watermill/windmill +water pump

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

watermill/windmill +water pump

Postby maze » Sun May 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Bring automation to your village with a Windmill powered water pump or watermill~

Building:
-Windmill (would need to build expensive pump inside)
-Watermill (less expensive then a pump)

The buildings could either give a radius or grant the full town water supply.
To build a output (sink or other) it would require bronze the further away the source (windmill/pump) is.
the buff to make it deeper (for wells) would apply if used on the pump inside the building.

Objects:
- Sinks (inside)
- Tubs (for wounds or travel wierness)
- Fountains (expensive, could be 3 different types, small 2x2, 3x3, 6x6, showing off wealth)
- cisterns (normal outside water refill for farms or trees)
- artificial ponds for fish farming (expensive, should not be better then normal fishing.)
- more maybe

This would make for a large scale project for the village and offer Advancement, and wealth showing.
Last edited by maze on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Re: Windmill automation

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Automation for most shitty boring maintenance-based aspects of the game please
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Re: Windmill +water pump

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Filling a cistern isn't fun, but I'm still iffy on the concept of mechanizing haven further.

Would a special water wagon, that can fill a cistern in 1 trip, and uses an action timer to fill at a water source be acceptable instead?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:53 pm

When you try to make the "fun" aspect of a game the same thing as the grindy aspect, you're inevitably going to fail.

Haven grinding needs to be automated and other fun things to do implemented, basically
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby maze » Sun May 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Sevenless wrote:Filling a cistern isn't fun, but I'm still iffy on the concept of mechanizing haven further.

Would a special water wagon, that can fill a cistern in 1 trip, and uses an action timer to fill at a water source be acceptable instead?

The mech for a wagon to just go to a water source thought the use crossroads (still can't happen)
then pick up water and go back to fill a cistern would be somewhat better then having to make 20 of the same trip.

Windmill +water pump would be ideally to remove that needing to take a trip and have the water right there.
it would be a long term goal to work towards to.

Pipes and watermills (not wind in this case) have been around for MUCH MUCH longer then you'd expect.
But back then it was channels and other means to move water + quality of water was not a big issue as in HnH.
game ideas
maze

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 21, 2017 5:01 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:When you try to make the "fun" aspect of a game the same thing as the grindy aspect, you're inevitably going to fail.

Haven grinding needs to be automated and other fun things to do implemented, basically

Well my suggestion is "automated", in that it "automatically" loads 20 barrels of water into a container, and then automatically transfers it to another.

And I know that the romans had some incredible engineering, but there were times after the romans that had significantly less technology as well. I've always view haven as a "low magic" post roman collapse germania setting, fairly well supported by the lore in game I thought.

I personally wouldn't have implemented windmills setting wise, but flour production definitely needed the help. I just feel that a water wagon fits the theme better than having pipes running through the world.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby maze » Tue May 23, 2017 3:57 am

Could really care less for a setting in this game anymore.
I rather have advancements to our needs rather then fitting a setting of real world.

+ what theme we had, has pretty much gone out the window.

Village need advancement systems that will reduce the task at hand.
Giving em' a large task to complete that could take a week to a month of gathering would be nice. and would function with better results. giving a town working water. fountains. sinks.
That's a lot more pleasing then being told. here's a bigger barrel.
game ideas
maze

Postby 2d0x » Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 am

Sevenless wrote:Would a special water wagon, that can fill a cistern in 1 trip, and uses an action timer to fill at a water source be acceptable instead?

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Wagon
Wiki wrote:A wagon can hold 5x4=20 liftable objects and 8x8=64 inventory items (same as a cupboard)...

20 liftable objects = 20 barrels = 2000 liters = 1 Cistern
And 64 inventory items (for example, 16 buckets = 160 liters)

maze wrote:...and watermills...

Watermills would be nice to introduce. But by the principle of windmills. Watermills - it's just beautiful and diverse %)
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby pheonix » Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 am

As nice a concept as it sounds we have to look at how the devs are going to respond.
Pros:
more access to water and less need to cart 6-20 barrels around
water features added to bases fountains as you said and fish ponds etc
health system with baths could be added
additional industries that use lots of water (steam powered)
end game project(s)

Cons:
it would require them to put some effort into the game greater then bugfixes
hermits would throw tantrums because they cant do it in 10 minutes and log off

I honestly like this idea as it gives a simcity feel, but i have been hoping for end game projects like rampart walls and castle segments that we can build together to create giant keeps so we can do away with forcefields (bandaid response to newbs getting smashed, a wall with this mechanic built into it wouldve made more sense). This would build into it as we can feed water into our castles. but alas i fear this will go into the pile of sounds great but i what i think this game needs is penguins! now go away.
pheonix

Postby jorb » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:07 pm

I don't mind plumbing, but It'd take some doing.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas