Remove in-game time

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Remove in-game time

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:37 pm

shubla wrote:Its not even 1/3!
Veterans know that its more like 1/3.something, but some probably arbitrary value chosen by the devs.

A game day is something like 8.33 hours.

Attas wrote:I may be wrong, but isn't the time on localized resources given in IRL time?

Pretty sure it's in-game time.

Anyway, if it's non-trivial to implement I guess this thread's moot.
DDDsDD999

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:35 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Anyway, if it's non-trivial to implement I guess this thread's moot.

Even if it takes a month to dig everything out and change it, then it's worth the effort IMO. Anything that makes this game a bit more new player friendly is worth the effort. It's not something that has to be done all at once, either. Parts can be sifted through and flagged for an update. When all the parts are found, then it can be pushed. Might take a couple weeks of just digging through, might take a few months of a little time here, a little time there. I know it will be tedious work as "in game time" is the basis for about everything, but not everything, which why it should change.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Not at all to say that we intend to implement anything like that (it's not at all on the plans or anything), but I don't hate what MM has done with Salem with the introduction of expedition servers. If we were to do something like that in Haven, I wouldn't be foreign to the idea of letting in-game time on such a server pass faster, which would affect everything that is specified in in-game time (curiosities, crops, smelting times, &c&c), but not such things that are specified in real time (drying time on catapults, the time for new plots to become active, realm challenge times, &c&c). In that way, it makes sense to keep a distinction between in-game time and real time, and also to specify things in terms of in-game time so that their presentation is identical between such servers.

Of course, on the other hand, the scenario is quite hypothetical, and I certainly agree that it is somewhat problematic to present things in terms of in-game time.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:30 pm

loftar wrote:Of course, on the other hand, the scenario is quite hypothetical, and I certainly agree that it is somewhat problematic to present things in terms of in-game time.

That's only part of the problem, the other part is that there's no distinction between which time is being referenced. You yourself just listed off things that use real-life time, but there is no indication when you get that alert that it isn't in-game time like most other things are. At a bare minimum, specify which it is please.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Ardennesss wrote:the other part is that there's no distinction between which time is being referenced.

That's actually the part I consider problematic with presenting time as in-game time. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't really have any qualms about it. I'd love to have a good way to specify which it is, but writing "(in-game time)" or "(real time)" explicitly everywhere would be unspeakably ugly.
loftar

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Fair point. Why is there a particular reason everything can't just change over to ingame time for consistency of conversion?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 pm

Ardennesss wrote:Fair point. Why is there a particular reason everything can't just change over to ingame time for consistency of conversion?

Well, as I said above, some things are actually specified in terms of real time, so it seems to make sense to present them that way. I guess you could argue for forgoing that just for the sake of consistency, and that's not necessarily a bad point. I guess my main problem with it is that, since the real-to-ingame time factor isn't exactly 3, but 3.29, those times would be just... ugly. For instance, realm challenges take two real-time hours, which would then be presented as 6:34:48, a completely unacceptably un-numerological value.

I'unno. Probably the fix that would make the most sense would indeed be to discard the hypothetical scenario above, remove in-game time and just present everything as real time. Arguably, my main problem with doing so isn't even discarding the hypothetical expedition scenario, but just that I like, and am quite attached to,the idea that the in-game day/night-cycle is specified in terms of 24 in-game hours. If you just give me a few months, I might be able to cry myself out of the illusion that I can have nice things. ;_;
loftar

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 pm

loftar wrote: Arguably, my main problem with doing so isn't even discarding the hypothetical expedition scenario, but just that I like, and am quite attached to,the idea that the in-game day/night-cycle is specified in terms of 24 in-game hours. If you just give me a few months, I might be able to cry myself out of the illusion that I can have nice things. ;_;

For what it's worth, I really miss the dark dark DARK nights of Legacy.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:55 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:For what it's worth, I really miss the dark dark DARK nights of Legacy.

I don't disagree, but I have to admit that it kind of sucks when you're playing in a room that's not in total darkness and you can't see what's on the screen. If anything, I've long wanted to do something along the lines of making the image more monochromatic and increasing the contrast to make the image look darker even though it's not necessarily using low RGB values. I've seen the following picture being used to exemplify the technique, and I think it illustrates how a scene can look dark without actually being difficult to see in a lit room.
ER8YQ.jpg
ER8YQ.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 1819 times

Doing it properly may require HDR rendering, however, which I'm not sure I want to force on everyone.
loftar

Postby ctopolon4 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:04 am

imho need to make only one measure, not both,
catapult inspect= ingame time
local resource inspect= real time
(don't really remember where which timer, but both at same time in the game, with no mark where which one )
ctopolon4

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas