Game Development: Breath of Air

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Breath of Air

Postby Ysh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:49 pm

Myrgard wrote:Ozzy, not everyone shares your world view - I don't like to pvp as the main goal, yes it's a factor that makes the game interesting, but it's not everything.

For me it's about amassing wealth, slowly rising from a hermit that owns nothing to someone who can buy more or less everything. The idea about kingdoms is interesting in that sense - you can have knights like you to fight/pillage/raid etc. and you can have merchants who pay the knights to fight, and die :twisted: for them.

Take his meaning ''PvP'' to say ''player driven content'' which PvP is most obvious example. Endgame must be driven by player, because developer can not produce enough content to satisfy the player fast enough. Blizzard World of Warcraft has many people work on it (hundreds? thousands?) and they can not produce content fast enough for all player. Jorb and loftar have no chance to use strategy of hand crafted PvE content to be most of the source of content in game.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Gensokyo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:03 pm

ven wrote:
jorb wrote:I don't want the game to have an end.

Real life doesnt have an end because its always changing. In the game all change must be made by players, as the world itself is static. As you see, thats not enough to fuel a world forever. We need continuous challenges to remain attached to the game.

Pretty much this, with given enough freedom and ability to change the world and the surrounding things of it, people can spend amazing amounts of time on games.

I still think that the whole limited resource area of world 3 should be utilized somehow still to this day, even if it comes to something as simple as the higher % smelt metals.
Gensokyo

Postby Redlaw » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Then past a few of the mager things they have been working on, the adding of more food, animals, foragables and so on is the goal in the long term. Giving people more and more reasons to keep playing.

More quests as well, new thing that is a great area to explore.
Redlaw

Postby sMartins » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:33 pm

I don't like quests, but i have no problem with them too...i can ignore them.
Btw,in my mind in a really cool and complex game like this one, i think that quests should be made by players...for example, i need 100 spruce logs: i can set a quest outside my claim that everyone can read to bring me those logs in change of something else, moreover some bonus to have cooperated with other people...something like that.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Redlaw » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:41 pm

quests can be expanded on in a few ways:

Great sprit quests (local resource spirits giving you quests)
a Spirit guide (you use hearth magic to summon a guid that will even give quests in an urban invermant)
and player set quests

I hope jorb and loftar can expand in all these directions on the quest idea. All will be needed, as one is you can set a reward and have people do some of the work for you. The rest is just a way to get people to break up staying safe in a palisade ect...
Redlaw

Postby Jacobian123 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:26 pm

sMartins wrote:I don't like quests, but i have no problem with them too...i can ignore them.
Btw,in my mind in a really cool and complex game like this one, i think that quests should be made by players...for example, i need 100 spruce logs: i can set a quest outside my claim that everyone can read to bring me those logs in change of something else, moreover some bonus to have cooperated with other people...something like that.

This. We need public quest boards we can build ourselves and create our own quests with our own rewards.
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby Ysh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:30 pm

Jacobian123 wrote:
sMartins wrote:I don't like quests, but i have no problem with them too...i can ignore them.

This. We need public quest boards we can build ourselves and create our own quests with our own rewards.

In the mean time, you can approximate function of this one here:
viewforum.php?f=55
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Previous

Return to Announcements