Game Development: I am the Walrus

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: I am the Walrus

Postby jorb » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:03 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added Walrii. These feisty badboys chillax on beaches. They are agressive, swim, and should quite generally be approached with a fair bit of prejudice.
  • Added "Nut Pale", hair color. "Monk", male hairdo. "Bunround", female hairdo. "Neat Beard", beard.
  • Added "Gilding Rock", alternate quest reward.
  • Added "Plumb-bob", gilding.
  • Added "Polished Porphyry Beads", gilding.
  • Added "Woodsman's Token", gilding.
  • Added "Stone Table", stone table.
  • Added "Cone Gruel", food.
  • Added "Toad Butter", medicine.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • The claim permissions for private claims have been reworked for congruency with village and realm claims, in that the White permissions group now applies to All players, rather than only to those who are marked as white in your buddy list. All previously set White permissions on private claims have been cleared as a transitory measure. Also added a textual note in the interfaces informing that the White group is used to set permissions to all.
  • New members of Realms and Villages are by default set to the white group. Fixing this.
  • Fixed a bug by which it was possible to use Knarrs and boats to teleport while redhanded.
  • Made it so that bodies being dismounted are scattered outside the bounding box of the mount, on account of this.
  • Fixed a bug by which it was possible to kite animals using various moves. Reported here, among other places.
  • Fixed a bug by which it was possible to cross world borders using cliffs.
  • Fixed the highly annoying waiting for map data bug!
  • There have been several requests for auto-drinking. We've now made it so that the character will auto-drink from any hotkeyed vessel -- i.e. vessel on hotbelt -- containing water, whenever he would otherwise stop due to low stamina. After he finishes drinking he should, for most tasks, resume his labors again. Not sure if this is good, or too particular, or whatever.
  • The first character in a bloodline may always inherit without inheritance timer. Not glorious, but perhaps OK. Bring on the slave alts.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Foodbuffs from variable crafting inputs are culled at 5% to prevent this.
  • Probably fixed an "Execution canceled" client crash bug.
  • Fixed a bug by which pitbaked stuff took quality from fireplaces. They do not do that now. Increased the ash timer on pitbaked goods. Reported here.
  • Fixed a bug by which saving a combat deck without having a deck selected would crash the client. Reported here.
  • Fixed a bug by which bears could bring openings above 100.
  • Fixed a bug by which it was possible to dismount people using the inspect action on horses.
  • Fixed some problems with animal watch zones, reported here.
  • Fixed some problems with study desks breaking and becoming inaccesible when their owner dies, or when they have been stashed in a boat or whatnot. Reported here and here.
  • Fixed a bug by which dead characters could use Hearthmagics.
  • Beehives without access to quality crops will gradually stop producing high Q honey. Reported here.
  • Fixed a bug by which a replacement wound applied before removing the targeted wound caused death. Reported here.
  • Abandoned quests should no longer pop up if their quest goals are completed. Reported here and here.
  • Failed quest objectives are now indicated by an X, and completed ones by a V-success mark, to help those challenged in the color seeing department. Suggested here.
  • Fixed a bug by which zero damage wounds could appear. Reported here.
  • Fixed a bug by which large items, when picked in certain ways, could not be placed in equipment slots. Requires client update. Reported here.
  • Fixed a bad interaction between cart and wheelbarrow. Reported here. Also made it so that wheelbarrows are always carried at walking speed.
  • Fixed a bug by which boat speed limitations would break if you placed another object in the boat while carried.
  • Fixed a bug by which you could get an experience twice in short order. Reported here.
  • Fixed some minor text issue.
  • Removed a superflous bounding box check preventing ascent from blocked cellars. Reported here.
  • Using on claim milestones should no longer require that you turn on criminal acts. Accessing your own Hearth Fire dito. For mobiles (rowboat, cart, &c), the message that you are trying to perform an act requiring criminal acts is presented when you arrive at the object, rather than when you right-click them. Foraging should no longer require that you turn on criminal acts. All reported here.
  • Borked small animal names in quest goals should be resolved for future quests. Reported here.
  • Fixed a bug with the forkbeard throwing a vertex. Reported here.
  • Sewing, Dex and Tool Quality now all softcap wool quality.
  • For items; Ctrl + Hotkey lifts a hotkeyed item from inventory to hand. We've now also made it so that Ctrl + Hotkey again, with item on hand, puts the item back into the inventory again.
  • Operating a siege machine now requires trespassing, which means that they cannot be moved or operated if you have a visitor debuff active, fixing a PM report.
  • Fixed a bug by which belts did not drop their contents on player death.
  • Fixed three obscure client crash bugs.
  • Added a notification message when trying to craft relevant pottery without using a potter's wheel, fixing this.
  • Added a water splash when firing catapults into the sea. Suggested here.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We've had great response to the world reset. A lot of people have been playing, feedback has been pretty positive from what we can tell, and we've made a decent amount of money in the store. Big thank yous to all of you for playing, paying, and generally keeping Haven great. We'll try to keep earning it.
  • The game is in a good place, and we feel we can pick and choose what to work on. The immediate priority remains the push-out mechanic, and a non-exhaustive list of medium scope things I'd like to get done are: Look at fishing, qualitative Kingdom buffs, wolves, iterate on combat, deepen quests and quest giving, and rework death mechanics.
  • Large scope things on our list are: Object-controlled objects, and Seasons.
  • I have an ambition to intensify the propaganda. We'll do another live stream soon(tm).

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: I am the Walrus

Postby stchristopher » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:04 am

jorb wrote:[*] Large scope things on our list are: Object-controlled objects, and Seasons.

YES SEASONS
Last edited by stchristopher on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
stchristopher

Postby SmackMcBacon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:04 am

Amazing! :D
SmackMcBacon

Postby Burinn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 am

The plural of walrus is not walrii.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:07 am

Seasons Confirmed Mothertrucker! \o.o/!

I don't think you should have changed the inheritance timer thing, but I can kinda see some justification for that.

BRING ON THE WALRII!
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 am

DANK
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Ysh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 am

Lookin' good my man.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Onep » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:09 am

WAAALRUUUUS!!!
This is a dank update.
Last edited by Onep on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby Burinn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:10 am

Why was my cauldron report not addressed? You can't suppress the truth forever Jorb.
sabinati wrote:do you expect me to just check the forum constantly, fuck off
Burinn

Postby Kearn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:10 am

jorb wrote:[*] Fixed a bug by which pitbaked stuff took quality from fireplaces. They do not do that now. Increased the ash timer on pitbaked goods.

basically all i wanted
Kearn

Next

Return to Announcements