Game Development: Milling Time

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Milling Time

Postby jorb » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:41 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Floating point coordinates. With tonight's patch we will, at long last, be converting the live server map from integer to floating point coordinates. This may have all manner of consequences know and unknown, in terms of object placements and movement interactions, and whatnot, so report any new and unexpected behaviors. It feels good to finally push this, at least. All clients need to be updated, and custom clients need to merge these changes.
  • Added "Windmill". A Windmill is a large house in which you can build a "Milling Machine". The machine is built separately from the Mill itself, in anticipation of other machineries that we may add in the future. Fill the machine with millable seeds, and watch it turn into glorious flour. There is no quality impact from the machine, and the resulting flour thus has the same qualities as the seeds.
  • Added "Wall Shelf". You can craft and hang a wall shelf on a wall, and it then functions as a container.
  • Re-added "Strongbox". The strongbox can't be built on claims without access to them, and also can't be moved.
  • You may now place locks on chests, large chests, stone caskets, coffers, and sheds.
  • There is now an informal weight system which allows us to specify weights on carried objects, and, thus, you may now carry lighter things -- pots, and whatnot -- at significantly increased speeds. A net result of this is that most things are, quite simply, a lot easier to carry. Carrying speed also increases with character strength.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Stinging nettle hangs better on walls.
  • Yarrow is now a flower, and can be hung on walls

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • The majority of the time over the past weeks has been dedicated to a push-out mechanic, by which characters, when colliding, would gracefully slide off objects, rather than clip hard on every little pixel. We had hoped to have it finished, but it isn't, albeit underway, so we decided to push what other little things we had to at least throw you a bone. Apologies for the delays, but it's kind of a big deal.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Milling Time

Postby wilkesbooth » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:42 pm

jorb wrote:Floating point coordinates. With tonight's patch we will, at long last, be converting the live server map from integer to floating point coordinates. This may have all manner of consequences know and unknown, in terms of object placements and movement interactions, and whatnot, so report any new and unexpected behaviors. It feels good to finally push this, at least.

wilkesbooth

Postby shubla » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:43 pm

Also, what changes?
Update the repo please https://github.com/dolda2000/hafen-client
Or will it not be merged to main core for now?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby burnemall » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 pm

YES! Thank you!
burnemall

Postby jordancoles » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:45 pm

So epic lol

Thanks!
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Ysh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:45 pm

jorb wrote:
  • Floating point coordinates. With tonight's patch we will, at long last, be converting the live server map from integer to floating point coordinates. This may have all manner of consequences know and unknown, in terms of object placements and movement interactions, and whatnot, so report any new and unexpected behaviors. It feels good to finally push this, at least. All clients need to be updated, and custom clients need to merge these changes.

Stopped there. Thank you. I am finally vindicate!
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Redlaw » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Yay its an amazing update. Not to see if I want to knock down a mansion for a windmill lol.
Redlaw

Postby loftar » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:45 pm

By the way, as the FP test-server thread indicated, floating-point positioning technically allows for pixel-perfect placement of carried/built objects, but in practice I found this mostly annoying since it made it impossible to align objects properly. Therefore, when Ctrl-placing objects, the client will by default lock positions to eighths of a tile. This is adjustable, though, by way of a new :placegrid console command that will set how many positions to lock placement to. I've found :placegrid 2 to be fairly useful in common situations. Also, :placegrid 0 turns off locking entirely to allow for arbitrary placement of objects.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:46 pm

The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby xADIKx » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:46 pm

WINDMILL!!! :D Dreams of my farmer comes true....
xADIKx

Next

Return to Announcements