Game Development: Bumfights

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Bumfights

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:41 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

We've made significantly enough invasive changes to the combat system to merit thinking of it as a new system. These are the details.

Combat Schools & Discoveries
-----------------------
  • The presently running Combat School system has been scrapped in favor of the one we used in the last attempt at a new fighting system, i.e...
  • Players may have up to ten different combat effects (Attacks, Restorations, Maneuvers & Moves) per Combat School.
  • Players have 30 points to spend weighting combat effects when creating a Combat School, and may spend a maximum of five points per effect.
  • Spending more points on a combat effect increases the efficiency of said combat effect in that school. The meaning of increasing the weight of some particular combat effect is indicated in the descriptive text for that combat effect by a μ-symbol (Mu). The actual value of μ ranges from 1 to 1.5, depending on your weighting. Usually, a higher weight for some particular combat effect will serve to reduce its cooldown, increase its damage, or the like.
  • You have a chance of gaining a new combat effect whenever you kill an animal. All animals have a unique list of combat effects that they may give on death.

Attacks & Damage
-----------------------
  • The primary effect an attack has, is now to add an "Opening", to the target. Openings are color coded along the usual four different attack dimensions -- Striking (Green), Sweeping (Yellow), Oppresive (Red) and Backhanded (Blue) -- and are correspondingly called "Off Balance", "Reeling", "Cornered", and "Dizzy". Openings are built up from 0 to 100%, and all attacks add some amount of Openings to their target.
  • Attacks specify some percentage of openings which they add to their targets, for example 20% "Reeling". If an attack says that it adds 20% "Reeling", that means that it will add 20% of whatever is left until the target has an opening of 100%. For example: If a target is already 40% Reeling, and is hit by an attack which adds 20% Reeling, the attack will add (1 - 0.4) * 0.2 = 0.12 = 12%, and thus bring the target up to 52% Reeling. This, of course, then modified by the Attack and Block weight comparison between the player's respective combat values, which still works as it always has.
  • The secondary effect an attack has, is to deal damage to the target. Damage is as usual specified per attack, weapon, strength bonus, &c, but is also modified by the target's Openings. The more Openings a target has matching the Attack Dimensions of the attack, the more damage the target will take from the attack. If the target has no openings matching the attack (On the first attack of a fight, for example) it will also be dealt no damage.
  • The base damage of an attack, modified by the strength bonus, is multiplied with the square of the Opening, to determine final damage. Example: A red attack, with a total damage of 50, hits a target with 50% "Cornered" opening. The target takes 50 * (0.5 * 0.5) = 12.5 points of damage. Had the target instead been 60% "Cornered", it would have taken 50 * (0.6 * 0.6) = 18 points of damage.
  • If there are multiple openings matching the attack -- many attacks target more than one attack dimension -- the inverse of these are multiplied to determine the product to be squared to determine the final damage. Example: A yellow and blue attack, with a total damage of 50, hits a target with 30% "Reeling", and 50% "Dizzy", that is the yellow and blue openings respectively. The total amount of matching Openings are thus 1 - ((1 - 0.3) * (1 - 0.5)) = 0.65, and the target takes 50 * (0.65 * 0.65) = 21.125 points of damage.
  • Cute math, but the bottom line is simply that more Openings in the target yield more damage per attack, and that damage scales better than linearly with the amount of Openings.

Restorations
-----------------------
  • The old blocks are no more, and have instead been reimplemented as "Restorations". Restorations are combat moves which reduce Openings in the fighter using them. Like the attacks (and the blocks from the old system) these are color matched to the Attack Dimensions.
  • All Restorations reduce Openings in their matched dimensions by some amount, specified per Restoration and dimension.
  • A restoration redcuces its targeted Openings by some percentage of what they already have. Example: A Restoration reduces the blue (Backhanded/Dizzy) dimension by 20%, and the fighter using the Restoration is presently 50% Dizzy. The fighter will lose 0.2 * 0.5 = 0.1, i.e. 10%, Dizzy, and will, after having used the restoration, thus have 40% Dizzy left.
  • You will notice how we, relative to the old system, effectively have inverted how blocks and openings work. A player now always begins a clean fight in a state of maximum protection -- with no need to explicitly build up defenses -- where he before would inversely be in a state of maximum vulnerability at the start of a fight. The new regime reduces the gankiness of the system significantly.

Maneuvers
-----------------------
  • All players always have a Maneuver active. These are a concept borrowed from Legacy Haven's fighting system, and they work pretty much as they did there. Bottom line is that Maneuvers have two functions...
  • The primary function of the Maneuver is to determine which Character value -- Melee or Unarmed -- is used when determing the fighter's Block Weight, i.e. which fighting value he relies upon.
  • The secondary function of the Maneuver is that many maneuvers have some effect which is activated every time an opponent uses an effect against the target using the Maneuver. The Maneuver "Death or Glory", for example, gains the fighter using it some amount of IP every time an opponent uses an effect against him/her.
  • Maneuvers are highly relevant in fights against multiple opponents, where they will be activated frequently.
  • Maneuvers differ from other combat effects in that they are gained by learning skills, rather than through Combat discoveries, and in that you will, thus, only ever be able to put one copy of any one of them in your combat school. You may still have several different maneuvers, of course.

Moves
-----------------------
  • Combat moves are simply Combat effects that do not have an immediate offensive or defensive effect. "Take Aim", for example, simply gains initiative points for the person using it.

Armor & Armor penetration
-----------------------
  • We have made some changes to how armor works.
  • Armor used to subtract all hard soak from incoming damage, before distributing the damage over the armor parts to remove the soft soak and deal damage to the armor. This had the effect that one piece of armor would protect not only the player, but also other pieces of armor on him. This has been changed, so that damage is first distributed over the armor parts, which then subtract hard and soft soaks individually.
  • All attacks have been given some amount of armor penetration. The philosophy that we have used is to give more armor penetration to attacks with lower base damages. Unarmed attacks usually have around 30%, and Swords usually around 5%, with axes somewhere inbetween, &c. The game will at some point present this dynamically.

Miscellanea & Observations
-----------------------
  • We have been very happy with how this system has played out in testing. There are a lot of interesting decision points, the system is relatively straight-forward, and I think it is arguable that it should be uncontroversially considered better than what we have had in the past.
  • That being said there may, of course, be all kinds of crazy imbalances that we haven't spotted. There are 41 different Combat Effects in total, and matching, weighting, and testing the full possibility space is impossible for two people. Feel free to help out.
  • We have added several attacks which target more than one opponent. This, of course, precisely to aid when fighting multiple opponents.
  • Animals again give some amount of learning points when killed. Have fun with that.
  • All animal fighting behaviors have pretty much been reimplemented from scratch, and they may thus be significantly more dangerous than you've known them. Mammoths and Trolls in particular should be engaged with caution.
  • I can't preclude all possible questions and issues in this post, so I'll take questions and update the OP.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added "Lynx Claws", curio, gilding.
  • Added "Cheesecake", food.
  • Added "Dressed Salad", food.

Fixes
-----------------------
  • Buffed Grotesque Idol and Menhir to give +3 to each stat, rather than +1, at a cost of only 250 Auth/Ingame day, rather than 500.
  • Gilding Song base cost is now multiplied by 2 for each time the Artifact has been sung to, and by 1.5 for each Gilding in it. This rather than by 2 for either.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We're going to do a nice things patch next week, and simply polish and iterate on the stuff we've done over last couple of patches. Quests, Kingdoms, Fighting, &c.

UPDATE YOUR CLIENTS, and...

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Bumfights

Postby Onep » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Bumfights? That sounds erotic.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby shubla » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Its a fukken update
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jesus_Smith_Nandez » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:47 pm

third
HnH Videos
God bless
Jesus_Smith_Nandez

Postby jordancoles » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi

Lobster traps, when?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Redlaw » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 pm

As I said I am glad I have steel armor and a full cavern of bats.... going to take a bit to get used to.But it is nice to have the right componets to relarn then try to relearn in the nude....
Redlaw

Postby Kaios » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:50 pm

So do we need to relearn all combat moves or whatever the fuck?
Kaios

Postby Artyom15 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Kaios wrote:So do we need to relearn all combat moves or whatever the fuck?

Nope, just logged in and I have all my combat moves.
Artyom15

Postby loftar » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:52 pm

Artyom15 wrote:Nope, just logged in and I have all my combat moves.

Yes, but that being said, there are of course also new ones to learn.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby CinderHeart » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:52 pm

Hoo hah a update
CinderHeart wrote:"Pedo mellon a minno" – "The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter."

──────▄▀▄─────▄▀▄
─────▄█░░▀▀▀▀▀░░█▄
─▄▄──█░░░░░░░░░░░█──▄▄
█▄▄█─█░░▀░░┬░░▀░░█─█▄▄█
CinderHeart

Next

Return to Announcements