Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby maze » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 pm

The idea here would be basically the same "farm animals" look at the terrain bellow if the fodder was out, the animal eats the terrain.
But the start of the idea would be-

All or some Terrains eatable for animals
- ^~

Animal Q for eating terrain
-This would have no impact on the animals Q of feed. (This is an important part, Q terrain should not effect animals. this is for nomads)
+++++To avoid exploiting (by townsmen) plant grass should always be planted as "cut grass".

Growing periods terrain
-if the terrain = grassy(or few others) terrain. the animals would eat it.
-But instead of being stomp to dirt. the grass would turn slightly darker to indicate "cut grass" and this spot would no longer produce food until grown back.
-Grass should grow back the fastest of the terrains (3-4 days).
-Other terrains that could be suitable for feed would also do the same (being cut/darken) and grow back in (7-14 days)



-----
The idea of all this adds into a Nomadic life style for those that travel around with a horse (and hopefully others types later).
but are't able to keep up with filling the fodder & being able to breed abit.
-----

This idea also brings more life to the hearth lands. being able to see where living things have been roaming, as horses will likely eat random terrain while they're out and about.
Last edited by maze on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
User avatar
maze
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:15 am
Location: Canada

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby Granger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:28 pm

maze wrote:In legacy Cows use to eat the grass once they ran out of food.
This would sometimes save some people who've been gone for a week...

The idea here would be basically the same "farm animals" look at the terrain bellow if the fodder was out.
FYI: They still do that.

Regarding the rest:
2016-04: Livestock grazing & herding
2016-09: Idea: Livestock management for filthy casuals
2016-11: Growing Grass
2017-10: Publicly browsable morgue, and pasturing

Which one would you like to have this merged with?
Please check Announcements, Game Guides, GLoSQ before posting questions, search is your friend.
Follow the Bug Report HOWTO to ease solving your issue and, in general, The Rules.
User avatar
Granger
 
Posts: 8998
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby maze » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Sorry The key points of my idea are not grass, but different terrains, them growing back like farmables, and not damaging the Q of the animals.

I did infant search those and that's why I was making points to these 3 things.


Also...is the grass working? I've noticed my old towns livestock all dead on grass that has not even been eaten.

Edit: there I cleaned it up to get the points out more clearly...I think?
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
User avatar
maze
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:15 am
Location: Canada

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby Granger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:54 pm

maze wrote:Sorry The key points of my idea are not grass, but different terrains, them growing back like farmables, and not damaging the Q of the animals.

Well fine and well, except the point about the Q of the animals - as one could sustain them without quality loss, and without any effort, on a big enough fenced area.

I did infant search those and that's why I was making points to these 3 things.

Linking related stuff you find while doing research would help others (including the devs) to get context.

Also...is the grass working? I've noticed my old towns livestock all dead on grass that has not even been eaten.

They eat natural terrain, so far I have tested it (accidently). Havn't bothered to try with actual planted grass, to be honest.
My guess is that they only eat while the map is loaded but continue to need food (and starve if they run out) while being in limbo - my guess would be that you left them unloaded till they succumbed so they had no chance to eat the grass.
Please check Announcements, Game Guides, GLoSQ before posting questions, search is your friend.
Follow the Bug Report HOWTO to ease solving your issue and, in general, The Rules.
User avatar
Granger
 
Posts: 8998
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby SacreDoom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 am

What's wrong with sustaining animals by having them on a field? Could just bar the Q from raising any higher than it is when grass is first consumed instead of swill, and perhaps prevent them from making babies. Would be nice.
User avatar
SacreDoom
 
Posts: 2571
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby maze » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 am

SacreDoom wrote:What's wrong with sustaining animals by having them on a field? Could just bar the Q from raising any higher than it is when grass is first consumed instead of swill, and perhaps prevent them from making babies. Would be nice.


Food only effect is soft capping.

if food that didn't effect their Q was the only food they eat.
then it would make raising their Q just that much easier.

Also we don't want gaint heards running around in city life and jorb has said over and over again.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
User avatar
maze
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:15 am
Location: Canada

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby blank » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:30 pm

how is it hard to fill up fodder? i literally left my old vault like 6 months ago with like half full fodder i come back and its like it barley moved?? feeding your animals shouldn't be that big of an issue unless you have like 60 pregnant cows or something..

an easy fix would be ( for the nomad life) give it an option to put food in wagons (like chicken coops ect.) then your horse or cow will always be around food when its on the wagon.
User avatar
blank
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 am

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby maze » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:22 pm

blank wrote:how is it hard to fill up fodder? i literally left my old vault like 6 months ago with like half full fodder i come back and its like it barley moved?? feeding your animals shouldn't be that big of an issue unless you have like 60 pregnant cows or something..

an easy fix would be ( for the nomad life) give it an option to put food in wagons (like chicken coops ect.) then your horse or cow will always be around food when its on the wagon.


The fodder I had to fill was straight out in the middle of the woods useing only leaves of mulberry trees and other gatherables + hunted meat.
I took be a good age to get the fodder up abit.

The idea is not so much having a hard time feeding the animals but to not destory the Q on them.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
User avatar
maze
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:15 am
Location: Canada

Re: Legacy grass & terrain fodder

Postby blank » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 pm

maze wrote:
blank wrote:how is it hard to fill up fodder? i literally left my old vault like 6 months ago with like half full fodder i come back and its like it barley moved?? feeding your animals shouldn't be that big of an issue unless you have like 60 pregnant cows or something..

an easy fix would be ( for the nomad life) give it an option to put food in wagons (like chicken coops ect.) then your horse or cow will always be around food when its on the wagon.


The fodder I had to fill was straight out in the middle of the woods useing only leaves of mulberry trees and other gatherables + hunted meat.
I took be a good age to get the fodder up abit.

The idea is not so much having a hard time feeding the animals but to not destory the Q on them.



aha okay yeah in that case you have a good point.
User avatar
blank
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 am


Return to Critique & Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests