Reskinning and Image Modding

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Moderator: Phades

Reskinning and Image Modding

Postby theTrav » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:30 am

Ok, so a couple of people have asked me to help them out in getting the images out of the .res files.

1 - Download haven-res.jar http://www.havenandhearth.com/java/haven-res.jar
2 - Download the haven res tool http://haven-client.googlecode.com/files/havenResUtil_v5.jar

= Steps for Extracting Images =
3 - Unzip the haven-res.jar (use 7zip) to the same folder your exporter util is (after exporting you should have a folder called res)
4 - Execute the exporter util. Some OSes will let you just double click it, others will need you to run java -jar exportHavenRes_allplatforms.jar
5 - Select "extract" and hit ok

= OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED =
6 - Create a new folder structure that matches the new one that has been created under ./out call it ./mod, you should not have ./out ./res and ./mod that all look identical in terms of folder structure but have slightly different contents.
7 - If you want to edit a png, copy it to the new folder structure, edit and save it there
8 - when you are ready to encode your changes copy the contents of the ./mod folder on top of the ./out folder

= Steps for Encoding Images =
9 - Execute the eporter util (see step 4)
10 - select "encode" and hit ok

Your changes should now be encoded int the ./res folder. You can use an archiving program (like 7zip) to replace the ./res folder in the haven-res.jar file or create your own jar file if you're savvy I don't care.

This version of the res tool has been almost completely untested. I made sure it executes, but have no idea whether the .res files it produces are valid or not yet.
WARNING: I bear no liability for the behavior of this software. It may kill your wife, rape your dog and subscribe you to mailing lists for horrible myspace goth poetry anthologies. Use at your own risk. Src available from http://haven-client.googlecode.com/files/havenrestool_v5_src.zip I should apologize for how hideous it is, but I'm not going to.

=======Mod Edit by Phades=====
Additional Tools:
EnderWiggin wrote:Here you can get version of extractor modded (and used) by me - it extracts and encodes resources using relative paths in metadata. It needs res folder in same place as this jar file. and will decode all resources found into out/res/ folder. Encoding occurs in reverse - takes from out/res/ and encodes to res/ folder.

=============================
Last edited by theTrav on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
theTrav

Re: Reskinning and Image Modding

Postby jorb » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 am

...but why, when all graphics are already perfect? ;)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby warrri » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:36 am

Because flax and wheat still suck major dicks on not so super pcs. Because it is helpful to be able to look behind cabins, walls, trees and whatnots. Because it also can be funny to have a non dicked cave :x
The world I love The tears I drop To be part of The wave can't stop
Ever wonder if it's all for you
The world I love The trains I hop To be part of The wave can't stop
Come and tell me when it's time to
warrri

Postby Onionfighter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:37 am

Finally I can make a Star Wars mod for this game.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby theTrav » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:07 am

jorb wrote:...but why, when all graphics are already perfect? ;)

So we can steal your proprietary graphics and use them in our own projects of course!

I mean umm... to make them more phallic?
theTrav

Postby Onionfighter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:27 am

theTrav wrote:I mean umm... to make them more phallic?

H&H, Giger edition.
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby sabinati » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:58 pm

sweet
sabinati

Postby Chakravanti » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 pm

warrri wrote:Because flax and wheat still suck major dicks on not so super pcs.

Yes, I want a wheat fix user mod please =D
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Darki » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:53 pm

And now we all know that Jorb is that guy who has made all kind of good stuff like key rings and book stuff for us and Loftar is too lazy to code it in :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also uhh hud and then buttons :o mm loot in water :D
Last edited by Darki on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darki

Postby Jackard » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 pm

theTrav wrote:Ok, so a couple of people have asked me to help them out in getting the images out of the .res files.

1 - Download haven-res.jar http://www.havenandhearth.com/java/haven-res.jar
2 - Download the exporter util http://haven-client.googlecode.com/files/exportHavenRes_3.jar
3 - Unzip the haven-res.jar (use 7zip) to the same folder your exporter util is (after exporting you should have a folder called res)
4 - Execute the exporter util. Some OSes will let you just double click it, others will need you to run java -jar exportHavenRes_allplatforms.jar

It should create a folder called out and dump a TON of png's into various sub-folders.

I have not made a way to put it back into haven .res format yet, gimme a day or two for that.

EDIT version 3- outputs to correct folders now

thanks a lot man
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Next

Return to The Wizards' Tower