Nomad credo for knarr security & more knarr/storage ideas

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Nomad credo for knarr security & more knarr/storage ideas

Postby newaccountlol » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:25 am

Knarr security has come up several times. People want to live as a pirate/sailor without worrying about somebody easily stealing all their stuff. The new credo system could make this a reality without making knarrs OP for everyone.

Stealing from a nomad's knarr should require you to board first, not only leaving a theft scent but also requiring you to siege the knarr(which could be performed without siege machines and have much less shield than a village) . Stealing containers should cause shp damage per item the same way a stockpile would. I don't' know anything about wagon mechanics but I think they should be similar.

Or maybe nomad credo could stay the way it is but unlock a new "pirate" or "sailor" credo and "pioneer" for wagons or something...

Maybe using a knarr to siege another knarr could give a siege bonus, and the amount of people sieging would effect it as usual.

Maybe the "pirate" credo could also make it easier to siege other pirates.
newaccountlol

Re: Nomad credo for knarr security & more knarr/storage idea

Postby jorb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am

Interesting thoughts. I'm not entirely sure credos should tie in with crime mechanics, and I also think that maybe theft protection should be more intrinsic to wagons and knarrs, but nevertheless. Thanks!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby newaccountlol » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:10 pm

jorb wrote:Interesting thoughts. I'm not entirely sure credos should tie in with crime mechanics, and I also think that maybe theft protection should be more intrinsic to wagons and knarrs, but nevertheless. Thanks!

Yeah the main thing I want to see is traveling nomad/pirate/thief/merchant play-styles to become viable. My ways of implementing my ideas are not always well thought-out but hopefully might give you some better ideas. Thanks for considering
newaccountlol

Postby DaniAngione » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 am

To be honest, a Knarr can be already perfectly defended if you leave it in the middle of a lake/water body, far enough from any shores (so it is impossible to be catapulted)

Being able to log in/log out in the helm would allow you to remain in it.

The only 3 problems are:
- You can still be killed if you are outlawed
- Stuff can still be stolen
- If someone really hates you, they could spend 4 other Knarrs to box your knarr while you're offline. But that seems like... quite some griefing. Rather unlikely.

Second one could be easily solved with a couple of changes on how knarrs work; like having the "Cargo" storage lockable/unlockable (requires key) and then people can't access it if locked.

The real problem that remains, then, is the first one.
Your character remains vulnerable inside your vessel while you're offline... But any kind of system that mitigates that would make knarrs too OP (if Knarrs could make outlawed characters disappear or be protected while offline, then everyone would hide in Knarrs and Haven would become that weird 90s movie "Waterworld".)

So... I honestly struggle to find a solution that isn't "Have a safe place/village/vault to logout"...
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Return to Critique & Ideas