Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dreams

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dreams

Postby jorb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

Beaver Lodges
-----------------------
We've finally gotten to the point where it feels meaningful to finally release that Bigger Thing(tm) which we have been advertising for some time -- some of you even guessed and got it right! -- and here it is: Beaver Lodges!

Scattered across the map are, and will spawn anew, Beaver Lodges. Beaver Lodges are love, and Beaver lodges are life. Beaver Lodges are where beavers lodge, and that is to say vast, sprawling, underwater complexes of rooms, corridors, and great halls, laden with beavers and things beaver. Beaver Lodges are also but the first instance of a new type of natural phenomenon which we more generally think of as "Dungeons", and of which we plan and hope to add more of other and varying types. The concept should be self-explanatory to anyone who has ever played an RPG before, but basically the gist of it is that Dungeons are little levels that you can fight and figure your way through with hopefully rewarding encounters and l3wts along the way.

Adding this has felt pretty meaningful, in the sense that it feels as if the sky truly is the limit for the kinds of high-end, much vaunted "endgame", stuff we could do with it in the future, and the things that have taken a lot of the time we've spent on it is groundwork things like being able to generate dungeon worlds with connectivity at all, and such, so adding new Dungeon types -- Bear Dens, Badger Setts, Bat Caves, &c -- in the future should at least be less work. The Beaver Lodges are perhaps underdeveloped, but mostly because there's so much we could do with them.

I'm sure combat is trivial to all the high-rolling vets I'm sure you all are by now, but the n00bs among you may want to tread carefully when knocking down Mr. Beaver's doors.

We'll leave the details for you to explore for yourselves, but there's at least some decent amount of new content in there to be found!

Very excited to drop this, and doing so also marks both the the tenth anniversary of Haven's development, and the 100th patch -- in my official count, at least -- since we released the new version of the game.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $5, is the "Bluebucket Hat".

Store Description wrote:Image$5
Dress dapperly in this the beach tourist's timless blue icon of style and flair.

All Gold and Silver subscribers have been awarded the Bluebucket Hat free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • With dungeons finally deployed, we now intend to spend the coming weeks before Christmas on some polish, bug fixes, nice things, and perhaps holiday specials -- we aim to patch on both the 13th and 20th -- before heading out for some R'n'R over Christmas and New Year's ourselves.
  • The main dev focus is the client rendering rewrite.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Princess Thraxyr's Endless Levee of Dr

Postby CinderHeart » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 am

"Architecture has recorded the great ideas of the human race. Not only every religious symbol, but every human thought has its page in that vast book." --Victor Hugo
CinderHeart wrote:"Pedo mellon a minno" – "The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter."

──────▄▀▄─────▄▀▄
─────▄█░░▀▀▀▀▀░░█▄
─▄▄──█░░░░░░░░░░░█──▄▄
█▄▄█─█░░▀░░┬░░▀░░█─█▄▄█
CinderHeart

Postby LostJustice » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:04 am

Dang it not first.
LostJustice

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 am

"Entering Beaverly Hills"...

Nice one :D
Can't wait to dungeon delve!
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Cab361 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 am

YEEEES! I love dungeon crawlers, I've been playing Elder Scrolls 2 recently and thought this game would be awesome with dungeons! Plus this adds some real cool end game (or world) material, I just hope you keep adding them and have unique loot to go along with them
bruh
Cab361

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 am

Shit.... This is exactly what I was afraid of. I only hope that my faith in the developers isn't poorly placed. I had truly hoped we were going to avoid this kind of "Standard RPG" bullshit, but as I said if anyone is going to make it unique and interesting it'd be Jorb and Loftar.

With trepidation, I go in search of Mr. Beaver's Lodges.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Nikitan83 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 am

This is a wonderful update!! :)
W4: Bucket slave
W6: Hermit
W7: LS of Siberia, Cornucopia, SwagzillaYoloCity
W8: LS of Fire & Ice
W9: Queen of Fire & Ice
W10: Queen of Fire & Ice
W11: Queen of Yggdrasil
W12: LS of Lake Town
Nikitan83

Postby Zesto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 am

Quality you should make them disappear when they are looted and inactive for a while and respawn elsewhere Idk kinda a nifty idea for dungeons and stuff.
Zesto

Postby ven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 am

Hi, I come from the future and I can say this patch is second only to the seasons and republic updates.
Venator
ven

Postby loftar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 am

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:"Standard RPG" bullshit

If that is something we explicitly wanted to avoid, we wouldn't be having such things as "Strength", "Agility" or "Constitution" either, to be fair.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to Announcements