Game Development: Fall Time Frolicking

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Fall Time Frolicking

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added Leaf Piles. As autumn progresses, more and more natural leaf piles will appear. Players can run through them, and scatter the leaves, and they will occasionally drop things. Fun! Feel free to suggest additions to their loot tables.
  • Added "Perfect Autumn Leaf", curiosity, forageable.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Animals now eat only about 50% during winter.
  • Villages using "Revoke the Privilege" have since May of last year been capable of revoking personal claims older than themselves, provided that they are within 90% of the age of the claim being revoked. Apparently we never seem to have posted about this change, but we have now updated the description of the action to reflect the accurate situation.
  • We have taken some impression from the requests for a better default client, and have at least investigated some cursory features that we are looking to add to it. For now we have implemented a "Drop all of type to ground" acchord, which you can activate with Alt-Ctrl-LMB on an item.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Being knocked out by catapult should now remove the Red-handed debuff, as a general consequence of being knocked out. Near key fix.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $10, is the "Clockwork Hat".

Store Description wrote:Image$10 Tick-tock, goes the clock! Take a more gaslit view of the Hearthlands, dressed in a goggled Clockwork Hat of steamworks and magick obscura!

All Gold subscribers have been awarded the "Clockwork Hat", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We have begun, and are primarily, working on a combat rewrite.
  • We would like to change the key layout for the item transfer chords to a more consistent setting, i.e...
    • Ctrl-LMB: Move an item
    • Ctrl-Shift-LMB: Move all items of type
    • Alt-LMB: Drop an item
    • Alt-Shift-LMB: Drop all items of type
    ... but are somewhat afraid of upsetting long standing precedents. Please advise with your 'pinions on the matter.
  • The main dev focus is the client rendering rewrite.
  • I will be streaming on Saturday at 19:00 UTC.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook? We hit a thousand likes last week, so that's cool, if Boomerbook things can ever be called that.

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Fall Time Frolicking

Postby czaper2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Good stuff!
czaper2

Postby CaveHermit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:48 pm

Next update what rly dont change game...
CaveHermit

Postby Redlaw » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:50 pm

Looks like a nice update. Hopeing each time we run through the seasons you keep adding to how much worth they are to be in.
Redlaw

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:52 pm

jorb wrote:but are somewhat afraid of upsetting long standing precedents. Please advise with your 'pinions on the matter.

If you are going to create some consistency and establish some standards in how keyboard commands are used, then just do it, but PLEASE give us some heads up ahead of time. Give us enough time to spread upcoming changes into warnings on the wiki, through translations, on discord, wherever the players might be to see them before the change gets made. Not everyone does English, and not everyone is on the forums.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Cimmera » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Made sure to log out using my bed/sleep option again before the server went down but got completely naked this time in case the game eats my stuff again. Nice to see customer service working on the issue. Oh wait. Nothing's being done. That's right.
Cimmera

Postby rhzk » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm

Leaf piles! :P
rhzk

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Cimmera wrote:Made sure to log out using my bed/sleep option again before the server went down but got completely naked this time in case the game eats my stuff again. Nice to see customer service working on the issue. Oh wait. Nothing's being done. That's right.

Not sure I have anything to go on. You claim to have experienced a strange behavior/bug, and I can only report, again, that yours is the only IP that has logged in on the account. Brother, roommate, dog?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Witgang » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:17 pm

i would suggest to follow what Amber /ardenne's client has established as a standard for shortcut key's which seems to be switched in your vision of the game, might be preference but i think ctrl alt LMB is the one that should be used less since is a bit harder to execute than shift alt LMB.
the worst of the combo's tha can be made with this key's should be ctrl shift LMB
Witgang

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Witgang wrote:i would suggest to follow what Amber /ardenne's client has established as a standard for shortcut key's

Namely?

Either way, the point being that Shift has come to be used in many other places to initiate "multi-actions" (such as, area-harvesting, area-sowing, pick-up-multiple-items, &c), and so it would be consistent to use it as such on item transfer/drop as well.

Witgang wrote:the worst of the combo's tha can be made with this key's should be ctrl shift LMB

I agree, which is why I suggested Alt-Shift instead.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to Announcements