global pool is a bad idea and here's why.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

global pool is a bad idea and here's why.

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:55 am

Granger wrote:Which means that someone mass-farming things can 'monopolize' them through stockpiling them (instead of studying/crafting) long enough for all others to give up on looking for that item?

Global pool is a terrible system that actively helps botters since bots dont need sleep and can effectively farm them 24/7.
witcher 3 had the same problem where people would farm cows all day and get ridiculous amount of gold, so what they did was design a new monster that spawns in when you kill too many cows which was a stupid high level monster that could kill you in a single hit.

so i suggest the same idea the witcher 3 had. spawn in area themed monster/animal in heavily patrolled areas by players, and make it so the monster/animal cant despawn. want to farm more in that area? group effort kill it. the average hermit wont get effected by this change but big factions that farm these spots 24/7 will have to deal with them or farm forageables in different areas leading to people actually exploring.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Re: global pool is a bad idea and here's why.

Postby Field » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:47 am

Global pool is a bad idea, but your solution isn't good either.
Number of problems:
- mobs can be lured away
- mob doesn't despawn

Also not sure if it really wouldn't affect hermits. Popular trading spots easy to get griefed? I really don't feel it.
Field

Postby Agame » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:20 am

Makes life in heartlands more difficult and dangerous. OP, please scrap your post before Jorbtar finds and implement it. Both Jorb and Loftar love to implement anything that makes our virtual lives worse or downright impossible.
Vigilance wrote:just remove midgets, they suck ass and serve no function besides annoying people.

As a rule of thumb, everything that makes life easyer and less boring/grinding for players is a great idea. Everything that makes the game harder is crap coming from sadistic tendencies of Jorbtar helped by the few players with the same kind of disorders.
Agame

Postby MightySheep » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:24 am

or you could just do runescapes method where random NPCs teleport next to you (if you are actively doing something) and offer some low level free item but if you ignore them then they get mad and teleport you away to a random place

it was pretty infrequent but enough to help vs botters

I agree that global pool concept is dumb as fuck
MightySheep

Postby sabinati » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:34 am

it works the same as resources. people hoarding salt doesn't prevent more salt from spawning.
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:11 am

sabinati wrote:it works the same as resources. people hoarding salt doesn't prevent more salt from spawning.

Loftar suggested that consumption of the resource encourages more spawn in a recent post, which started this rumour.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Fostik » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:57 am

Im pretty ok with global pools, but it should be balanced based on online.
The thing that worked pretty well in w10 with 200-300 online.
But foraging absolutelly broken with 1300 online.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby shubla » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:35 am

Current curio spawning system sucks, its way too irregular, botters will always get the longest straw.
I would really like to see explanation from devs why they think that current system is better than lets say.. A fixed chance to spawn curios when you go around.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Sevenless » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:29 pm

shubla wrote:Current curio spawning system sucks, its way too irregular, botters will always get the longest straw.
I would really like to see explanation from devs why they think that current system is better than lets say.. A fixed chance to spawn curios when you go around.

Global pools let the devs control how much exists in the world. Botters get a bigger share yes, but botters don't get an infinite share. I remember W5 when forage bots really took off. The amount of crap they could generate was *huge*. Under this system at the very least bots can't force the world to generate endless curios.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby shubla » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:51 pm

Sevenless wrote:
shubla wrote:Current curio spawning system sucks, its way too irregular, botters will always get the longest straw.

Global pools let the devs control how much exists in the world. Botters get a bigger share yes, but botters don't get an infinite share. I remember W5 when forage bots really took off. The amount of crap they could generate was *huge*. Under this system at the very least bots can't force the world to generate endless curios.

I don't care how many curios people who bot have.
I only care about the fact that there are long periods of them when I don't find any cool curios.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas