Game Development: Siege Chess

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Siege Chess

Postby jorb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:20 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Began implementing siege changes as outlined in this thread.
  • Added Archery Towers. Archery towers can be loaded with arrows and automatically fire at, and damage, any siege machine within 180 degrees in front of them. They can be hand-bashed. Archery towers must be constructed at least five tiles away from other towers.
  • Catapults can no longer damage anything other than players and siege machines.
  • Battering rams are now required to destroy walls.
  • Siege Machines can now be locked. They are not pickable.
  • Siege Machines now need to charge up in order to attack certain things. They do so over time.
    • Archery towers need a one hour charge to attack other siege machines. They can never attack other archery towers.
    • Catapults and Battering Rams can attack Archery Towers, Catapults and Battering Rams after two hour's charge.
    • Battering Rams can attack Palisades after 24 hours, and Brick Walls after 32 hours.
    • After 48 hours, Catapults and Battering Rams will begin decaying over time.
    • After 60 hours, Archery Towers will begin decaying over time.
  • Catapults take damage when attacking. Battering Rams and Archery Towers do not.
  • Battering Rams take damage when moving, and will need to be repaired after each move. A Battering ram can move 7.5 tiles per move. Repairs take an hour.
  • Catapults take damage when moving. They can move 4 tiles before they need repairs.
  • Repairs incapacitate Towers and Siege Machines for one hour.
  • Claims are notified when a Siege Machine is 24 hours away from possibly attacking it, whether the machine was constructed within range, or moved within range.
  • Added a small exclusion zone around catapults and battering rams to prevent them from being used to block people.
  • DO NOTE: It is still possible to bash siege machines by hand, and we intend to change this slowly, and conservatively. For now: Only a fixed amount of damage can, when destroying by hand, be dealt to Catapults and Battering Rams per unit of time. In order to destroy a Siege Machine, you will have to whack at it for about five minutes.
  • We're unsure of the implications of these changes, and open to any and all suggestions. The idea is to add more gameplay to the siege experience, and make it a reasonably fun and balanced experience for everyone involved. Fully possible that this makes no one happy, but if siegeing was impossible as it was, I do at least not think that we've changed too much about that in one go.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Reverted the Knarr Travel Weariness from last patch, so that it should now always be possible to travel to Dock. You still do get travel weariness from doing so.
  • Fixed a bug by which you could use gilding song on multiple items to get down into negative XP.
  • Increased the building cost of Realm Carins significantly, and enforced greater distances between them.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Cleaned up some hotkey conflicts under the build menu and moved Display Sign, Written Sign and Runestone to Furniture -> Signs & Display.
  • Fixed an obsolete error message where battering rams complained about the glue being too fresh, rather than the brimstone. Rum, sodomy, and the lash awarded to loftar.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $10, is the "Flamenco Bobble Trim".

Store Description wrote:Image$10 Let the rhythm of the dance sweep you away in fiery flamenco! Arriba!

All Gold and Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Flamenco Bobble Trim", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development Siege Chess

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:20 pm

If my fireplace has stopped burning when the server is back up...
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby trinh » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 pm

It's fukken doom of farmers T_T
trinh

Postby Robertzon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 pm

age of empires towers pog
Robertzon

Postby shubla » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 pm

1. no fix for lack of pearls
2. no more colors
3. now I have to get more tar to build adock
4. No fix for credos being too grindy
Not a good update me thinks!!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 pm

NOICE
Last edited by Zentetsuken on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zentetsuken

Postby Jazcash » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm

shubla wrote:1. no fix for lack of pearls
2. no more colors
3. now I have to get more tar to build adock
4. No fix for credos being too grindy
Not a good update me thinks!!

How are you bitching about big changes to the siege system that they've been trying to get right for ages and that half the playerbase has been screeching for
Jazcash

Postby Axucs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm

OMFG, rily auto tower? salem?
https://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc
World 8 - Lawspeaker of Great Houses,
World 9 - Lawspeaker of Great Houses,
World 10 - One of the founders Hedgehugs realm,
World 11 - Evil mind of Hedgehugs realm,
fanatical idealist, coalition maker/breaker, political crook, chaotic thinker.
Axucs

Postby Lightning2 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:24 pm

They can be hand-bashed. Archery towers must be constructed at least five tiles away from other towers.

first thing I see is 3 towers stacked next to eachother, bamboozled by update picture
Lightning2

Postby GamingRAM » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:24 pm

So uhh....

How are we supposed to be able to destroy our own walls now? What's the point of the wrecking ball?
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Next

Return to Announcements