Alignment Chart

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Alignment Chart

Postby loftar » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:45 am

maze wrote:Having 3rd partys like that would mean you would have to open peoples IP's.

Not sure what you're talking about. H.323/SIP aren't peer-to-peer (well, unless you want to use them that way).
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:24 am

Recently learned of Matrix, though. Haven't got into all the details, but it seems to be a properly decentralized, federated chat protocol with a lot of features and multiple open source implementations. There's also a reference web implementation called Riot, which should be immediately usable. Since I haven't tried Discord at all and haven't used Matrix/Riot to any significant extent, it's not like I can actually tell, but it seems like a reasonable open contender to Discord.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Vigilance » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:44 am

Literally the only reason Discord has any weight currently is because it appeals to enough groups that it can generate a large user pool.

Cause, y'know, free and easy text/voice chat and memes, dude!

I don't see anything else passing or overtaking discord without being VASTLY superior to it OR being significantly more pander-y to certain majority groups.

P.S. Friendly reminder that Discord killed this forum (Moot.) Rest in peace.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby maze » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 am

Vigilance wrote:~
P.S. Friendly reminder that Discord killed this forum (Moot.) Rest in peace.

legit the thing that annoys me the most is this.

and it's basically why I wish Jorb and loftar would pick discord up as another platform (like facebook) to update us on and to keep them involved with the community.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Vigilance wrote:Literally the only reason Discord has any weight currently is because it appeals to enough groups that it can generate a large user pool.

Cause, y'know, free and easy text/voice chat and memes, dude!

It's pretty much just that skype went down the shitter and discord was there to replace it. It's pretty reliable and easy to manage. idk what memes you're talking about, you can post memes in skype, teamspeak, etc.
DDDsDD999

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 pm

maze wrote:and it's basically why I wish Jorb and loftar would pick discord up as another platform (like facebook) to update us on and to keep them involved with the community.

Might as well add Twitter, too.

I really don't know where their revenue stream comes from, but don't be surprised if every thing you've ever posted there eventually gets used against you, if not in a legal court, then the court of ad spam and "screw the consumer."

DDDsDD999 wrote:It's pretty much just that skype went down the shitter and discord was there to replace it.

It didn't go down the shitter. It was already there. The Microsoft buy just made the issues obvious to all. I don't care for Discord more on a personal level... for now. I absolutely hated Skype.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jalpha » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Discord sells information on users who use catchwords advertisers are interested in.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 pm

discord sells ur chatlogs to NSA, NASA, Hitler and putin! dont use it!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jalpha » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:28 pm

I don't think they can do it that way. Generally the data has to be converted into an anonymous format. So a potential advertiser could purchase a list of digital identities who mention any particular catchword. From that list they can target advertising.

I'm not sure that platforms like Discord and the people behind them get along particularly well with government bodies. In most cases law enforcement creates a lot of issues whenever they interfere. This makes things like chatlogs illegal for them to obtain and illegitimate as evidence in court without a warrant or such. Afaik. I never read privacy statements and if I did none of this would be spelled out so clearly.

The software they developed to predict from all of this who could be a murderous psychopath or drug dealer or whatever got way too many hits and most of the flagged individuals were harmless rendering the software useless anyway. That was some time ago now. Maybe things have improved, just saying it's not that easy even if you have access to all the information.

I pity the poor person who would waste endless hours screening video gamers chats for legitimate security concerns.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby sMartins » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 am

yeah but our datas are for the bots, not for other humans.
I suggest you to watch the movie Upgrade, it kinda gives the idea:
it's tecnique that is asking for that, we have no beacon, we are lost ... equal: we have no ethics at all that tell us something about those problems we are facing in 2018.
Everything that can happen, soon or later, will happen ...

And now in 2018 it's litterally like that, AI needs datas to learn, and I would not be surprised if in the near future (maybe already) some complex artificial intelligence will choose what's better for our life, what choices to take.
And the men who will have the more advanced AI will be always a step forward ... and so on.
That what's gonna happen to me .... a bit of science fiction, maybe some of you know better if something like that is possible .... but you get the idea.

EDIT:
I respect people like Loftar that choose a firm position .... the price is social esclusion, not that I care about that but being not espert like Loftar is with pc language, it's way easier for me to have access to huge quantities of information using the standard channels .... cause where there is people, there is everything. Many people don't even think at what the problem may be, not their fault.
I'm thinking at reddit, and these days even discord ... tho discord is mainly for kids, at least from what I have seen so far, so not so specialized infos, but I guess it will change soon.

Briefly, to make it clear for everybody: you like so much using bots in hnh, soon or later some people will use bots against you in real life and we'll see if you still like it.
Even games needs rules.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot