A Guide to Bypassing Sketch Color Conversion

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

A Guide to Bypassing Sketch Color Conversion

Postby jacksonblu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:36 am

Have you ever uploaded an image because you want an awesome customized knarr
only to have the image get mangled when all the colors get converted to the ingame palette?

Well as it turns out, there might be a way to bypass that color conversion!
(For this method, I used Gimp, a free image editing program. You can probably get the same result with other image editing software, but this is what I use.)

Step 1: Resize your desired image to 512x512, 256x256, or 128x128. The maximum image size for uploading is 512x512, so if you want maximum quality for use on a knarr, you should resize to 512x512. Because of the way the game displays custom images, they might not come out right when rendered ingame. If you plan on using your image on a smaller object, like a shield or a painting, then you might want to resize to 256x256 or 128x128 instead so that it renders properly. The less detail you need, the smaller your image should be.

Step 2: Get a palette of all of ingame haven colors. Html color codes are: Red - #f01432, Orange - #dc5a1e, Yellow - #e6dc32, Green - #32b419, Turquoise - #5abebe, Blue - #2828e6, Purple - #be2882, White - #dcdcdc, and Black - #1e1e1e

Step 3: Convert the image from RGB mode to Indexed mode, using the palette you created and dithering enabled.

Step 4: Export the file so you can get an actually usable image.

Now you've got an image that won't be affected by the color conversion when uploaded!

Now enjoy your awesome barter stand or sweet kna- WAIT A MINUTE
:shock: :shock: :shock: You need 43 BARRELS of linseed oil and 532 PSYCHE just to craft this thing!

Guess you gotta fork over some cash to Jorb and Loftar if you really want that nice knarr. (Store sketchbook pages can be used to craft a sketch for free, without the material cost or psyche requirement)
http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/store
Last edited by jacksonblu on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
jacksonblu

Re: A Guide to Bypassing Sketch Color Conversion

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:41 am

Thanks for this! It's come up often enough that a guide has been needed. I added it to the "Beginner's Guides" sticky here.

I could have sworn someone has posted one before, but I can't find it anywhere. (If anyone has a link, shoot me a PM with it so I can make sure both are listed.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 am

jacksonblu wrote:WAIT A MINUTE

You should perhaps also keep in mind that after your dithered image makes it through mipmapping and texture filtering on the GPU, it might not look exactly as you imagined it to look. I can't recommend dithering if you want an image to look predictably in a certain way in-game.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jacksonblu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:49 am

loftar wrote:You should perhaps also keep in mind that after your dithered image makes it through mipmapping and texture filtering on the GPU, it might not look exactly as you imagined it to look. I can't recommend dithering if you want an image to look predictably in a certain way in-game.

Thanks, made a note about it in the OP
jacksonblu

Postby azrid » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am

thanks
azrid

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm

ty my man, love u
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Jesterz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Thank you! Been wondering about this for a while.
Jesterz

Postby mvgulik » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:10 pm

jacksonblu wrote:only to have the image get mangled when all the colors get converted to the ingame palette? ... [Image Gone]
mvgulik

Postby blank » Sun May 03, 2020 2:56 am

any way to get rid of the spottiness, and make it more smooth?

blank

Return to How do I?