Headsup: Change to movement implementation

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Headsup: Change to movement implementation

Postby loftar » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:36 pm

The fix to clipping into water tiles mentioned in the Fishy Owl update was quite a bit of a workaround rather than an actual fix, which also introduced the problem of not being able to put down carried things when mounted. It was there because a real fix was quite tricky and I had to think it through for a fair bit before implementing it. I'm now pushing the real fix, which involves quite fundamental changes to how player movement works.

There shouldn't be any visible changes (apart from dropping objects from mounts working again), but since the code is so fundamental, there's quite some possibility for unintended side effects, so I'm just posting this to ask you to please keep your eyes open for potentially bad such side effects, and report them as soon as possible if exploitable. Thank you!
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Headsup: Change to movement implementation

Postby loftar » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 pm

loftar wrote:the """problem""" of not being able to put down carried things when mounted.

Also, thoughts on formally making it so that things cannot be carried while mounted, as a reasonable form of compensation for the benefits of being mounted? ¦]
loftar

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 pm

loftar wrote:report them as soon as possible if exploitable

Zentetsuken

Postby loftar » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Well, you can laugh all you will, good Sir, but most exploitable behaviors are actually reported rather than used. I take that as one vote for disabling carrying while mounted.
loftar

Postby AntiBlitz » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:53 pm

just make the horse place something on its saddle bag similar to how the packrack is for the cows, except 1 slot. and exempt characters from carrying shit over head while on horse. Perhaps make the horse unable to sprint as well. I will mention however, the convenience factor of not having to get up and down off a horse a billion times to move shit is going to be painful.

I meant if you must do it, not as the proposed removal all together. I dont think its that bad honestly.
AntiBlitz

Postby shubla » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:00 am

loftar wrote: I take that as one vote for disabling carrying while mounted.

Second vote for this!!
Make it impossible to teleport with full carts while you are at it.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MooCow » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:29 am

Please don't make it so you can't pick stuff while on a horse.

Paving the ground, while riding a horse and simultaneously carrying a wheel barrow, gives me such joy.
MooCow

Postby Cknfrydsteak » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:14 am

Glad to hear that my report actually got the underlying problem fixed! I meant to go do some followup testing after the initial fix to see if it was technically still possible to clip into water tiles, but I ended up getting locked in my base through means I'm still not sure of and wasn't able to do so. Seems that won't be necessary now, but I'll be sure to report anything else I find.
Though I guess it is disappointing about not getting the cape...

By the way, some changes to dead players were made that patch. I haven't retested it, but I know at one point is was possible to remove a constitution item from your person and kill yourself in doing so, but continue to keep holding the item (and optionally drop it when you so pleased) after death. Any clue if that quirk was fixed too?

Looking forward to the next big patch. Keep it up!
Cknfrydsteak

Postby Granger » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:26 pm

loftar wrote:Also, thoughts on formally making it so that things cannot be carried while mounted, as a reasonable form of compensation for the benefits of being mounted? ¦]

As the combination of a horse with a lifted boat containing a raft makes travel into unknown territories easy and straightforward (as it turns water from being an obstacle to a minor annoyance as of the clicking involved) one could argue that this might deserve a little nerf. Lifting stuff (like logs, corpses, ...) when out and about is a nice feature though and removing it would be quite annoying. Increasing the drain on pony power while having something lifted could be a reasonable compromise.

Spending the whole life on a horse - while farming, cooking, crafting, mining, whatnot - on the other hand is IMHO silly and should get the axe. Could be implemented in the form of auto-unmounting when performing object interactions as stuff isn't reachable from horseback (possibly with auto-mounting when the action has completed, for convenience) and jorb adding some nice animations for mounting/unmounting that waste a second or two in each direction could be enough to end on-horse everything (as walking would be faster from lacking the delays to hop on/off between movements).

Also riding could impact the perception of characters, as looking from higher up might lead to no longer noticing certain things down on the ground.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Artemiswhb » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Granger wrote:As the combination of a horse with a lifted boat containing a raft makes travel into unknown territories easy and straightforward (as it turns water from being an obstacle to a minor annoyance as of the clicking involved) one could argue that this might deserve a little nerf. Lifting stuff (like logs, corpses, ...) when out and about is a nice feature though and removing it would be quite annoying. Increasing the drain on pony power while having something lifted could be a reasonable compromise.

Spending the whole life on a horse - while farming, cooking, crafting, mining, whatnot - on the other hand is IMHO silly and should get the axe. Could be implemented in the form of auto-unmounting when performing object interactions as stuff isn't reachable from horseback (possibly with auto-mounting when the action has completed, for convenience) and jorb adding some nice animations for mounting/unmounting that waste a second or two in each direction could be enough to end on-horse everything (as walking would be faster from lacking the delays to hop on/off between movements).

Also riding could impact the perception of characters, as looking from higher up might lead to no longer noticing certain things down on the ground.

Yeah because fuck having nice things. :roll: Meanwhile they could work on things that actually matter at the moment, like the severe imbalances in qualities, or food just to name a few.
Artemiswhb

Next

Return to Announcements