Some combat ideas for next world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Some combat ideas for next world

Postby Granger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Regarding the speed buffs I completely dislike them as they're breaking immersion.

While I can understand the interest in being able to catch someone fleeting from combat I also understand anyone who wants to get away (especially the ones who get combat imposed on them unwillingly). I still would prefer a 'flee' action that gives a decent enough speed boost to get away, paid for by randomly shedding inventory contents and equipment so one would leave a trail of stuff when fleeing, cartoon style. As it would have a cost (in items) it would give some loot to the ones that are denied the 'kill', especially should anvil+hammer get the needed nerf so quality metal items (like armor and weapons) would have value again from no longer being able to mass-produce them from mediocre metal.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Granger wrote:I still would prefer a 'flee' action that gives a decent enough speed boost to get away, paid for by randomly shedding inventory contents and equipment so one would leave a trail of stuff when fleeing, cartoon style.

Sounds fun, actually, might consider. Though it does overlap with my previous "Dash" suggestion.

Might be more fun to implement as a kind of pseudo-weight system, where having a more loaded inventory/equipory makes you move very slightly slower. Slightly afraid that might lead to the development of a much more complete and complex weight system, however, which I'm less than perfectly fond of.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:03 pm

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:I still would prefer a 'flee' action that gives a decent enough speed boost to get away, paid for by randomly shedding inventory contents and equipment so one would leave a trail of stuff when fleeing, cartoon style.

Sounds fun, actually, might consider. Though it does overlap with my previous "Dash" suggestion.

Might be more fun to implement as a kind of pseudo-weight system, where having a more loaded inventory/equipory makes you move very slightly slower. Slightly afraid that might lead to the development of a much more complete and complex weight system, however, which I'm less than perfectly fond of.

That sounds kinda abusable. An alt behind on a horse to pick up dropped gear, and to "flee" from towards your victim. It would also mean you can't participate in a counter-gank once your friends catch up to you if you drop something important.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
loftar wrote:

That sounds kinda abusable. An alt behind on a horse to pick up dropped gear, and to "flee" from towards your victim. It would also mean you can't participate in a counter-gank once your friends catch up to you if you drop something important.

Should make it so you can only drop stuff you've had equipped since before combat. Still abusable if you drop aggro, but whatever.

loftar wrote:Might be more fun to implement as a kind of pseudo-weight system, where having a more loaded inventory/equipory makes you move very slightly slower. Slightly afraid that might lead to the development of a much more complete and complex weight system, however, which I'm less than perfectly fond of.

Having to min/max water and gear in inventory sounds terrible. If we couldn't carry water in belts in inventory people would be getting dunked just because they ran out of water already.
DDDsDD999

Postby jorb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 am

One idea I could get behind, on the topic of speedbuff stacking, is to make it so that you can't even pick up a speedbuff when you already have one. That way you'd be forced to leave it behind to your pursuer. Not sure what the net effect of that kind of periodicity (I get one, you get one, I get one....) of picking them up would be.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:04 pm

jorb wrote:One idea I could get behind, on the topic of speedbuff stacking, is to make it so that you can't even pick up a speedbuff when you already have one. That way you'd be forced to leave it behind to your pursuer. Not sure what the net effect of that kind of periodicity (I get one, you get one, I get one....) of picking them up would be.

You could stand still right next to the speed buff for a split second to remove the buff, and then run through it. Would need to make it so you can't get it for the whole duration, whether or not it gets stopped. Or just make stopping not break the buff.
DDDsDD999

Postby NOOBY93 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:33 pm

jorb wrote:One idea I could get behind, on the topic of speedbuff stacking, is to make it so that you can't even pick up a speedbuff when you already have one. That way you'd be forced to leave it behind to your pursuer. Not sure what the net effect of that kind of periodicity (I get one, you get one, I get one....) of picking them up would be.

Seems like one would just avoid going in the direction of speedbuffs if they expect not to be able to use it properly. Instead of "you get one, i get one" it would be (from the perspective of the runner) "I get one, nobody gets that one, i get one", etc.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:11 pm

a cooldown on the speedbuff for like 30 seconds is more than enough tbh, and speedbuffs shouldnt stack.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 pm

wonder-ass wrote:a cooldown on the speedbuff for like 30 seconds is more than enough tbh, and speedbuffs shouldnt stack.

spawnrate should be decreased by a decent amount as well imo, id say its near perfect then
ChildhoodObesity

Postby loftar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Actually, please let me ask what y'all think about the speedbuffs in general. Do you agree that they're a nice idea if just polished enough, or do you believe the game would be better off without them, plain and simple?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas