Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Postby jorb » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:13 am

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added "Conch Chair", seating.
  • Added "Chitin Powder", Cave Louse Chitin can now be ground into powder.
  • Added "Scarab Talisman", curiosity.
  • Added "Cave Skewer", food.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • We have attempted to improve Valhalla in some significant ways, to hopefully make it more useful for combat testing.
  • Set attributes, equipment, and combat decks are saved specifically for Valhalla, and should be the same between sessions. Note that they are not saved per character, but globally for the account.
  • You have a special ability which can be used to arbitrarily set your combat attributes, within 10-10k without the need for eating from the giant pig. You can not use this ability in combat.
  • There is a well near the spawn area, and waterskins can be found in the refuse. You may also find quivers full of arrows, and ranger's bows.
  • You have all combat discoveries and maneuvers available to you.
  • Base inventory is larger.
  • You can right-click items to set their qualities.
  • Feel free to suggest further improvements.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a bug with windows borking.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $10, is the "Autumn Bounty".

Store Description wrote:Image$10 All the bounty of the season, with pumpkins, and barley, and cobwebs glittering.

All Gold subscribers have been awarded the Autumn Bounty, free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We have noticed that forts abusing the visitor debuff to provide temporary dodge-in-and-out safehavens are a thing in combat, and don't like that much. We have considered a fix for this problem, which would basically imply giving gates three states: Open, closed, and open for visitors. If the gate is open for visitors, you can enter and get a visitor debuff, but you cannot enter while in combat. If the door is open, you, and anyone, can enter, quite simply, without receiving a visitor debuff. Presumably it would take some time to switch to or from the open for visitors stage. Let us know what you think.
  • The main dev focus is the client rendering rewrite, and patches will be small until that has been completed.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Seated in Valhalla

Postby Myrgard » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:15 am

Jorb has though recently developed some hobby for snails, a snail farm in the back of your parlour perhaps?
Myrgard

Postby Sebthegrand » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:15 am

yessss
how2 win again?
Sebthegrand

Postby Ozzy123 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:16 am

jorb wrote:[*] We have noticed that forts abusing the visitor debuff to provide temporary dodge-in-and-out safehavens are a thing in combat, and don't like that much. We have considered a fix for this problem, which would basically imply giving gates three states: Open, closed, and open for visitors. If the gate is open for visitors, you can enter and get a visitor debuff, but you cannot enter while in combat. If the door is open, you, and anyone, can enter, quite simply, without receiving a visitor debuff. Presumably it would take some time to switch to or from the open for visitors stage. Let us know what you think.

pls jorb i beg u do that
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby Redlaw » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:17 am

now to find out what the powder is useful for lol. Looks like a nice update.
Redlaw

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:17 am

hell ya nice update
ChildhoodObesity

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 am

Ozzy123 wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] We have noticed that forts abusing the visitor debuff to provide temporary dodge-in-and-out safehavens are a thing in combat, and don't like that much. We have considered a fix for this problem, which would basically imply giving gates three states: Open, closed, and open for visitors. If the gate is open for visitors, you can enter and get a visitor debuff, but you cannot enter while in combat. If the door is open, you, and anyone, can enter, quite simply, without receiving a visitor debuff. Presumably it would take some time to switch to or from the open for visitors stage. Let us know what you think.

pls jorb i beg u do that

If anything, I should say that a slight alternative on the idea is to, instead of having all gates have these three states, differentiate between visitor gates and ordinary gates, where visitor gates would effectively be "open for visitors" when they are open, quite simply, and ordinary gates would not have the visitor mechanic at all. I'm partial to this solution because it strikes me as more aesthetic, but please voice your opinions on what you prefer.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 am

loftar wrote:
Ozzy123 wrote:

pls jorb i beg u do that

If anything, I should say that a slight alternative on the idea is to, instead of having all gates have these three states, differentiate between visitor gates and ordinary gates, where visitor gates would effectively be "open for visitors" when they are open, quite simply, and ordinary gates would not have the visitor mechanic at all. I'm partial to this solution because it strikes me as more aesthetic, but please voice your opinions on what you prefer.

What's to stop people from just closing the gates?
DDDsDD999

Postby Artemiswhb » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 am

loftar wrote:If anything, I should say that a slight alternative on the idea is to, instead of having all gates have these three states, differentiate between visitor gates and ordinary gates, where visitor gates would effectively be "open for visitors" when they are open, quite simply, and ordinary gates would not have the visitor mechanic at all. I'm partial to this solution because it strikes me as more aesthetic, but please voice your opinions on what you prefer.

If that were to happen, please make it so that the current gates turn into visitor gates by default :?
Artemiswhb

Postby loftar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:What's to stop people from just closing the gates?

Not sure why that would be a problem.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to Announcements