Game Development: Combat Revert

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Combat Revert

Postby jorb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:24 pm

In light of all the input we have received on the new combat system, since we pushed it last Wednesday, we have decided to, for the time being, take a step back, and essentially revert to the previous combat system as it existed before the latest patch.

Our input value when embarking on this latest redesign was an ambition to remove the four colored dimensions of attacks and restorations, in favor of a simpler, one dimensional, system, as we felt it ugly that one explicitly needed to cover four completely orthogonal dimensions of openings with corresponding restorations in one's combat school. We have, however, in the new system, found ourselves unable to actually remove that problem, as all further structure we have been able to imagine -- structure we feel necessary to increase the depth of the system -- with any immediate ease, have essentially all taken that same form of new, orthogonal opening debuffs, such as "Dizzy", "Opportunity Knocks", and the like, again necessetating the corresponding defenses. While it may seem obvious now, this was not a consequence we had immediately forseen, and thus we feel that we may as well revert to the previous, somewhat functional system, while we reorient ourselves.

Positives
  • We're keeping the new armor model, for now. We don't hate it, and it leaves room for further development in terms of armor repair.
  • The system for more extended tooltip generation, which is one of the points we spent a fair bit of time on, is still there. We won't be using it immediately -- as the old system didn't -- but it's there for future purposes.
  • The system for local cooldowns on attacks and moves is still there, we're relatively happy about it, and we may still use that in the future.
  • We have a new vantage point from which to look at the combat system, and we've found one approach which didn't work.

All is fair in love and war, and shit happens sometimes. We're going to give the situation some pause and thought, and return to it when we feel we have new and better ideas. We may consider pushing future changes to separate Valhalla servers, but I also didn't hate running this as a test on the real server, as we did get good and immediate feedback from doing so.

Thus: We're, apart from the armor changes, reverting to the old combat system, and there'll be a normal patch on Wednesday.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Combat Revert

Postby shubla » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:25 pm

It's a fukken combat un-update Image
Last edited by shubla on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ninijutsu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Thank you!
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby ElGato » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 pm

Cool, come of the changes still made it.
burgingham wrote:We are all Gato, and Gato is Delamore of course. Goons blablabla...

Caradon wrote:Gato, the anti-ghandi

Sabinati wrote:yeah we're gonna kill you gato!!!
ElGato

Postby NOOBY93 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 pm

we did it
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Brilliant, thank you! :)

And yeah, I think the armour changes are quite cool, once we have an armour repair system in place. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby mstya » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 pm

THANKS!
loftar wrote:
God forbid you'd have to encounter people in an MMO
mstya

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 pm

thx
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Sarge » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Much appreciated. Good call imho and good luck on the brainstorming for the next stab.
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

Postby mstya » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 pm

what u dont comeback this...
loftar wrote:
God forbid you'd have to encounter people in an MMO
mstya

Next

Return to Announcements