H&H Community Review

General discussion and socializing.

H&H Community Review

Postby sMartins » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:29 am

Haven & Hearth, The new world " World 10 " will launch on Saturday 7th of January, 2017.

Haven & Hearth is an Indie Sandbox MMORPG that is set in a persistent environment on a single server that permanently gets affected by what a player does during the game.

Are you looking for a realistic survival experience with a huge world to shape at your pleasure or where you can literrally lose/hide yourself?

For a fair price of free anyone is allowed to instantly jump into the world.

Hovewer be aware that H&H is an hardcore game, unforgiving and definately not for everyone, so unintuitive that it takes hours to figure out the simplest things, requiring the use of the Wiki, but at the same time every achievement you make in the game is very rewarding, cause you really had to work hard for it.

Made by 2 developers, in an Eternal Alpha stage, as they love to call it and inspired by UnrealWorld, an awesome rogue like from '90, H&H is most of all a labour of love and this will be very clear to you once you get into the game.

You’ll start your game journey naked, lone and lost with nothing and spawn in the middle of a vast wilderness. Slowly as you come to terms with the game world you will develop new skills and abilities to enhance the tasks that you have available. Eventually players can claim land, construct various buildings and start harvesting crops.

Your character is a blank slate at the start of each game, although it will inherit some stats if you have previously had a character and died. Everything in the game is permanent, and so also is your death.

Some features of the game:

• CRAFTING is exstensive and very in depth, even killing a chicken require many step:
    you had to "Wring his Neck" to receive a dead chicken, then, while wielding a sharpen tool, you can "Pluck" to receive feathers, then you can "Clean" to receive a Cleaned Chicken and Entrails, now you can spitroast over a fire to make Spitroast Chicken, or butcher to receive Chicken Meat and Bones.
  • SOCIAL interactions are a very important aspect of the game, one can be an hermit and learn all the skills needed for survival, or a group can build a village or even a kingdom, split skills between them to allow more customization and point efficiency. Playing with friends is easy too, you can build a "Wilderness Beacon" allowing new characters to spawn at the beacon to your location.
  • COMBAT is performed by your character selecting different attacks/defenses moves, that you can discover fighting wild animals and so building your own personal deck.
    You can craft many different armors to protect yourself and there are also melee, archery and siege weapons.
  • CHARACTER progression is pretty interesting and innovative, you will earn LP (learning Points) while discovering every new item in the game or studying some items that you can craft, forage or obtain in different ways in the game. Then you can spend those LP to learn new skills and raise your abilities.
  • GRAPHICS is 3D, isometric view. You can rotate the camera holding the mouse wheel and zooming in&out scrolling it. While the technical side of the game could certainly be improved the aesthetic is pleasant and contributes to the wilderness feeling of the game.

The H&H world is huge and plenty of possibilities: Explore,Foraging,Hunting,Fishing,Taming and Breeding,Terraforming,Farming and Cooking,Mining and Ore Smelting, Jewerly and many others, you are free to behave as you like, being an happy farmer or a criminal, Thieving from others bases, Raiding abandoned camps or even Murdering other players.

H&H was released for the first time in 2009 and is improving more and more during the years, recently with the Horse Mount, the " Knarr", a nice vessel that allow you to travel faster than a rowboat on the water way, the new in game World Map that give you a better understanding of the land around you allowing to mark location of interest and more new features with the upcoming World 10.

Usefull Links:

Java: The game requires Java to run, make sure to install the last version, 64 bit or according with your OS
Ring Of Brofdgar: The Wiki of the game
Sevenless' guide: A very usefull beginner guide that lead you into the game, some section may not be up to date, but still a very usefull guide
Twitch & Youtube
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Re: H&H Community Review

Postby sMartins » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 am

Reserved
sMartins

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 am

i like the first pic
ChildhoodObesity

Postby banok » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 pm

the game really can look quite nice, its a shame it runs so god awfully horribly even on a high end PC.

Not sure I can even participate w10 due to only having my laptop, which really should be good enough but they really need to work on optimisation. :(
banok

Postby sMartins » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Wow....4k views is not bad with only 3 replies.
P.S. I'm dumb, pls keep not replying this....so the views we see are more meaningful. Thx.
sMartins

Postby Shadow7168 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:41 pm

banok wrote:the game really can look quite nice, its a shame it runs so god awfully horribly even on a high end PC.

Not sure I can even participate w10 due to only having my laptop, which really should be good enough but they really need to work on optimisation. :(

Yeah, in a game where permadeath is a central feature you'd think that stable fps would be a pretty big priority.

I have a decent computer, it usually runs at 50-60fps but sometimes it'll drop to 4fps for no apparent reason.
Potjeh wrote:They're using swords as throwing weapons now? Damn cheaters!

MagicManICT wrote:Most raiders aren't into choking another man's chicken. They can do some pretty gay shit, but that's usually the line.
Shadow7168

Postby ven » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I can run Kerbal Space Program and a heavily modded Skyrim smoother than Haven. In w8 I realized that what made me lag was people (living in a village nearly doubled my memory usage), so I started hermitting with only one friend. Realizing props also gave me lag, I then began making spread-out bases - farm, industry, storage and housing a few minimaps away from each other. It progressively got worse, and I've hermitted alone for a long time up until I gave up. I have no idea what could be causing this. Restarting the client every 15 minutes seems to solve the issue, but it also tends to annoy people.
Venator
ven

Postby Jalpha » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 pm

There might be another memory leak. It's a great game it's just a shame it was written in Java.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Jalpha wrote: it's just a shame it was written in Java.

Whats wrong with java?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jalpha » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 am

Can you name a game written in Java which doesn't experience performance issues? Particularly one as complex as Hafen. It might be fine for phone games but that's about it.

It's a complicated way of programming, it's way too bulky and needs a lot of stuff going on to make basic stuff work in conjunction. It's a bloated programming language from the perspective of the machine attempting to process and render it. Ther is (or seems to be) very little allowance for streamlining and efficiencies which would enhance performance.

It takes a lot of the work out of programming I guess as a lot of the groundwork is done for the programmer so you don't have to build an engine from scratch so to speak but that comes at the cost of performance.

No, I'm not a programmer and my understanding of programming is cursory but that doesn't change the simple fact that complex Java games run like shjt.

InB4 Java fanbois appear trying to deny this and roast me.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar