A brief exposé on casting rod fishing

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: A brief exposé on casting rod fishing

Postby Sevenless » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:26 am

Granger wrote:When I tested it last world I found that there is one combination that leads to a successful catch with a high chance, one or more with a low(er) chance and at least one where the fish will escape with your bait and/or destroy the rod with a quite high chance.

There's multitudes of tackle combos that <100% catch chances. i just ignore them since perfect catch combos seem to exist for each species without using gold/crab stuff. Can't verify the breaking issue, I didn't notice much of a breaking difference between low % catch rates and high.

Is it possible some of your tackle was lower Q? When trying to verify the softcap thing I was breaking something/losing lures every second cast because my quality was so low. If you swapped to say woodfish, you'd have a much higher rate of lure loss since they're low Q.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:42 am

Sevenless wrote: If you swapped to say woodfish, you'd have a much higher rate of lure loss since they're low Q.

I tend to lose fewer woodfish than others, even at q10 (cause saving the better wood for upgrading and coal).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:16 am

Sevenless wrote:Is it possible some of your tackle was lower Q? When trying to verify the softcap thing I was breaking something/losing lures every second cast because my quality was so low. If you swapped to say woodfish, you'd have a much higher rate of lure loss since they're low Q.

They were all low quality.

With 'high chance of escaping wth bait' I wanted to say 'basically every time', not every 2nd. They ate that 'bad' lure off the hook, reproduceable.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Zixxa » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:10 am

I've never seen anything above Q35ish. Someone mentioned above that there's hard capping from equipment so I'll have to test that out (although this round of fishing was done almost entirely with Q60+ equipment). In general I just expect fish to never get good quality, and treat the dried fish as a pretty good variety food.

Actually, Cave Angler allways 70Q+. I actually saw 250Q, so... Wait, is this fish?

Somewhat catched 53Q Herring in Ocean, not more. Probably, after some time, fish become less usefull, because can't raise Q.
Zixxa

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:50 am

Cave Angler is "fish," but it's a large animal and fishing rules don't apply to it, combat rules do.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:49 am

MagicManICT wrote:Cave Angler is "fish," but it's a large animal and fishing rules don't apply to it, combat rules do.

A large animal that doesn't get other bonuses aimed at large animals in the credos.

Sure is tasty when dried though.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:35 pm

A couple of points I want to make after rereading the thread.

1) Quality of gear matters in rate loss, and some fish will show up with a higher quality tackle (q40+ or more) that wouldn't necessarily show up with the same tackle at a lower quality (-q20). As an example, I was fishing for eel for the credo. I was on "the spot," and my gear, with the exception of the rock lobster, was all <q20. Never saw a one. Switched to hide strap and bone hook, both >q40, and it showed up every time with 100% gear rate (x location rate, of course).

2) Location is king. What might be a rare fish in most nodes can have a fairly good sized location in other places. Yes, "fish hunting" is a thing... kind of like soil or clay hunting.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:21 pm

MagicManICT wrote:A couple of points I want to make after rereading the thread.

1) Quality of gear matters in rate loss, and some fish will show up with a higher quality tackle (q40+ or more) that wouldn't necessarily show up with the same tackle at a lower quality (-q20). As an example, I was fishing for eel for the credo. I was on "the spot," and my gear, with the exception of the rock lobster, was all <q20. Never saw a one. Switched to hide strap and bone hook, both >q40, and it showed up every time with 100% gear rate (x location rate, of course).

2) Location is king. What might be a rare fish in most nodes can have a fairly good sized location in other places. Yes, "fish hunting" is a thing... kind of like soil or clay hunting.

1) were you using low Q hide strap/bone hook vs high Q? I've never seen any impact of quality, but every component of the fishing tackle matters for some fish. Doing my softcap test on the rod I was comparing Q70 tackle to Q7 and there was no impact on node location or fish density. I've also seen nodes with sharp drop offs and seen them wiggle up to 5 tiles. There's a lot of variables.

2) I think I covered that in "How fish nodes work", but node mapping is definitely important.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 am

It wasn't a matter of density, but the frequency of showing up in the list. Below a certain value, despite knowing eel were there to be caught, they just weren't showing up. I'd like to say it was an exhaustive test, but it wasn't, as a few items i didn't have in varying qualities. I'll just say on the combos I was using, the eel were showing at location % x 100% for all of them, but it'd flip between 1 out of 5 (just a rough estimate at the lower quality) to every time. One of the guys in my village who had already done the credo was telling me I just needed to get the best quality gear there was, and eel would always been there. Good quality Rock Lobsters were the only key. This, of course, is for that location.
MagicManICT

Postby SedvorY » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:50 am

MagicManICT wrote:It wasn't a matter of density, but the frequency of showing up in the list. Below a certain value, despite knowing eel were there to be caught, they just weren't showing up. I'd like to say it was an exhaustive test, but it wasn't, as a few items i didn't have in varying qualities. I'll just say on the combos I was using, the eel were showing at location % x 100% for all of them, but it'd flip between 1 out of 5 (just a rough estimate at the lower quality) to every time. One of the guys in my village who had already done the credo was telling me I just needed to get the best quality gear there was, and eel would always been there. Good quality Rock Lobsters were the only key. This, of course, is for that location.

But then, if with higher quality eel always appear, it means another fish stop to showing up, do you mean that for that "other" fish, you need low quality items in order to show up oftenly? For me this doesnt make so much sense, in my experience, quality is more like a softcap of the quality off the fish we can get. Also didnt notice big diference in lure loosing with higher or lower quality, the clero bonus in this mattar was so much impactful than the quality of the lure in my experience.
SedvorY

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?