Game Development: Bagpipe Brawl

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Bagpipe Brawl

Postby jorb » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:53 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added Bagpipe.

Combat Changes Pushed to Real Server
-----------------------
  • Lowered the angle spread of ranged weapons. Ranged weapons should generally speaking be more accurate.
  • Lowered the aiming speed of ranged weapons significantly. Ranged weapons now aim slower.
  • Reduced the base damage of bows to ~60%. Left it as was for slings. Increased it for spears.
  • Bow reloads automatically after firing.
  • Increased combat cooldown after firing a ranged weapon from 30 to 50.
  • Arrows have 5% armor penetration.
  • There is now a 50% aiming speed debuff whenever you are mounted.
  • There is now a (short) minimum distance required for all ranged weapons. I.e. you can't shoot effectively at things you're standing next to.
  • Reduced the relative importance of Agility for determining cooldowns in close combat. Values are now what they were in Legacy.

Combat Changes Pushed to Test Server (including the above)
-----------------------
  • All unarmed attacks have 25% armor penetration, and all melee attacks have 10%.
  • Added "Sidestep" move. Costs 5IP to remove 20+ % Defense.
  • Increased the cooldown on "Hunker Down" from 175 to 200.

The .jnlp for the test server is (still) here: http://sh.seatribe.se/hafen/java/ftest.jnlp

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We've begun adapting the animals to the new fighting system, and will hopefully push it to the real server next week.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Bagpipe Brawl

Postby MadNomad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:54 am

Finally bows are nerfed, i would like to ask for having even lower damage when using on horses.
Last edited by MadNomad on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadNomad

Postby Onep » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:55 am

Interdasting
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 am

finally bows have been nerfed....... also bagpipes are awesome
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby loftar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 am

jorb wrote:
  • Lowered the angle spread of ranged weapons. Ranged weapons should generally speaking be more accurate.

For the record, the angle spread was not just lowered, but it uses a different curve from previously. Generally speaking, the aiming meter should now more closely work like a "hit chance" meter, whereas previously almost the entire actual chance to hit something was focused in the extreme upper range of the meter.

MadNomad wrote:Finally bows are nerfed, i would like to ask for having even slower aim speed and lower damage when using on horses.

They do indeed have slower aim speed on horses (though damage is the same). Quite significantly slower, I might add.

Also, as usual, I'd just like to add that I'm only so happy with the bagpipe sounds. Finding good instrument sounds is difficult.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby SeventhSandwich » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 am

jorb wrote:[*] Added Bagpipe.[/list]

SeventhSandwich wrote:Looking at all the instruments, I'm completely dumbstruck by the fact there's no bagpipes.

After all, they are the most rustic and ubiquitous instrument ever. Pretty much every agricultural society with tanned animal hides and wood has found a way to create bagpipes of some kind. It doesn't get much simpler than a watertight bag and a wooden reed.

I play bagpipes IRL and would be glad to give some advice about how to implement them.

jorb wrote:I really have no excuse.

Based Jorb.
SeventhSandwich

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:57 am

archery stuff sounds promising game sounds like it may be safe to play again ty
ChildhoodObesity

Postby jorb » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:58 am

SeventhSandwich wrote:Based Jorb.

You're welcome.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MadNomad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:59 am

loftar wrote:
jorb wrote:

For the record, the angle spread was not just lowered, but it uses a different curve from previously. Generally speaking, the aiming meter should now more closely work like a "hit chance" meter, whereas previously almost the entire actual chance to hit something was focused in the extreme upper range of the meter.

MadNomad wrote:Finally bows are nerfed, i would like to ask for having even slower aim speed and lower damage when using on horses.

They do indeed have slower aim speed on horses (though damage is the same). Quite significantly slower, I might add.

Also, as usual, I'd just like to add that I'm only so happy with the bagpipe sounds. Finding good instrument sounds is difficult.

Indeed, my mistake, fixed my post.
MadNomad

Postby SeventhSandwich » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:59 am

jorb wrote:
SeventhSandwich wrote:Based Jorb.

You're welcome.

Was that an overnight development or just good timing?
SeventhSandwich

Next

Return to Announcements