Variety of Tools/Light Speed Bonus/Sacks

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Variety of Tools/Light Speed Bonus/Sacks

Postby LittleJohn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:29 pm

I really like new woodsman axe and that gives me an idea. Now tools mostly gives speed bonus to doing things, but what if we can use different tools that gives you various bonuses depends on what you want to get?

1. Tools

Butchering knife - speeds up butchering animals
Butcher's cleave - chance to double meat per tick
Thin knife - slower butchering, better chance for fat/special material? can have several uses, cheap to craft
Ornate knife - halves the yield of meat, boost quality
Hunting knife - very slow skinning, better quality/chance to extra strips of skin?

Building with bare hands - slow, chance to some shp damage, maybe splinter/knicks&knacks wound? ( gloves should help a bit)
Wooden mallet - a little bit slower than now
Metal hammer - a little bit faster than now
Builder's hammer - builds two materials at the same time
Sledgehammer as building tool - very slow, 4 or more materials at same time, small chance to hit your foot to some hhp wound and maybe a lore?

Carpenter's saw - slower speed, chance to get better quality of single boards
Metal tongs - used in smithing in pair with smith's hammer, wont add quality to crafts, highter quality buffs speed
Chisel - speeds chipping stones and build 2 stones in building. need to use with hammer
Milking pail - metal bucket, can hold 20 liters of milk or 8 liters of other liquids ( with update that cows can't be milked with barrels in moment)
Shears - speeds up shaving sheeps. its pretty hard to shear a sheep with axe, sword or even b12, eh?
Mattock - one hand tool to dig, little better to mine than axe, much worse than pickaxe ( something for new word before pickaxe or digging soft wall with travellers sack/mine lamp in hand [more below])
Sickle - similar like mattock
Hand shovel - as above

So much tools will make a mess in inventory, so new belts should be nedded too
Tool's belt - 6 slots ONLY for tools
Worker's belt - 4 slots ONLY for tools, 2 slots ONLY for waterskins
Belt of all trades - 4 slots ONLY for tools, 2 ONLY for small things ( like waterskins, keyrings ) 2 for everything, endgame belt, should be made from trolls/mammoth skin, some gold/silver nuggets or something

2. Light
Light don't have a real use for now, just purely cosmetic. Almost everyone use clients to turn it off. My idea is that you should mine slower in dark and faster in bright light. It's hard to mine in dark, right? Some ideas to light items.

Miner's helm with candle will have a real use now, also should have mining bonus : str that matters only while mining ( like con in swimming )
Mine lamp - light source, used mostly under surface, can be attached to belt or dropped to give light with busy hands
Small stove - another place to "store" fire and maybe to cook thing faster. we don't live in a stone age to light fires only in fireplaces
Brazier - another place to light a fire, movable if empty
Hanging torch post - can be used like wall shelf to hung on wall/stone column/wooden support and then place torch in it
Glowing berry - can be found in caves, when eaten gives you glowing aura

3.Packs, Sacks, Purses, and Baskets [ADDED/EDITED]
We don't have much choice about increase space in inventory. Only traveller's sack, backpack, quiver, belts and sub/verify. What about new containers that we can wear?

Forager's Pack Basket - wicker basket that you can wear in backpack slot. It gives you window with some space (like quiver ) ONLY for foragable things. Made from some bark/taproots/wicker(if added someday).
Farmer's Pack Basket - similar like above but ONLY for croops ( carrots, onions, hops, grapes, beetroots, in fact, everything that can be planted and harvested ). Made from straw, straw twine, flax/hemp fibre.
Woodsman Basket - as above, ONLY for blocks, boards, branches, bark and sticks. Made from wooden blocks boards and glue.
Miner's Pack Basket - as above, ONLY for ores/stones. Made from leather, hardened leather, hide straps and metal nuggets ( studs ).

Herbalist Pouch - small sack for medical herbs and medicine, must be attached to worn belt to open ( to avoid spamming these, limited to one per belt )
Money Purse - 3x3 window for coins, can be attached to belt.
Bag with everything and nothing - small bag ONLY for curio, can be attached to belt. Its kinda annoying when you got some curios like strange crystal, wondrous woodshaving, perfect hole and they roll over the inventory.
Hunter's Pouch - small sack for animal's special drops/knives ( if added ).

Mushrooms Basket - something like bucket, must be held in hand, you can throw mushrooms there. You can only see how much mushrooms you have there, like 10/30. You have to spill shrooms from bucket in inventory to see what you got.
Carrying Pole - must be held in both hands to attached a bucket to it. Should that be Big Bucket that hold 30 l of fluilds and cannot be hold in bare hands. In container big bucket will be 3x3.

What do you think? Maybe will add more later.
Last edited by LittleJohn on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LittleJohn

Re: Variety of Tools/Light Speed Bonus

Postby 2d0x » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 am

I like.
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby ricky » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am

I enjoy the idea of specialty tools. definitely adds more variety to a rather dull tool progression.
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby sMartins » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 am

Yeah very nice idea ... also i would make that only certain tools are allowed for some jobs, or improper tools would cause a good amount of quality/material lost
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Wonderful » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 am

+1
Wonderful

Postby Thaydi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Finally someone with good ideas. +1
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

Postby ven » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 am

Sounds good.

Btw this pattern
LittleJohn wrote:Butchering knife - speeds up butchering animals
Thin knife - slower butchering, better chance for fat/special material? can have several uses, cheap to craft
Hunting knife - very slow skinning, better quality/chance to extra strips of skin?

could also be applied to lots of other things, including healing.
Venator
ven

Postby Thedrah » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:27 am

can the stuff that increases yield also decrease quality and vice versa

otherwise, +1 for more tools
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby blank » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=58349 already had this idea

+1
blank

Postby Massa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:22 am

LittleJohn wrote:I really like new woodsman axe and that gives me an idea. Now tools mostly gives speed bonus to doing things, but what if we can use different tools that gives you various bonuses depends on what you want to get?

1. Tools

Butchering knife - speeds up butchering animals

Building with bare hands - slow, chance to some shp damage, maybe splinter/knicks&knacks wound? ( gloves should help a bit)
Wooden mallet - a little bit slower than now
Metal hammer - a little bit faster than now
Builder's hammer - builds two materials at the same time
Sledgehammer as building tool - very slow, 4 or more materials at same time, small chance to hit your foot to some hhp wound and maybe a lore?

Carpenter's saw - slower speed, chance to get better quality of single boards
Metal tongs - used in smithing in pair with smith's hammer, wont add quality to crafts, highter quality buffs speed
Chisel - speeds chipping stones and build 2 stones in building. need to use with hammer
Milking pail - metal bucket, can hold 20 liters of milk or 8 liters of other liquids ( with update that cows can't be milked with barrels in moment)
Shears - speeds up shaving sheeps. its pretty hard to shear a sheep with axe, sword or even b12, eh?
Mattock - one hand tool to dig, little better to mine than axe, much worse than pickaxe ( something for new word before pickaxe or digging soft wall with travellers sack/mine lamp in hand [more below])
Sickle - similar like mattock
Hand shovel - as above

So much tools will make a mess in inventory, so new belts should be nedded too
Tool's belt - 6 slots ONLY for tools
Worker's belt - 4 slots ONLY for tools, 2 slots ONLY for waterskins
Belt of all trades - 4 slots ONLY for tools, 2 ONLY for small things ( like waterskins, keyrings ) 2 for everything, endgame belt, should be made from trolls/mammoth skin, some gold/silver nuggets or something

2. Light
Light don't have a real use for now, just purely cosmetic. Almost everyone use clients to turn it off. My idea is that you should mine slower in dark and faster in bright light. It's hard to mine in dark, right? Some ideas to light items.

Miner's helm with candle will have a real use now, also should have mining bonus : str that matters only while mining ( like con in swimming )
Mine lamp - light source, used mostly under surface, can be attached to belt or dropped to give light with busy hands
Small stove - another place to "store" fire and maybe to cook thing faster. we don't live in a stone age to light fires only in fireplaces
Brazier - another place to light a fire, movable if empty
Hanging torch post - can be used like wall shelf to hung on wall/stone column/wooden support and then place torch in it
Glowing berry - can be found in caves, when eaten gives you glowing aura

What do you think? Maybe will add more later.

by what stretch of logic can a container hold 20 liters of one liquid but only 8 of another

this boggles my mind please cease
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas