Game Development: Combat Revert

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Combat Revert

Postby Forik » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:26 am

Thank you for listening and compromising with the community, Jorb!
Forik

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 am

Might I suggest, on the Valhalla idea, to post it up for 2-3 weeks. Give fair warning about when it'll go live without any meaningful feedback, and then push it at that time. If you're getting some meaningful feedback, then keep tweaking the matter, and push the date back a bit so that people can get a feel for changes made.

For what to do with Valhalla, look at the previous suggestions. Incentives to log in there to play with the new system might be useful, too.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby ArgentRhapsody » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 am

thank god.

While I respect the ambition to revamp the combat system, that new implementation was simply not ready.
Last edited by ArgentRhapsody on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArgentRhapsody

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 am

how many months till they consider reforming combat again? maybe years? hooray we did it...
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby yagogoii » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:36 am

so , are dev still working on new combat system, or reduce its priority a little?
i have some shiny idea base on 4-color system :MC and UC moves creat red and green opening separatly as basic funtion ,and some special moves creat yellow&blue opening,or some unique debuff to increase damage down. which means deal&resotre red and green much easy than yellow&blue.

may be i can post a treat later for more detail.
yagogoii

Postby Zlyde » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 am

How about being able to customize attacks, like able to choose which color opening a certain attack targets and creates. Of course powerful or heavy attacks might need to be uncustomizable though.

Each color could have varying effects depending on how much they have accumulated.
Each attack have different effects depending on what color they are set to target.

Ps. Armor repair pls, as a year long newbie, this new fragile armor system makes me fear for my steel supply, as Im not able to have enough free time to have a constant steel production...
Zlyde

Postby Granger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am

jorb wrote:
  • We're keeping the new armor model, for now. We don't hate it, and it leaves room for further development in terms of armor repair.

Wasting my 6666st post on this, which I hoped to keep for something more 'convoluted':

First and foremost: Please give us a method to repair armor, especially peripheral stuff that can be gilded (shoes and whatnot), ASAP.

Second, what about changing the armor model from
Under the new model, both hard and soft armor soak eat damage at a cost of damage to the armor, but the soft soak is only gradually applied to incoming damage, with the full soft soak value of damage only being deducted from the damage if the damage exceeds 2x the soft soak value.
to soft armor soak being applied first (incl. distribution of damage that passes through onto the character) but not dealing damage the armor (only hard soak will do that), after that is done and there is still damage to distribute the hard soak will come in to fully block that (damaging the armor) and afterwards any leftover being applied to the character?

This would lead to:
  • armor still protecting against heavy hits as before
  • any fight will deal some (but light) damage to the player (scrapes, cuts, bumps, whatever quickly heals by itself)
  • combat no longer being eternal, as damage is dealt a victor will emerge
  • god mode against smaller stuff (incl. other players) gained from high quality armor ceases to exist
  • small mobs no longer damage armor, so repair bill for dealing with them won't be excessive anymore
  • nevertheless sets a limit on how much easy stuff you can slaughter (as you'll run out of SHP), modeling exhausting gained from the efforts of combat
This would IMHO make the armor model better, armor less binary and damage to armor more palatable.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Kmab » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 am

julian12it wrote:Don't see a reason for later armor repair. If you make it so you are able of repairing armor, it might cost steel for plate body, or gold for Dragon Helm. If you make it lose 20% of it's total HP, people might just do it. If you make it so it cost a butt load of items to repair and lose 20%, people will just craft new gear. You either fuck people real hard, or not at all.

It is quite simple to leverage.
The cost of new armor may be increased significantly, in compare to repairs. So that will make it economically reasonable.
Furthermore, smiting skill/credo may influence the possible repair cost and effect.
I'd love to have this in game.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Kmab

Postby Sany_CZ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:55 am

Maybe we need some "transformative" attacks and restoration, that would just move, or switch colors. Ie switch red opening to be green and vice versa.
That would allow effective use of other moves.
I use for example Quick barrage the most, by the time I have some IP, there is no need to use chop, as I have allready build good red opening and dont need to invest in green one.
Sany_CZ

Postby Sarge » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Granger wrote:Second, what about changing the armor model from
Under the new model, both hard and soft armor soak eat damage at a cost of damage to the armor, but the soft soak is only gradually applied to incoming damage, with the full soft soak value of damage only being deducted from the damage if the damage exceeds 2x the soft soak value.
to soft armor soak being applied first (incl. distribution of damage that passes through onto the character) but not dealing damage the armor (only hard soak will do that), after that is done and there is still damage to distribute the hard soak will come in to fully block that (damaging the armor) and afterwards any leftover being applied to the character?

This would lead to:
  • armor still protecting against heavy hits as before
  • any fight will deal some (but light) damage to the player (scrapes, cuts, bumps, whatever quickly heals by itself)
  • combat no longer being eternal, as damage is dealt a victor will emerge
  • god mode against smaller stuff (incl. other players) gained from high quality armor ceases to exist
  • small mobs no longer damage armor, so repair bill for dealing with them won't be excessive anymore
  • nevertheless sets a limit on how much easy stuff you can slaughter (as you'll run out of SHP), modeling exhausting gained from the efforts of combat
This would IMHO make the armor model better, armor less binary and damage to armor more palatable.

Yeah, this sounds really good, I like it.
factnfiction101 wrote:^I agree with this guy.
Sarge

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements