thoughts on bringing back perma death

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: thoughts on bringing back perma death

Postby 2d0x » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 am

Maybe still introduce the arena of gladiators (1x1, 2х2, 4x4) with permanent death, money rates and good prizes (for example, unique kingdom bonuses and items)?
Excuse me, I don't speak English.
2d0x

Postby Agame » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:01 am

Please, don't. Just don't.
PvP is all about stats AFAIK. So a guy with bigger stats will always win unless he gets zerged. Permadeath means the highest stats guy's best interest is to kill all the other almost as high stats players so they do not catch up with him, then he can never die anymore. He is free to do as he pleases with everyone, no retaliation can succeed against him.
Current mechanics give a chance to the "almost as high stats" players to recover and stay in the race. And with current mechanics, the highest stats guy's best interest is not to make all the "almost as high stats" players hate him at the same time.

I prefer current mechanics.
Vigilance wrote:just remove midgets, they suck ass and serve no function besides annoying people.

As a rule of thumb, everything that makes life easyer and less boring/grinding for players is a great idea. Everything that makes the game harder is crap coming from sadistic tendencies of Jorbtar helped by the few players with the same kind of disorders.
Agame

Postby Ninijutsu » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am

We never truly had permadeath. Let's not forget about Einherjar, which could result in death making your character stronger than before.

At any rate, it's appropriate that, along with the new combat being less rewarding of skill & innovation than the legacy one, the punishment for defeat be reduced in parallel. Imagine how bad it would feel to permanently lose a longterm character when you knew there was nothing you could have done to stop it because his stats determined your fate. Now imagine the same situation, but you outwitted your opponent and almost won. Very different experience. And, at least for me, a very different probability of starting up another character.

Wounds are a pretty decent solution to the change in combat dynamics, as much as I want to roll back to world 7 in certain ways.
Of another era.
Ninijutsu

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Redlaw wrote:Only seen people complain about archery being broken since the lasd of the dead in the game could have its quality changed at a whim. As that is the only place I have heard its broken, cause who in there right mind would use it in PvP main world (it has sucked and likely will keep on doing so).

So you're saying you have no experience with it? I'll tell you right now it's brokenly overpowered in its current form.
DDDsDD999

Postby Embers » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:30 pm

The reason big bois were running around is because they ate a lot, probably too much for their health, which resulted in huge charisma attribute gain, that then exploded into millions of lp per a lucky quest.
They are dedicated enough, and were rewarded for that, i dont see a problem with that.
Permadeath isnt a culprit of the "problem" (was einhar even nerfed tho?), overeating is. And i hope it gets somewhat balanced in the upcoming world.
Embers

Postby HasseKebab » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Embers wrote:The reason big bois were running around is because they ate a lot, probably too much for their health, which resulted in huge charisma attribute gain, that then exploded into millions of lp per a lucky quest.
They are dedicated enough, and were rewarded for that, i dont see a problem with that.
Permadeath isnt a culprit of the "problem" (was einhar even nerfed tho?), overeating is. And i hope it gets somewhat balanced in the upcoming world.

I agree to be honest, i can imagine people dying a lot more next world with stats you could call normal tbh.
HasseKebab

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Permadeath is still very much a thing. If old siege mechanics are back where there are no shields then we may actually see a lot more death in W11. If you can much more easily get to another players hearthfire then the idea of being able to teleport to one is less safe, right?

I think the idea of your entire progress not being lost by a bad dice roll during your first or even 10th encounter with a bear is something that has helped to increase the playerbase here. I miss permadeath but I think it will be very interesting to see how a world works where the first month wont be filled with random polish gankers cruising around the world being able to kill you before you make your palisade. A significantly safer world to forage early curios and hunt in might impact the game in very fun and interesting ways.
Zentetsuken

Postby Aceb » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 pm

Perma death is still there, it is just harder to die lol. Especially I laugh from people like want it because they die to stupid shit like ants. xD

Especially that death now means something that You probably deserved / wanted it. Not random thing or titan killing You just because.

But oh well, to be productive to topic I would suggest adding hidden wound factor.
- Each time You are K.Oed, it takes your hidden wound factor + random number from 0 to CON divided by 10.
- If the value of hidden wound is higher than your CON, your concussion will be bigger by the % it over takes your CON, (too big concussion + wounds = death)
- If the value of hidden wound is lower than your CON, your concussion will be lesser by the % it takes from your CON, rounded down to some value
- This way, if You are being K.Oed too much, You increase your chance of dying each time. The only escape from this is to increase your CON.
- Starting points of hidden wound factor are being taken from 0 to 10, which is basically your starting CON, upon very first K.O
A quest for a hat. - W10
Haven't spawned yet
Aceb

Postby MightySheep » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:23 pm

perma death is a very big part of the appeal of this game to me tbh

people tell me its not really gone anywhere though so not sure what the issue is
MightySheep

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:31 pm

MightySheep wrote:perma death is a very big part of the appeal of this game to me tbh

people tell me its not really gone anywhere though so not sure what the issue is

If someone gets ko'd all combat relations are dropped. After 30 seconds the ko'd person can hearth back or, if not outlawed, log out. So you have to deal all their HHP damage by the time they get ko'd for them to die. Moves do a maximum % of the person's max HP. Cleave, for example, will do up to 60% of someone's Max HP as HHP damage.
DDDsDD999

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas