In-person item exchange dialogue / interface thing

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

In-person item exchange dialogue / interface thing

Postby » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:38 pm

I have often wished to be able to simply exchange items with another hearthling in HnH. Right now this is done in person by putting things in a container, or dropping them on the floor. Even this does not work, though, in areas where one or both hearthlings don't have theft permissions (common in villages and community places in general, where people might especially want to be able to exchange with each other.) It would also be nice to be able to exchange one or two items on my own claim without giving blanket theft permissions for everything.

exchange_flower.png
exchange_flower.png (170.86 KiB) Viewed 983 times

exchange_dialogue.png
exchange_dialogue.png (111.68 KiB) Viewed 983 times

I don't know why this isn't part of HnH already? Is it redundant since the current way works well enough? Too safe? (Allow people to use theft on the items in the exchange window then?) Not high enough priority or important enough, given that the current system works well enough for people to get by?

An exchange window like this would also allow people to show each other objects without actually giving them to another person, and again without needing to use a container.

Re: In-person item exchange dialogue / interface thing

Postby tigerlrg245 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:53 pm

+1
would make trading easier and safer, also great for playing with other people
tigerlrg245

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:07 pm

If you're not requesting a secure trade interface, wouldn't simply clicking an item on a hearthling with the flower menu choice of "give" be enough to give? Maybe with an acknowledgement to accept?

I'd make a point about harassment with such a thing, but there's already so many ways to harass and cause issues with other players that are legit or otherwise. The popup acknowledgement would be a bigger pain in the ass to deal with than simply having pockets filled with trash. The menu confirmation of "Give" would be enough to discourage most harassment and potentially to discourage it in combat to screw with the opponent.

Just to note, secure trading (such as the mock-up pictured) has been turned down multiple times.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Wrt harassment, maybe there could be a toggle to allow items to be accepted? Otherwise people would not have the option to open a dialogue or click "give" or whatever it is.

MagicManICT wrote:Just to note, secure trading (such as the mock-up pictured) has been turned down multiple times.

It's nice to know it's been turned down, but I'm now left feeling curious why. I'm not sure without more thought what keywords to try searching more with.

Postby Mario_Demorez » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Could make it where you can only do these trades at a table of some sorts. Both participants have to be sitting at this table and they place the items on their sides and both select when they are ready to trade
Mario_Demorez

Postby shubla » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 pm

We have barter stands and stuff, we dont need things like these.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Aceb » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 pm

✧ wrote:I don't know why this isn't part of HnH already? Is it redundant since the current way works well enough? Too safe? (Allow people to use theft on the items in the exchange window then?) Not high enough priority or important enough, given that the current system works well enough for people to get by?

jorb wrote:
Leez03 wrote:I like the fact that you can be scammed with current trade. Trader have to build reputation.

This. A safe trading interface is not something we even find desirable.

Search, maybe?
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:11 am

Something like this doesn't have to be secure, though. It could allow you to take stuff with the theft skill and would still be convenient compared with current practice.

Or the "give" right-click option suggested also wouldn't be magically secure.

Postby Aceb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:15 am

I personally see no difference in that. If someone is going to scam You, this is unnecessary. If someone's not, well. And well, as Shubla said:

shubla wrote:We have barter stands and stuff, we dont need things like these.

+ in CF I've seen people trading just fine, even without them.
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:43 am

✧ wrote:in areas where one or both hearthlings don't have theft permissions (common in villages and community places in general, where people might especially want to be able to exchange with each other.)

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas