Building the Nomad life

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Building the Nomad life

Postby maze » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:00 pm

This is simply to bring up some topics about nomad life style and what should be added to make it a more interesting.

A lot of older players come and go to the game~ but they normally adapt a nomadic lifestyle.
it would be interesting addition to the game if there was some systems build into it for us.

my own idea's to my nomadic life style are idea's that would take things like leather working and make it mobile.
That is the key to nomadic life; being mobile.

As being a nomad, life is not going to be easyer then that of a townsmen.
There should be drawbacks or things that would not be of any use to a townsmen but very useful to a Nomad.

My own ideas
------

#1 Nomad/Gypsy housing: viewtopic.php?p=751189#p751189

Nomads have no protection making the life style easily griefed.
but making a system for protection that can't be exploited is rather hard and likely would take along time to code. . .
something simple and something that does not interact with a ton things would be idea for a "alpha version" gypsy house.

-----

#2 www - wild plants: http://viewtopic.php?f=48&t=50990

Ideal for Nomad life style and Ideal for early game wanderers.
would also add less hassle to farming and could possibly bring about new ways to farm.

-----

#3 Hides and leather as a wanderer: http://viewtopic.php?p=704675#p704675

Nomads can't be locked down by leather working, and leathering can take days. what forces you to setup.
Nomads need a way to be able to bulk of leather and make leather. while having a system that would not be ideal for someone who is setup/townsmen.
-----
#4 Legacy grass & terrain fodder : viewtopic.php?p=756062#p756062

When traveling around it's hard to keep up with the demands of feed for animals. (try filling the fodder up....)
it would be ideal for the terrain to act as abit of fodder and also promote moving around more.

-----

More ideas?
Last edited by maze on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Re: Building the Nomad life

Postby maze » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Reserved for other peoples links and ideas.
game ideas
maze

Postby KitsuneG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Damn looks like our maze is broke, bring a new one!
Wiki editor.
KitsuneG

Postby ctopolon3 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm

moveable ovens, cheesemaking
defence w\o claiming every day (+knarr defence from robberys)
ctopolon3

Postby Thedrah » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm

i just think of a mercenary traveling and picture him frying stuff on a pan. then in towns eating what they have for sale for bakery such

if youre a nomad in this game, your stats are going to be crap or you will have to spend a lot of time playing. bonfires and feasting makes nomad life quite tough unless youre roleplaying. i would say hunger mechanic is the hardest thing to overcome as a nomad
  ▲
▲ ▲
Thedrah

Postby yozzik111 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 pm

I remember this theme took my thoughts in W3-W4: we are pinned to our places and it's little to nothing to do with a nomad's lifestyle.
We should start with being able to lock wagons. Because damn we have locks on the ships. Like you jump on the deck and then like: "Damn, fellow pirates and brigands, there's a lock here. Pack your shit, we're going away".
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby spavaloo » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:16 am

I had a post on tents:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=44272

I feel that something along those lines would be a big step toward making nomadic gameplay more viable.
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby maze » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:05 am

yozzik111 wrote:I remember this theme took my thoughts in W3-W4: we are pinned to our places and it's little to nothing to do with a nomad's lifestyle.
We should start with being able to lock wagons. Because damn we have locks on the ships. Like you jump on the deck and then like: "Damn, fellow pirates and brigands, there's a lock here. Pack your shit, we're going away".

locks on wagons would be a good start. but also the risk of being to exploitable.
in my own post of wagons with locks I proposed this idea.
But say the wagon owner is a theft.
and all he did was move his wagon 2 grids every 8 hours with a bot.
The items inside would be impossible to get back from him. (using my idea on seigeing the wagon)
The simple fix would be the wagon had a 24-72 drying time between fixs and the wagon only needed to be catapulted 2 times. with a 4 hour delay between. if the perp logs on, then he can be hunted down.
I'll likely add this to the main wagon post...

spavaloo wrote:I had a post on tents:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=44272

I feel that something along those lines would be a big step toward making nomadic gameplay more viable.

I had a similar idea to this once, I'm to lazy to find the post. The biggest problem is the claiming space and how it interacts with other claims.

Tents would honestly be SUPER big and ideal and work very well with wagons.
and having an indoor space to work with would be nice.
If a wagon that could lock like a knarr only (so items inside still can be accessed(not like my idea)) then you would unload your items into the tent and also keep your horse into the tent.
But if the tent is attacked; yes the nomad should be able to run away if he back on time (24 hour window?)
but if the nomad is a theft and attacked. how should this interaction go down?
game ideas
maze

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 am

maze wrote:The simple fix would be the wagon had a 24-72 drying time between fixs and the wagon only needed to be catapulted 2 times.

Could you translate that to english, please?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby maze » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Granger wrote:
maze wrote:The simple fix would be the wagon had a 24-72 drying time between fixs and the wagon only needed to be catapulted 2 times.

Could you translate that to english, please?

basing it of my own wagon idea.
The wagon can only be damage once (like a claim) every so many hours (18-24hours).
the wagon should have an added drying time after repairs like Walls(24 - 72hours as most Nomads should be passive and always hiding).
This opens up a window of that if a nomad is found 3 days in a row and attacked, then they lose all there stuff and have their wagon destroyed (if set on a 48+ hour repair).

Basically this makes a nomad think before stealing (or they will hunted easy).
game ideas
maze

Return to Critique & Ideas