Game Development: Gemology

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Gemology

Postby jorb » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:37 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Implemented Gemstones. As you mine, you may encounter various gemstones, in various sizes, and in various cuts. There are six sizes -- tiny, small, fair, large, grand and jotun -- and six types of cut -- rough, smooth, cabochon, pear, heart and brilliant.
  • Gemstones get better the larger they are, and the better their cut. The best combination is a Jotun Brilliant Gemstone, and the worst is a Tiny Rough Gemstone. A Tiny Brilliant Gemstone is generally as good as a Jotun Rough Gemstone.
  • You may cut gemstones at a Gemcutter's Wheel. When you do, you have a chance to improve the cut of the gemstone one step, i.e. from rough to smooth, from smooth to cabochon... to pear, to heart, to brilliant. You may also fail the cutting, which will reduce your gem one step in both cut and size, with some random chances of getting additional smaller gems as shards.
  • Your chance to succeed when cutting increases with all the values presented by the gemcutting recipe, i.e. dexterity, perception, psyche, masonry, and lore. The Gemcutter's wheel softcaps the quality of the gems.
  • The Gemcutter's Wheel requires a Gemstone to build, and cannot be used to cut gems of a larger size than the Gem that was used to build the Wheel.
  • The primary use of gemstones is as Gilding items, in which capacity the various cuts, and sizes, and types, all provide their own distinct bonuses, but they can also be studied as curiosities.
  • Rings -- and, for now, only rings -- can be gilded using Gemstones. We want to expand that to clothes as well, but want to contemplate a bit on how.
  • Gems may be entirely bonkers in many ways. Rest assured that a Jotun Brilliant Diamond is a rare, but nice, thing.
  • There are, of course, several types of gems, but we'll -- beyond the obvious ones -- leave those to be discovered.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Pumpkin lanterns should no longer decay on claims. Reported here.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • Small patch as we have also been working on that something more significant hinted at in the last couple of patches, which might (still) be a few weeks in the making. Will (still) hopefully be cool, though!
  • The main dev focus is the client rendering rewrite.
  • I'm (still) considering following up on this suggestion, and make palisades bashable if the claim shield is down. Let me know what you think!
  • We are considering, especially so in light of this patch, but regardless, introducing diminishing returns when slotting the same item type in several pieces of clothing (i.e. bear tooth in everything). Let us know how you'd feel about that.
  • A bit rushed, so there are a couple of things missing here in terms of graphics, sound when crafting, stockpile for gems, cheaper rings made of wood and stone, &c. Will iterate!
  • Very safe to say that no single patch ever pushed this many new items.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Gemology

Postby CinderHeart » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:37 am

"The meek shall inherit the Earth, but not its mineral rights."
–J. Paul Getty
CinderHeart wrote:"Pedo mellon a minno" – "The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter."

──────▄▀▄─────▄▀▄
─────▄█░░▀▀▀▀▀░░█▄
─▄▄──█░░░░░░░░░░░█──▄▄
█▄▄█─█░░▀░░┬░░▀░░█─█▄▄█
CinderHeart

Postby jordancoles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:38 am

edit: Omg 2nd omg
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jordancoles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:39 am

I'm super hyped on gems, thanks Jorbtar :mrgreen:
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Redlaw » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:41 am

wonderfully nice small update
Redlaw

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:41 am

friggin cool!!!
ChildhoodObesity

Postby svino » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 am

This is insane, it's exactly what mining needs, i really love that lvl 5 is now dangerous but maybe much more rewarding
Last edited by svino on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
svino

Postby sarkum » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:42 am

And this game just keeps getting better! BRAVO!
THE FATE OF NORNS AWAITS US ALL
sarkum

Postby azrid » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:43 am

we minecraft now
azrid

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:43 am

jorb wrote:Implemented Gemstones.

jorb wrote:Pumpkin lanterns should no longer decay on claims. Reported here.

THANK YOU
I LOVE YOU GUYS <3
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione