Game Development: Beavertopia

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Beavertopia

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:04 am

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added Beavers. Mostly harmless water dwellers.
  • We heard you like permissions, so... added a permission to allow or disallow permission sharing for villages. A village can now set, per group, whether members of that group are allowed to share village permissions with their party or not. We considered just removing permission sharing for villages instead, as this seems more and more marginal, but, meh.

Combat Changes
-----------------------
  • Increased the cooldown on "Dash" from 60 to 80.
  • Capped the Cooldown on "Take Aim" at 120.
  • "Think" now, analogous to "Take Aim", has a longer cooldown the more IP you have. Its cooldown is capped at 160.
  • Reduced the damage on "Takedown" from 50 to 40, and increased the cooldown to 50 from 45.
  • Fixed a bug with "Combat Meditation" by which a timer wasn't set properly, causing the buff to gradually deplete entirely if used once.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a bug by which any Realm member could destroy authority objects.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Added a free Gilding slot to the Druid's Cloak, and some stat bonuses.
  • Put some breaks on the ability to send crazy messages in Realm and Village chats. Previously we had only prevented this for the open chats (Area, PM, &c), but since we had a report we figured it was a nice thing and had to go.
  • You can now shift-tab in the kin menu without freezing the client. Reported here.
  • Drinks should no longer be exempt from the general satiation logic, i.e. as soon as you have four satiations below 50%, the lowest of them is reset to 100%.

Advance Notice
-----------------------
We are considering a couple of changes to PvP which we figured we'd give you heads up on, to allow you to voice your concerns, should you have them, namely...
  • We have considered getting rid of the entire concept of claim shields, and instead replace it with the inverted concept of a siege bubble, constructed by the attacker. Loosely speaking the attacker would designate an area of effect in one way or another, and after some condition completes -- the passing of time, attacks against the target, or both -- the area under the siege bubble would then become available to attacks and destruction. This has the potential upside of removing the various game-arounds and exploits associated with varying layers of overlapping claim and village shields, use of multiple villages and/or claims to acquire more shields, &c. There are plenty of moving parts here which make the exact formulation an open question, but feel free to opine on the general direction.
  • We have considered making it so that you are returned to your Hearth fire on knockout. This could make combat more accessible and forgiving, could allow for less paranoid player interaction, could allow for casual strolls outside your walls without complete fear of death, could remove alt farms to supply a steady stream of fresh cannon fodder, could make n00b ganking less of a thing, and could perhaps allround make the game less autistic and more fun. On the other hand the biting edge of cold hard pixel death could be dulled. Do note that you would still die as per usual if you actually managed to reach zero HHP.
... let us know what you think.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We have been a bit unsure on where to take development. Feel free to opine on what you'd like to see change/improve.
  • Push-out is still a thing, and we have begun considering various client optimizations as well.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Beavertopia

Postby viznew » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:07 am

yes hearth to fire on knock out ... awsome, beaver hats? do thay make dams? lol , and i like what ya did with think, always good stuff
ImageImage
viznew

Postby ven » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:08 am

Would roleplay Simon Fraser
Venator
ven

Postby Leafstab » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:11 am

Returning to hearthfire on knockout wont help noobs/weaker players at all, with people cleaving 1k plus with ease, this only really benefits the "big factions".
Leafstab

Postby Redlaw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 am

Things I love to see added:

an ancetrial quest that allows the players to well prt to a few trading hubs, these can be from Valhalla, to even other real world places like Salem ect... NPCs that are hard to get to, but mean new produce and items based off there location. They could trade for localy forgable good and give some new shirt and so on. Fruit, veggies and so on. This would open the world and add tons of options later in the world. You could go to any of the places or something and go on a hunt getting animals from those places as well. It would be a way to go see the world and yet keep the game true.

the rest you know seasons ect...
Redlaw

Postby Sevenless » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 am

We have considered making it so that you are returned to your Hearth fire on knockout. This could make combat more accessible and forgiving, could allow for less paranoid player interaction, could allow for casual strolls outside your walls without complete fear of death, could remove alt farms to supply a steady stream of fresh cannon fodder, could make n00b ganking less of a thing, and could perhaps allround make the game less autistic and more fun. On the other hand the biting edge of cold hard pixel death could be dulled. Do note that you would still die as per usual if you actually managed to reach zero HHP.

So it would be almost impossible to outright kill someone who is full HHP short of overwhelming force of attack (ie "titan" character vs low con character). I'm assuming this would be full loot left behind? And would this mean you're SoL if the attacker is sitting on your hearth fire and can repeatedly attack you, or can you choose to delay appearing at the hearth fire? I'm not sure what kind of grievious damage can be built up, but it seems to me noob ganking is still possible with this system, if something that has to be done quite intentionally (lots of opening buildup with 0 damage, then 1 giant attack).

Either way: Full support for this exploration of mechanics, specifically addressing the "and could perhaps allround make the game less autistic and more fun" side of things. I won't comment on the siege system because I haven't had enough experience with the current to know what's a healthy mechanical balance.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Lambsauce » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 am

Cool. Next animal should be the Canada goose, and it would be the most aggressive animal ever introduced
I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of ass
Lambsauce

Postby Zeler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 am

As a a hard PvPer for quite some time, I came to concluision that permadeath - while stil the thing that gave the most adrenaline rush in PvP - is not the best sokution out there. I think that PvP deaths should be reduced to some heavy penalties or a few times thing instead of insta death.
Zeler

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 am

jorb wrote:[*] We have considered making it so that you are returned to your Hearth fire on knockout. This could make combat more accessible and forgiving, could allow for less paranoid player interaction, could allow for casual strolls outside your walls without complete fear of death, could remove alt farms to supply a steady stream of fresh cannon fodder, could make n00b ganking less of a thing, and could perhaps allround make the game less autistic and more fun. On the other hand the biting edge of cold hard pixel death could be dulled. Do note that you would still die as per usual if you actually managed to reach zero HHP.[/list]
... let us know what you think.

i think if you guys were to do this you should only make it a thing for chars under a certain stat limit say like under 100-200ua and some combat attributes or something. also a lot of the people dying in combat now dont even get koed they jsut die immediately and this would remain the case for almost all nab kills unfortunately!!!

ALSO i think that they should be ported back to their hearth fire completely NAKED and all curios/equipment/inventory should be dropped on the ground where they were koed and remain there for a certain period of time

GR8 UPD8
ChildhoodObesity

Postby roboboy33 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:15 am

We have considered making it so that you are returned to your Hearth fire on knockout. This could make combat more accessible and forgiving, could allow for less paranoid player interaction, could allow for casual strolls outside your walls without complete fear of death, could remove alt farms to supply a steady stream of fresh cannon fodder, could make n00b ganking less of a thing, and could perhaps allround make the game less autistic and more fun. On the other hand the biting edge of cold hard pixel death could be dulled. Do note that you would still die as per usual if you actually managed to reach zero HHP.

I think if it was still possible to loot the player before they are transported to their hearth fire it could be a positive change. You could perhaps upon being knocked out have about 15 seconds before you get teleported to your hearth fire but also become un-attackable, allowing the winner rewards for winning while the loser doesn't get killed. Also note that you should add a debuff that when you are teleported to your hearth fire when knocked out you should not be able to do so again for x amount of time.
what the fuck say
roboboy33

Next

Return to Announcements