Improvements: more into wicker picker, butchering, drinking

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Improvements: more into wicker picker, butchering, drinking

Postby Zebukin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Game is awesome and was developed and balanced so much since W6 (last time I played before)!
I am playing during month and noticed some misses:

A.
Few forageable items can`t be stored in wicker-picker.
Like: royal toadstools, waybroads (even mussles, cuz we collect tons of them).
I think, any small collectable things like plants, or fibers, or peppercorns and peapods should be stored in special containers like this basket.
And why tea leaves can be kept with wicker picker only fresh? C`mon! Let me hold green tee there, at least. And black tea in the special metal/wooden container. I am making 50—80 litres of tea at once.

B.
Buchering and spitroasting. It looks weird and odd, when i must use full corpse even without skinning.
I hope it will be reworked same way like small animals do.
Also there should be complex actions and buttons in round menu like:
Skin only
Clear (skin + clean entrails/intestines etc)
Full butcher (from skin to bones)
Additional repetative clicking is annoing, especially when you need to butcher 20 hens or 5 calves.
That is why we love Amber client: it reduces unnecessary clicks a lot!

C.
It is ok, when character do not interrupt walking, when he start to drink. But looks a bit strange, when he drinking and continue mining…
So in general: more optimizing here and there. Wheelbarrows are great for example! Very-very handy! And i want to see something like this for tea/peper

D.
One barrel can hold 100 kg of flour and but 1000 grains of wheatplant (1000 kg). Its a bit odd when grains have density like lead. I think it because barrel use «units» instead liters/kilograms.
Last edited by Zebukin on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebukin

Re: Small improvements and polishing 4 better gameplay.

Postby Jalpha » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:54 am

Balance issues come into play for a lot of what you suggest. The wicker picker is a low tier source of extra inventory. It's not really designed for late game inventory management. There are already plenty of options. Pepper is also supposed to be time intensive to create and for good reason.

You do have a point with barrels now that silos are a thing.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 pm

A grab bag thread, but I found some good things in it. Will try to look at some of those.

Also

Small improvements and polishing 4 better gameplay.

That's what the entire forum is about. I'm sure there's a better title for this thread.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Infinity-Production » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Zebukin wrote:Game is awesome and was developed and balanced so much since W6 (last time I played before)!
Few forageable items can`t be stored in wicker-picker.
Like: royal toadstools, waybroads (even mussles, cuz we collect tons of them).
I think, any small collectable things like plants, or fibers, or peppercorns and peapods should be stored in special containers like this basket.
And why tea leaves can be kept with wicker picker only fresh? C`mon! Let me hold green tee there, at least. And black tea in the special metal/wooden container. I am making 50—80 litres of tea at once.

If you have problem with making tea here is a tip for you.
You can use 6 cupboards at the same time with a cauldron, you can even put in a barrel with water or what ever you need.
This example is with a fire place, but you can use it with almost anything, the cupboards will work as your inventory when you open them.
Infinity-Production

Postby Zebukin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Infinity-Production wrote:If you have problem with making tea here is a tip for you.

Thanks, i am using containers and buckets. But i need to transport leaves from herbs tables to kitchen. Sometimes i need to store tea.
And it is strange to use CBS to store cured leaves when we have pile of 250 for fresh.
Zebukin

Postby Zebukin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 pm

jorb wrote:A grab bag thread, but I found some good things in it. Will try to look at some of those.

Also…
I'm sure there's a better title for this thread.

Renamed.
Yay! thanks for fixes (gone to pack toadstools)
Zebukin

Re: Improvements: more into wicker picker, butchering, drink

Postby Jalpha » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 am

It's kind of strange that tea leaves aren't broken down into a powder when you think about it. Like there is the little guy carefully laying dry leaves of tea in his leather tsacks with an axe, two mushrooms and a slice of fish.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Return to Critique & Ideas