Game Development: Loose Ends

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Loose Ends

Postby jorb » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:46 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added "Spicy Salad", food.

Combat Changes
-----------------------
  • Made it so that ranged damage scales linearly with the aim meter, rather than quadratically. Generally speaking this should increase damage significantly. One thing we didn't properly consider when we remade archery last week was precisely the aim meter's effect on damage. With the increased accuracy we added it should be possible now to hit with, say, about only half the meter charged, or whatever, but doing so of course reduced damage more than was perhaps intended. Cautiously trying this for now, but wouldn't be entirely opposed to buffing base damage back up a bit if it's too little.
  • Reduced the aim penalty from being mounted from 50% to 75%.
  • Fixed a bug by which ctrl-clicking to move did not properly indicate aiming direction.
  • Made it so that you do not dismount another rider by hurting his horse, if you yourself are mounted. You can still hurt and knock the horse out.

Siege Changes
-----------------------
  • Made it so that when you siege an object, all shields covering that object take damage. I.e. if a personal claim and a village claim overlap to both protect the object hit, both shields take full damage. If one of two overlapping claims has no shield left, the object and the still charged shield both take damage.
  • Made it so that extending a personal claim reduces its shield by the same factor with which it was extended. (E.g. claim is increased in size by a factor 10, shield drops to 1/10). If such an extension would reduce the shield beneath 2400, the shield will also go inactive.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a bug by which mount passengers could interact with containers remotely.
  • Snowball fights now meaningful as per this suggestion.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Added an error message when you can't place a well due to terrain. Reported here.
  • Made it so that scythe quality reduces stamina drain from using scythe. Suggested here.
  • Gave Troll meat some satiation against Meat. Reported here.
  • Fixed a problem with teleporting while on wagon.
  • Fixed the wall rotation of Völva's Wand. Reported here.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • The floating-point and combat test servers have been merged to one test server, quite simply. You can test combat in Valhalla, and everything else in the game world as you see fit.
  • We'll push all of these changes to the test server tonight. If there are no pressing reasons why we shouldn't, we would like to push to the main server tomorrow night, and thus bring the new combat system to the real server.
  • We are not necessarily entirely satisified with every aspect of the new combat system, but we also feel that we need to push it to the live environment at some point, to actually get a real feel for what we need to change.
  • Loftar's side projects still include object push-out and object-controlled objects. Those things aside we see, after some analysis, our main priority as significantly increasing the dynamism of the world to provide more ingame events to partake in, in order to remove or reduce the staleness of older worlds. We want to work on PvP, trade, social interaction, and quests. We do not have a quick fix formula, but we have some ideas.
  • We would like to stay on top of combat and keep iterating on it, so keep the feedback coming. It is very valuable.

The .jnlp for the test server is: here.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Loose Ends

Postby Onep » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:50 am

Interesting changes to siege. I think it really needed it.

I'll have to give archery a try soon.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Ysh » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:50 am

I think you overuse phrase ''quite simply'' in this patch.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Onep » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:51 am

jorb wrote:Made it so that scythe quality reduces stamina drain from using scythe. Suggested here

YESSSSS

Onep

Postby jorb » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:53 am

Ysh wrote:I think you overuse phrase ''quite simply'' in this patch.

I overuse it generally, tbt.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby Onep » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:02 am

Pretty solid patch I feel. Touched several areas that needed some attention. Good werks.

Onep

Postby smileyguy4you » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:04 am

jorb wrote:[*] We'll push all of these changes to the test server tonight. If there are no pressing reasons why we shouldn't, we would like to push to the main server tomorrow night, and thus bring the new combat system to the real server.

so is none of this on the main server yet or just the combat stuff? if just the combat stuff does that include the changes to archery?

and thx for the scythe change!
smileyguy4you

Postby jorb » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 am

Onep wrote:Pretty solid patch I feel. Touched several areas that needed some attention. Good werks.

Thanks.

smileyguy4you wrote:so is none of this on the main server yet or just the combat stuff? if just the combat stuff does that include the changes to archery?

None of this is on the real server yet. Couldn't be arsed to split it up since it's a bunch of small things here and there.

jorb

Postby SiO2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 am

Made it so that extending a personal claim reduces its shield by the same factor with which it was extended. (I.e. Claim increases 20% in size, shield loses 20%). If such an extension would reduce the shield beneath 2400, the shield will also go inactive.

siege camp shield stay tough. Nice.
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Postby smileyguy4you » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 am

jorb wrote:None of this is on the real server yet. Couldn't be arsed to split it up since it's a bunch of small things here and there.

ok cool just wanted to make sure :D
smileyguy4you

Next

Return to Announcements