theft and horse rage

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

theft and horse rage

Postby synaris » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:16 pm

i doubt jorb and loftar will care or believe me, but i may as well warn other players.

me and my buddy were hunting mammoths when one bled out and died after running on someone elses claim. so i had to STEAL what was RIGHTFULLY OURS and now im redhanded.....

also, i know im the only archer in the game, but if yall feel like dicking around with a bow, make damn sure no tamed horses are around. despite being partied and kinned and in the same village, shooting the mammoth we were fighting caused my pals' horse to attack me. they were dismounted because we were fighting mammoths, but the horses saw fit to murder me. obviously they were not successfull but it was annoying. try to make sure those horses are as far as possible if you plan on hunting the traditional way.
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

Re: theft and horse rage

Postby jorb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Tame horses shouldn't attack archers. Will look at that.

The mammoth becoming claimed if running in on someone's claim sounds like intended behavior, though.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Granger » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:25 pm

One could argue that an animal should get flagged with 'last owner' (so it could be picked up) toward the last character that dealt damage to it.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

Granger wrote:One could argue that an animal should get flagged with 'last owner' (so it could be picked up) toward the last character that dealt damage to it.

Ever play Everquest in its early days? Like first year, maybe two? This was how kills were determined. A lot of mobs and the resulting loot and xp were taken this way. It's been a long time ago now, and it'd probably take search fu beyond my abilities to find the right patch notes, but it was a serious problem linked to this.

Of course, this is Haven with a couple hundred active people logged in at any given time, and EQ's high tier zones would have 50-100 people camping in them each, and at least that many on "wait lists" for groups. It probably won't be an issue for a while, but if the game grows beyond more than a few hundred active players, there will be conflict over this sort of thing. Conflict in the game? good. Conflict over an arbitrary game design decision on the forums? Bad (and not the "you stole it" "no you" type, more the "omg these duvs sux!!"
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:49 am

synaris wrote:i doubt jorb and loftar will care or believe me.

I did, after all, at one time cast doubt on your indisputable account of the expiry time of a branch, so how could it possibly be assumed that I would ever believe anything that isn't entirely congruent with the obstinate imagination of reality that only exists inside my stubborn head.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Granger » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Granger wrote:One could argue that an animal should get flagged with 'last owner' (so it could be picked up) toward the last character that dealt damage to it.

Ever play Everquest in its early days? Like first year, maybe two? This was how kills were determined. A lot of mobs and the resulting loot and xp were taken this way. It's been a long time ago now, and it'd probably take search fu beyond my abilities to find the right patch notes, but it was a serious problem linked to this.

My suggestion was to allow hunters to pickup their prey from a foreign claim - not denying others pickup of animal corpses on unclaimed land. Good point in bringing up what side effect a half baked approach could have.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Return to Bugs