigga?
evilboy666

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Cool
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby stchristopher » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Made rowboats stashable in everything except other rowboats (knarr, leanto, cart, wagon, &c), as per this suggestion.

Thank. You.
stchristopher

Postby loftar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:44 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:loftar must be so happy he got that cape

"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby stya » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Made wall items out of troll loot. Tails, tusks, hair, eyes, nose, bones, ears, as per this suggestion.
Made rowboats stashable in everything except other rowboats (knarr, leanto, cart, wagon, &c), as per this suggestion.

This, nice. :D
stya

Postby VDZ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:45 pm

jorb wrote:Wheelbarrows can also no longer be used while mounted.

Why? I used to do this a lot, now I'll have to get off my horse each time I want to load/unload my wheelbarrows. Any specific reason this is no longer possible?
VDZ

Next

Return to Announcements