Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Perry Flotsam

Postby Bozdogan123 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:23 am

Maybe the client rewrite thing is taking priority? Afaik at least
Bozdogan123

Postby sabinati » Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 am

Here are the last 4 patches to refresh your memory. Maybe you don't like everything in them but they all contain positive changes.

Game Development: Bog Turtle Boogaloo
Thu Apr 18, 2019

New Implementations
-----------------------

Added "Bog Turtle", small animal.

Key Fixes
-----------------------

Made it so that unclaimed walls no longer require siege engines to demolish. They still have soak. Lowered soak of palisades.
Made it so that Border Cairns cannot be claimed using a private claim. Both suggested here.
Catapults & Battering Rams now take about an hour to destroy by hand.
Lobsters should now actually be possible to catch. Fulgurite cape awarded to loftar.

Small Fixes
-----------------------

Fixed a bug causing produce from natural trees to be of decimal quality, rather than Q10.
You can now stockpile apples again.
Fixed a small bug by which it was possible to enter through a visitor gate with aggro using a bed.

Game Development: Mead & Cider
Thu Apr 25, 2019

New Implementations
-----------------------

Added "Mead", for now, at least, you can only ferment honey water straight to mead, but we do have some future plans for fruit and spice meads, and such. Desatiates: Primarily Vegetables, secondarily Game and Nuts & Seeds.
Added "Cider", for now, at least, you can only make apple cider, but we do have some future plans for more generic fruit ciders. Desatiates: Primarily Poultry, secondarily Shrooms and Offal.

Key Fixes
-----------------------

Contemplating hunger from last time, we came up with a less invasive change that we thought we could try, thus: Hunger now scales with satiations. I.e., if you are down to 0% satiation in a particular foodgroup, you will not gain either hunger or FEPs from eating it. This should resolve at least the miner complaint about not being able to eat for energy with some ease. Not sure this makes sense lore wise, but it might make mechanical sense. You are not punished in terms of hunger for eating at lower satiation levels.
Catapults & Battering Rams now take about two hours to destroy by hand.

Small Fixes
-----------------------

Fixed a couple of bugs with opening flower menus while other actions are being performed, and doing retarded things like turning a roasting spit from a cave level below, and such.
Fixed a bug with the starvation wound not updating properly.
Fixed a bug by which it was impossible to teach the last point in combat moves present in the starting deck.
Fixed a bug by which you could get to the other old boot without having learned the first old boot.
Fixed a bug by which Knarrs always took the sketch slot as a zero quality input.
Fixed a bug by which corpses, if carried overhead while swimming and drowning, would disappear, rather than drop in the water.

Game Development: Cigar Box
Sat May 04, 2019

New Implementations
-----------------------

Time gated non-credo quests. There is now a fixed amount of non-credo quests you are allowed to complete per unit of time (about 3 per RL day), but that amount is buffed while you lie below the global server leader in number of completed quests (Up to a maximum of about 12 per RL day). Some steps have also been taken to reduce the randomness in the rewards given. You can buffer a significant amount of quests, so there shouldn't be a major rush to complete them instantly.
Added "Cigar Box", curiosity.

Key Fixes
-----------------------

Made it so that satiations disappear faster the more satiated you are. The intention being to incentivize eating at lower satiation levels. Satiations generally disappear in about two days, rather than one, to compensate.
Also made it so that satiations build up from 0% to 100%, rather than decrease from 100% to 0%. Purely visual change.

Small Fixes
-----------------------

All non-water drinks now restore about 10% energy per gulp you drink of them. Milk restores about 2%. Scales with quality. The drinks' preffered drinking vessel matters.
Can now leash animals to mine beams (the metal ones).
Added string to the bear cape recipe. Suggested here.

Game Development: Perry Flotsam
Wed May 08, 2019

New Implementations
-----------------------

Added Knarr Flotsam. Whenever a Knarr is destroyed, it now spawns a number of Knarr flotsams. Flotsams act more or less as temporary chairs in the water, and you can cling onto them in hope of rescue.
Added "Perry", pear cider, made from pears. Desatiates: Primarily 'Shrooms, secondarily Meat and Creepies & Crawlies
Added "Indigo Cap", mushroom.
Broke out a new satiation category "Sweets & Desserts", primarily from "Bread". Suggested here.

Key Fixes
-----------------------

Increased the time it takes to smash Battering Rams and Catapults by hand from two to three hours.
Palisades should no longer cascade if smashed by hand, fixing a number of problems we've had recently with wall cascades used to break into bases.
Significantly eased satiations on several high end food items, primarily cheeses.

Small Fixes
-----------------------

Gathering resources from natural wonders now takes about 2 minutes per unit harvested. The idea being to make life a little harder for alt gatherers, and to give some chance to contest the items. Unsure if meaningful.
You may now drink grape juice, and apples give more cider than previously. Reported here.
sabinati

Postby Redlaw » Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 am

Also remember they are working on something that is larger. A medium size project that is between the render rewrite and nomral adding fun small items level. Not a dungeon though. Read the updates past this last one, see the clews.

Sometimes the small comments at the end of the update says a lot more then you think.
Redlaw

Postby Kaios » Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 am

sabinati wrote:Here are the last 4 patches to refresh your memory. Maybe you don't like everything in them but they all contain positive changes.

Positive in what sense? That's just like, your opinion man. Maybe some of them are positive but does that make them productive? "Small Fixes," for example, are productive changes. Bog Turtle is filler content. Resource picking timer is unnecessary. However, those are only my opinions too.

More focus on fixing issues with previous changes would be something productive I'd like to see them do more often, such as cascade appears to be borked at the moment causing personal wall removal to be significantly more painful than it usually is. Giving higher priority to certain issues like the ore/rock quality fluctuation and resolving things like that in a more timely manner would be nice too, there are several mechanics in similar positions that end up being implemented and their problems go unresolved for way too long afterwards.

At the moment a body dropped in deep water still vanishes which makes me all the more wary of the knarr flotsam mechanic. I'm not aware of anyone having tested that out yet to see what happens in certain scenarios but I suspect there will be some issues with those as well.
Kaios

Postby sabinati » Fri May 17, 2019 3:06 am

i'm not trying to argue about this change was good or this change was bad. i'm just sick of the constant bitching about the weekly updates we get from a two-man dev team, because if you don't like a change, make a reasoned argument against it in C&I thread and maybe they'll change it. maybe it will be in a week, maybe it will be in 50 weeks or more, or maybe never, people need to chill out, it's not the final version of the game lol
sabinati

Postby Hasta » Fri May 17, 2019 3:29 am

sabinati wrote:i'm not trying to argue about this change was good or this change was bad. i'm just sick of the constant bitching about the weekly updates we get from a two-man dev team, because if you don't like a change, make a reasoned argument against it in C&I thread and maybe they'll change it. maybe it will be in a week, maybe it will be in 50 weeks or more, or maybe never, people need to chill out, it's not the final version of the game lol

There are a lot of valid arguments in C&I, but also a lot of "noice". as jorb calls it.
There are a lot of frustrating and not-very-well thought changes in the latest patches.
One can throw only so many ideas at a stonewall, before one gets frustrated and "bitchy". If a particular chnge gets a persistent, strongly negative feedback, it would be wise for the 2-man dev team to spare a moment saying "yes, that didn't work as we planned, it'll be reworked later on" or "no, this is necessary for the developement course we're planning, sorry but this stays". This action would diminish further "bitching" to a minimum, and that minimum would be dealt with by active forum members themselves, which would show the respect and appreciation we (most of us, at least) have for the devs' work.
Since the vacuum of information about the controversial changes seems to become a tradition, the bitching levels will inevitably raise, increasing the mutual hostility between general population and the devs.
And, again, lashing back is an appropriate reaction for a person. For a moderator, admin, or even a developer addressing his game's community - not so much.
Hasta

Postby jordancoles » Fri May 17, 2019 3:59 am

If a patch is small I generally don't comment at all anymore. Content will come eventually, and that's fine.

What annoys me though is when we get a patch that doesn't do much more than give the players a kick in the dick only to have them waiting a week for another one like it. The 2 minute harvest timer, or bumping the hand-bash timer for catapults/rams by another hour each week are good examples. I'd prefer no patch at all over stuff like that.

Also, getting no new features in a week isn't the end of the world but I do get annoyed as a gold subscriber when a week goes by and I miss out on $10 of value because no hat was added.

Tbh, if only a hat was added with no new additions (to make time for bigger patches down the line) that would be 100% okay with me. I want that hat tho.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby loskierek » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am

jordancoles wrote:If a patch is small I generally don't comment at all anymore. Content will come eventually, and that's fine.

What annoys me though is when we get a patch that doesn't do much more than give the players a kick in the dick only to have them waiting a week for another one like it. The 2 minute harvest timer, or bumping the hand-bash timer for catapults/rams by another hour each week are good examples. I'd prefer no patch at all over stuff like that.

Also, getting no new features in a week isn't the end of the world but I do get annoyed as a gold subscriber when a week goes by and I miss out on $10 of value because no hat was added.

Tbh, if only a hat was added with no new additions (to make time for bigger patches down the line) that would be 100% okay with me. I want that hat tho.

this a hundred times, I would rather have them pump more time into more substantial content than waste time making changes which are nothing more than a little flavour - the only upside from recent month or so was the addition of more drinks which is only good because they made satiations so utterly bad
loskierek

Postby Kaios » Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am

There are many updates/fixes/improvements they could be working on instead of random garbage like more drinks and more satiations. Icicle issue should be addressed, combat needs some changes, siege is still useless, realm buffs could be changed and improved regarding the Irminsul/Monolith, seamarks should drain more authority to deter them from being placed excessively on the same continent, the rage/non-rage situation, questing still sucks nothing was really changed with it when the time-gate was added (study x5 strange crystal and 100 cat golds, wouldn’t want the player being able to study a good curio on a credo quest that would be too nice), blah blah the list goes on.

Making further changes to siege such as adding and increasing times to bash siege machinery and giving walls repair times has done nothing to add value to the siege system. These are changes that are meant as nothing more than bandaids making siege look more like patchwork than a well thought system. The wall repair time doesn’t seem to have any sense to it at all, every wall I’ve tried to repair lately gives that timer message after one block and it lasts forever.
Kaios

Postby jorb » Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Kaios wrote:siege is still useless

Much like you are, you maximum sprucecap of a dweeb, but, on this note, there's been approximately no feedback on the recent changes we have made to it, so I'd like to know why.

(No feedback except you now dismissing it offhand, of course. Oh well.)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements