DevStream 20181031, 19:00 UTC

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: DevStream 20181031, 19:00 UTC

Postby shubla » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:59 pm

too bad that I always manage to miss them!!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jordancoles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:00 am

Finally, a hat with some charisma

Thanks Jorbo
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:41 am

Nice hat!

Why do I always end up missing the ones with loftar. :(
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:32 pm

Streams should be announced some time before they happen, I am sure that many people missed the stream only because the announcement came only day or two before the stream.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby jordancoles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:54 pm

shubla wrote:Streams should be announced some time before they happen, I am sure that many people missed the stream only because the announcement came only day or two before the stream.

I missed it because it happened at noon on a work day

But it was a holiday in this case so the day couldn't really be negotiated
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Jalpha » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:34 am

Loftar has not aged since I last saw him in a Salem stream. Requesting tips on retaining such youthful features. Pretty sure he bakes his own bread with magic flour but there has to be more to it.

I also wanted to make a suggestion regarding qualities nodes which you discussed during the stream. Would you consider implementing transient quality nodes?

The way I envisage it would involve a decrease in local node quality for every resource which is removed from a location. This decrease in quality would be mirrored by an equivalent increase to the quality for a node of that type at a random location in the game world. Such a mechanic would completely remove node camping. It would however likely greatly increase the rarity of high quality items and may not be a suitable thing to implement for things like clay. It would also likely place much greater demand on server resources as hunters would be forced to explore the whole map.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby jordancoles » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:45 am

Q: Why do people use double gates?
A: Making 2 gates side by side and facing oposite directions lets you use a slave key to either go in or out of your base from either side (rather than carrying around a master key).

People also sometimes put a second set of gates a few tiles in from the main outer gate incase someone finds an exploit to hop over visitor debuff because they would at least need to essentially jump over 2 hurtles using the same method to do any internal damage.

Another use for double layers of gates with a bubble in between is trapping animals. You can agro an animal and kite it into the bubble then close either side to fight it safely, for the most part.

It's also a way to use permissions instead of keys, like it was mentioned in the stream.

Wall upgrades to affect base strength sound neat, but it would be much easier to fortify a small hearth vault vs. a giant village claim of legitimate players.

Q: Did you build multiple wall layers in w8 and legacy?
A: Yes. In Legacy it was common to make an outer wall which circled the entire village and then to have individual plots which were preferably 20+ish tiles apart to make rolling rams and getting into multiple plots take much longer and cost more/require multiple rams. Multiple walls were used to avoid the cascade mechanic whenever possible.

We also made outer layers of walls 41(?) tiles from our internal plots to be safe from bows at all times.

Thoughts on seasons: Seasons would be cool, but you'd need to consider how long and punishing they would be. I can see many people during slower periods of the world saying "what season is it? Still Winter? I'll wait until Spring to play again.." Another thing for seasons and animals, it would be cool to get some indoor structures which would be able to support livestock thematically for the winter months.

More things for kingdoms: Similar to how you can have one crown-wearer/king/queen of the kingdom, one kingdom-specific structure such as a large keep/castle which can be built by the leader anywhere on the kingdom's claim could be interesting.

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:26 am

jordancoles wrote:Thoughts on seasons: Seasons would be cool, but you'd need to consider how long and punishing they would be. I can see many people during slower periods of the world saying "what season is it? Still Winter? I'll wait until Spring to play again.." Another thing for seasons and animals, it would be cool to get some indoor structures which would be able to support livestock thematically for the winter months.

I think that could be a good thing. Rather than grind stats all day erry day, people can take some seasonal break. It provides an incentive to play that isn't just a blank void screaming "sandbox" at you. It's why competitive games like league and overwatch have seasonal divides. It provides a push to players for crunch-time and keeps them from being "eh, I can just grind to those stats whenever I want." There's also usually breaks between so the players aren't "I need to be grinding, all the time."
DDDsDD999

Postby Amanda44 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Just caught up with the vid ... always nice to see you Loftar and interesting to hear what you both have to say.

I also kinda like the idea of seasons and effects, so long as they are not too punishing on players, crops and livestock ... tbh I worry already with regard to all these injuries you keep introducing, it's fine now in an established world when we all have access to everything we need, my numerous bee-stings went overnight in a high q bed but in a new world it's gonna be tough, esp for new comers to this game who are already at a disadvantage with not knowing what to do or what's about to befall them and I worry they are just gonna quit once they get covered in injuries they can't yet treat and which disable their chars with the lowered stats.

Can we have some kind of new decorative item in the next patch, instead of an injury? :P

A fancy cupboard maybe with a glass section to display smaller things like tin soldiers, bronze steeds, a small decorative table maybe with carving (we have a lot of chairs) , a statue for the gardens or maybe a double bed (four poster with curtains now we have more variety in cloth) ... pls.

Anyway ... thanks for the Halloween hat ... bat wings, yay! :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby shubla » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Next dev stream should be announced well before the date that it is on, so people can prepare some time to watch it.
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements