Game Development: Key Knarr Combat

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Key Knarr Combat

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:56 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Implemented the ability to set arbitrary keybindings for many/most things. Under the options menu, you have the option to set most available keys to something of your choosing. Presentation and whatnot may not be perfect, so feel free to suggest items, or actions that you'd like to be able to bind to a hotkey. You can set new keybindings for the Action Menu (bottom right-hand corner) using the point and click tool under "Bind other elements...". Long overdue feature, and very glad to have it in.
  • To work around a peculiarity in Java's keyboard handling, a hack has been implemented, which we're not sure works quite as it should, so we'd be glad if people with non-english keyboard layouts and/or input methods take their time to test it out, even if you don't normally use the default client.
  • Added plum stockpile.

Combat Test Server
-----------------------
  • We have setup a test server for our current work on the combat system, which is based on aim based and directional attacks. There are six attacks/moves that are relevant and implemented. Punch, Jump, Left Hook, Kick, Quick Dodge and Chop. You can test it in Valhalla on the server setup for the purpose by using this client. Do note that we have some serious misgivings of our own about using this fundamental approach to combat, mostly concerned with twitchiness, lag sensitivity, and pacing, but we've nevertheless had some fun with it, and thought we might as well let you try it out at an early stage. We'd primarily like to gauge your takes on the fundamental approach of aim-based combat.
  • You attack in the direction of your mouse cursor.
  • Shift + Attack will attack in the current direction of your opponent. (Auto-aim)
  • The following attacks/moves are available:
    • Punch: Standard attack. Balanced in speed and damage.
    • Left Hook: Quick attack. Interrupts opponent. Reduced range.
    • Kick: Area attack in a full circle around you. Damage as punch. Slow.
    • Chop: Weapon attack. Slow. Heavy damage. Very reduced range.
    • Quick Dodge: Attacks miss you while active.
    • Jump: Removes some amount of opening. Very slow.
  • Text descriptions have not been updated.
  • Feel free to try it out!

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Knarr sails should no longer bleed through sketch layers when using bad-cam, or ever.

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a small bug with the per colored usergroup settings for realm menu partially overwriting the Realm's Kin-list.
  • The movement speed toggle (Ctrl + R) no longer wraps around, meaning that you do not go from sprinting to crawling if you accidentally toggle it too many times, because why would you ever want to.
  • The space-bar no longer by default folds down the central UI-elements. There is instead a blank keybinding for this functionality if you wish to use it.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Store Description wrote:Image$10 Ride and rope in the wild hunt of the starry heavens with the Half-Moon Cowboy!

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Half-Moon Cowboy", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Key Knarr Combat

Postby Lalaxx » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:57 pm

first
Lalaxx

Postby sabinati » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Added plum stockpile.

FINALLY
sabinati

Postby Mary_CZ » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Nice update, tnx you both. :))
Mary_CZ

Postby Mary_CZ » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:09 pm

Can be set own keybutton for fighting?
Mary_CZ

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:46 pm

test server very cool! the combat however is going the wrong direction so far its incredibly spammy and quick dodge is completely busted. im sure this is only a test to see the basics working but a few points id like to make.

• attacks should be more fluent no forced animations in place.
  • less spam moves. attacks should be well thought out and not spammed like we have rn in the test server.
  • instead of animations for every move add those cool attack art from legacy :P
  • there should be no dodge mechanic that lets you bypass an attack too op and very ping based.
  • overall slower gameplay and with slower i mean less attack use not slower animations.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Fostik » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Feeling a quite hard lag between my real action and resulting action in game. Looks like this feature code works really slow.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby CaveHermit » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:49 pm

XD That shooting should be deleted and maybe combat will be good :P
CaveHermit

Postby Archiplex » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:52 pm

jorb wrote:[*] We have setup a test server for our current work on the combat system, which is based on aim based and directional attacks. There are six attacks/moves that are relevant and implemented. Punch, Jump, Left Hook, Kick, Quick Dodge and Chop. You can test it in Valhalla on the server setup for the purpose by using this client. Do note that we have some serious misgivings of our own about using this fundamental approach to combat, mostly concerned with twitchiness, lag sensitivity, and pacing, but we've nevertheless had some fun with it, and thought we might as well let you try it out at an early stage. We'd primarily like to gauge your takes on the fundamental approach of aim-based combat.

Messed around for some time, and I think I like it a lot!

With a lot of polishing it could end up as a very fun system; the only concerns I have are how much it'll make the game ping-dependent, but it adds a very nice level of skill expression that I think could end up very fun.

I won't comment on the currently existing skills since they're just there as a proof of concept presumably, but I am curious how you plan to tackle people who opt to just 'run' from combat, given the delay on most attacks means engaging people sort of requires them to try and fight back.

I also think that the new system presents a way for archery to be a fun part of combat- If bows and arrows dealt less damage but aimed significantly faster, it'd be exciting to see them be a smooth part of this combat system (Alternatively, keep the damage but add a new opening that only interacts with archery?)

Fostik wrote:Feeling a quite hard lag between my real action and resulting action in game. Looks like this feature code works really slow.

On the flip side, I found it very smooth. Unless you're talking about the animation delay? I think that's intentional.
Last edited by Archiplex on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby DPblH » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Added plum stockpile.

Why just to not add generic fruit stockpile? Like we have for stones or flowers for example.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Next

Return to Announcements