Game Development: Frolick in the Camomile

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Frolick in the Camomile

Postby Jacobian123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 am

Can confirm default client is shit at optimization, one of the main reasons I can't play because custom clients don't like my current drivers.
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 am

Jacobian123 wrote:Can confirm default client is shit at optimization

Not discussing optimization in general here, but specifically many players in combat on the screen.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 am

loftar wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:1. Animation optimization so people can actually do combat without the game being a slideshow

I am left wondering about this. I managed to bring my client to 10 FPS only when I spawned 200 random-clad players, on my modestly good computer. I'd be glad if you could verify whether this might be caused by some of the custom-client combat mods.

I use Amber client for reference. But I also tried playing on a default client. I have a pretty good computer and, while I get like 90 FPS in the middle of my village, my computer struggles a lot, which makes it heat up, which reduces performance and FPS drops to about 20.

When I was in a fight that had around 35 people in it, I literally had 1 frame per second.

Generally the more animations are happening on the screen the laggier it gets, the more the PC struggles and heats up, and then it gets even more laggy. Everyone I play with can confirm this. Some tech savvy sort explained this, I'll send you a PM when I get an answer from them about what causes it.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 am

NOOBY93 wrote:Generally the more animations are happening on the screen the laggier it gets

No doubt, and I don't contest that something should be done about that if only for the sake of cows and livestock, but I just can't seem to reproduce the levels you appear to describe. I have no problem even with 70 random players on the screen, and I wouldn't get 90 FPS normally.

NOOBY93 wrote:my computer struggles a lot, which makes it heat up, which reduces performance and FPS drops to about 20.

That sounds like bad cooling, though. A normally cooled computer shouldn't have to thermally throttle, ever.
loftar

Postby NOOBY93 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 am

loftar wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:Generally the more animations are happening on the screen the laggier it gets

No doubt, and I don't contest that something should be done about that if only for the sake of cows and livestock, but I just can't seem to reproduce the levels you appear to describe.

NOOBY93 wrote:my computer struggles a lot, which makes it heat up, which reduces performance and FPS drops to about 20.

That sounds like bad cooling, though. A normally cooled computer shouldn't have to thermally throttle, ever.

It's a laptop, how good can the cooling really be?

But anyway the tech savvy dude listed what is causing the lag:
Graphic Calls for Shading
Graphic Calls for Draw/Animations (Smoke)
Then in multiple people situations it is from multiple player rendering with attempting to render multiple small animations on every character
Biggest one I have found is the shading and animations such as hearth fires
and kiln smoke

"It draws like 100 splashes each iteration on a small area to create smoke which = insane fps drop."

As a not-so-tech-savvy layman I believe that there's no real need for all the complex shading and shit going on in this game right now. It might look pretty but making the game a strain on your computer not only prevents many people from playing (free game ponders to poor people with shitty computers, yet the game also requires an insane computer to enjoy fully without great lags), but also makes combat much shittier than it was before.
Last edited by NOOBY93 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby bleco » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 am

I hope you come to your senses!!! :(
bleco

Postby Jacobian123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 am

bleco wrote:I hope you come to your senses!!! :(

How have they lost their senses? This is a pretty good update for those who both like and dislike PvP.
W3-W8 - Hermit
W9 - (Ex)-Leader of Vidarrheim

Image Image Image
Jacobian123

Postby snooboo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 am

How much does the Mine Song cost in EXP? And how long does it last? It doesn't say when it's hovered over.
snooboo

Postby jorb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:06 am

snooboo wrote:How much does the Mine Song cost in EXP? And how long does it last? It doesn't say when it's hovered over.

Sorry about that. Will fix. Costs 1500, and lasts about 30 real minutes.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 am

NOOBY93 wrote:It's a laptop, how good can the cooling really be?

Unless it's a netbook or tablet, it shouldn't have to throttle.

NOOBY93 wrote:But anyway the tech savvy dude listed what is causing the lag:

[...]

None of that explains the discrepancy in difference between what you're seeing and what I'm seeing, however.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements