Custom Permission Names/Colors

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Custom Permission Names/Colors

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:11 am

I know this idea has been broached before, but I'd like to see an option to create a functionally infinite set of permission sets, and to provide them with names rather than merely colors. The colors would be handy for quick identification of Friends/Neutral/Foe, but rather than being the source of the permission itself, they would merely be a way of sorting the permission sets.

Ultimately what I'd like to see is:
Unlimited Permission Types
Permissions Defined by Name (Rather than color)
Ability to choose a color for each permission type from a color wheel, rather than a predefined set.
"Titles" that could be assigned for permissions for Realms/Villages that would (optionally) prepend their name. This title would be separate from the permission name.
Also can I please have a permission that determines whether or not someone I have kinned can see when I'm online? I'd like to determine who on my list gets to know when I log in and out.

Good functional uses here, as well as LARPY ones.
Last edited by Lunarius_Haberdash on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Re: Custom Permission Names/Colors

Postby Granger » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 am

Could you please elaborate on the 'why would anyone want that'?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:40 am

Granger wrote:Could you please elaborate on the 'why would anyone want that'?

idk larping reasons im guessing?

what id rather like to see is being able to give permissions to people oathed to other villages.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm

wonder-ass wrote:
what id rather like to see is being able to give permissions to people oathed to other villages.

Same ... I just accidentally got myself outlawed by having CA on to pass a pclaim across a river, forgetting to turn them off and then picking up a blasted fish of all things off my mains village claim! :roll:
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Mario_Demorez » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Id also like a more advanced permission setup for villages. There are so many roles in the village (farmer/miner/cook/etc). I want to increase security in my village so I can allow new players to join without fear of them accessing something that they don't need to access. I would like to allow my cook to have vandalism/theft in the ingredients storage and kitchen while not allowing miners to come in and take whatever they want. Id like to allow farmers vandalism in fields and animal pins while also having the entire village able to take milk from the area. Some players overlap roles as well, some farmers cook so I have to make a specific role for them or they have to have two different characters.
Could add some sort of option to change from simple color permissions to advanced permissions done by a name basis. Toggle it

Or change it from a color setup to a group setup that you get to name yourself. So i can make a group called "Farmer" and another group called "Farmer-2" and at the cairn I can go through the list of groups and allow tresspassing/theft/vandalism when needed.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Granger wrote:Could you please elaborate on the 'why would anyone want that'?

I may want to assign permissions on my claim to an individual. I may want to be able to note based on their color what Realm/Kingdom they're from without having it appear as their name. I may want to be able to mentally track the permissions they can have without having to assort it by colors (most of which I fucking hate, by the way, the available colors are absolute shit outside of red, yellow, green, and white).

Frankly? Because I hate having to assign permissions by the game's method, which is non-intuitive to me and lacks the gradations of 'Friendly to Fuckstick' I'd like in my permission list.

My Kin List and Permission list are more than just a way to say who does and who doesn't. They're more than just a method of keeping track of friend and foe "Green and Red Yay Fuckstick!", they're a sorting system and catalog of who people are and what my relationship to them is in the game and exactly how much caution I should put into my encounters with them.

As far as the rest? Yeah, there's some LARP in there, to be sure. There's no reason NOT to give that power to organizations that would put them to good use. Combine that with Realm/Village level titles being visible to anyone.

(Note above edit for additional permission)

Mario wrote: I want to increase security in my village so I can allow new players to join without fear of them accessing something that they don't need to access. I would like to allow my cook to have vandalism/theft in the ingredients storage and kitchen while not allowing miners to come in and take whatever they want...

Also for fuck's sake THIS. There aren't nearly enough gradiations in the field cairns and the color schemes to provide the necessary degrees of access within villages. I always find myself wishing I had more colors to work with so I didn't have to use 'best fucking fit' accesses. It's annoying. I just hate being tied to the games permission system so much, it's clunky and unwieldy and there's no reason I should be tied to a limited number of permissions/colors/etc. (I mean, the Trespassing/Rummaging/Vandalism/Theft permissions work well enough, I just don't have enough ability to apply them discriminately)
Last edited by Lunarius_Haberdash on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Mario_Demorez » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:23 pm

(Note above edit for additional permission)

Mario wrote:As far as the rest? Yeah, there's some LARP in there, to be sure. There's no reason NOT to give that power to organizations that would put them to good use. Combine that with Realm/Village level titles being visible to anyone.

Dafuk does this mean.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Fucked up my edit, it's corrected now.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby SlicingTheMoon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 am

I would love to give permissions of parts of my village to entire villages that i am befriended with.
+1 on giving it more customization options.
Always working on intelligent Village Designs.
SlicingTheMoon

Postby Mario_Demorez » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am

SlicingTheMoon wrote:I would love to give permissions of parts of my village to entire villages that i am befriended with.
+1 on giving it more customization options.

I’m personally against giving non villagers permissions in my village but it really should be an option. Just change the color system to a customizable name group system. Group 1 is labeled as this and the cairns around the village allow group 1 to vandalize and steal while group 2 can only steal.

I don’t think anyone’s asking for the breaking down of trespassing/theft/vandalism so that shouldn’t be a concern. We’re only asking for a change from the color system because of its limitations to a small village. My village has 14 active players in it. Most of them have different jobs meaning they don’t need access in parts of the village. I don’t have enough colors to fix this security risk without fucking with their jobs.
Mario_Demorez

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas