Client performance update thread

Forum for alternative clients, mods & discussions on the same.

Re: Client performance update thread

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:31 am

Ardennesss wrote:
loftar wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:I sincerely hope you're coding on a potato if you're getting 32 FPS with only that on your screen... Otherwise, I don't have super high hopes for the outcome of this project.

Actually, that's just because I have a weird issue with my GPU sometimes in that, when it isn't loaded enough, it stays clocked down to the power-saving performance state even though that causes individual frames to run over (since the next frame is still mostly idle due to vsync, the driver doesn't consider it loaded enough to clock up). It's happens particularly often to me in houses or caves, but sometimes also outside like this. It's actually pretty retarded, but I also haven't cared enough to try to solve it.
A good real world test would be to test the new performance with ~100 animals on screen.

also shit ton of dead animals. 100+ to be exact.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Kandarim » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 pm

A quick note - these updates are super interesting for me to read.
I've experience with writing and optimizing GPU (CUDA) code from an academic perspective, but I have only vague ideas about the principles of render optimization.
I've always carefully stayed away from rendering code when doing client work :lol:
So thanks for updating us in this way! Nice reads.
Kandarim

Postby shubla » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:33 pm

30% improvement even without most of the optimizations that are planned to be done in the future sounds quite nice.
Of course, the real issue for many is lag in large villages with lots of objects and animals.
If fps in villages is not affected, the improvement is quite meaningless for most!

But thinking of the positive side: You only have to achieve quite small improvement to the average fps improvement per day. Because even small values would be a lot!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby loftar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Ardennesss wrote:A good real world test would be to test the new performance with ~100 animals on screen.

While that might be interesting to test, it should be noted that the real fix for lots of animals is the "instancing animated meshes" listed in the OP. Though I'd expect tick parallelization to also help quite a bit.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby azrid » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm

hyped to see this project finally finished
azrid

Postby Kaios » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:24 pm

loftar wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:A good real world test would be to test the new performance with ~100 animals on screen.

While that might be interesting to test, it should be noted that the real fix for lots of animals is the "instancing animated meshes" listed in the OP. Though I'd expect tick parallelization to also help quite a bit.

It would probably help players a lot if they could build barns to store animals inside a building, otherwise you tend to end up with hundreds of animals in one mini-map space in some villages which causes a huge drop in fps around them.
Kaios

Postby azrid » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:25 pm

If barns had large interior spaces where containers with inventories couldn't be placed and fences could be built it would be pretty cool.
azrid

Postby Leksar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:46 pm

We've been developing for two years, and here's what's new.

*posts a screenshot with 30fps*

Oh, don't look at fps, I just decided to redo client render on a computer with broken graphics driver.

Sorry, no more screenshots this year, but beilive me, it's almost done ¦]
Leksar

Postby Aoyama » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Leksar wrote:We've been developing for two years, and here's what's new.

*posts a screenshot with 30fps*

Oh, don't look at fps, I just decided to redo client render on a computer with broken graphics driver.

Sorry, no more screenshots this year, but beilive me, it's almost done ¦]

I want to stab you, your ignorance is infuriating.
Aoyama

Postby Granger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Leksar wrote:*posts a screenshot with 30fps*

30 FPS is, when stable at the number, perfectly fine for a game with the pace and control scheme of haven and hearth.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to The Wizards' Tower