Game Development: Hit Sting

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Hit Sting

Postby jorb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:42 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

Test Server Combat Changes
-----------------------
  • Moved opening debuff display from combat interface to a new interface associated with the player character object. You will see a players IP and openings directly over the player. Considering adding a Health bar that counts how much damage a fighter hs received.
  • Added an effect to illustrate the hit area for normal attacks. Pew-pew laser fight says hi, but we really have to indicate it.
  • Shortened the range of "Opportunity Knocks", "Knock Its Teeth Out" and "Cleave".
  • Increased the range of "Chop".
  • Added "Sting". Uses spear or sword. Longer range than chop, longer windup time.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $10, is the "Muckraker's Fedora".

Store Description wrote:Image$10 M'lady! Tip your fedora to the uncoverer of the sleaziest secrets of worlds both government and corporate, the intrepid Muckraker!

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Muckraker's Fedora". free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We have begun, and are primarily, working on a combat rewrite. You can try it out using this client.
  • We have spent a fair bit of time discussing and working on the combat system, and will, for that purpose, dedicate a dev stream to it, this Saturday, 26th of October, 19:00 UTC. Loftar will be on, and we will primarily aim to have a fireside chat about the combat system and where we should go with it. Catch you there!
  • The main dev focus is the client rendering rewrite.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Hit Sting

Postby loftar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Just to reiterate, if you care about combat, please be sure to join in on the stream on Saturday, where we'll try to talk a bit where we're at. I would appreciate the opined PvPers to offer their hot takes on the issue.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shubla » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:46 pm

But what about client render update?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm

thoughts about removing the forced only 10 moves? it would be better imo if we could just use all of them.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby loftar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm

shubla wrote:But what about client render update?

Sorry, I've been stumbling a bit with it lately with a number of last issues, if you will. I would like to think that I'm almost there, but some of the issues have been a bit tricky.
loftar

Postby loftar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm

wonder-ass wrote:thoughts about removing the forced only 10 moves? it would be better imo if we could just use all of them.

Well, one of the main reasons why we haven't wanted to do that is that it wasn't particularly nice to need like three or four whole toolbelts in both Legacy and Salem just to fit all the moves. Also, while I'm open to the idea that it might be naïve, I'd like to think that having to choose a combat style in advance might offer some fun variance when fighting unknown people.
loftar

Postby Archiplex » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm

jorb wrote:Considering adding a Health bar that counts how much damage a fighter hs received.

Every custom client has done this since forever ago. Heavily suggested, especially if you guys want to make the default client as useable as other clients.

To be specific, would this health bar be JUST damage taken (a flat displayed number), or a 'real' health bar that doesn't show exact numbers, but shows how much health is roughly remaining? If its the latter, just note that custom clients will inevitably automatically calculate total health.

Also, if you guys do NOT do a massive change to the archery system (such as by making it a weapon type and giving it combat moves), I'd like to suggest adding a percentage indicator on the bar, and perhaps a visual representation of how 'thick' the cone of firing will be.

I remember doing a lot of math back in world 8 in order to calculate damage dealt by bows, the cone of firing and how it reduces over aim %, but all that info is outdated and I don't know if any modern custom clients do it, but it'd be trivial to set it up anyhow.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Flyrella » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:52 pm

I want more non green thatching materials please.
maybe fine clay roofs or metal thatching?

Also, maybe you just should try to play with some custom clients like Amber? It could be a fresh account for safety, but it has so many useful features
Flyrella

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:52 pm

loftar wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:thoughts about removing the forced only 10 moves? it would be better imo if we could just use all of them.

Well, one of the main reasons why we haven't wanted to do that is that it wasn't particularly nice to need like three or four whole toolbelts in both Legacy and Salem just to fit all the moves. Also, while I'm open to the idea that it might be naïve, I'd like to think that having to choose a combat style in advance might offer some fun variance when fighting unknown people.

i wish it worked like this but if the enemy has a worse set up like kito flex cleave vs ravensbite they just run away and change deck there is no strategy involved sadly.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Mary_CZ » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:56 pm

I think, if will be low fps, it will be hard-core for fighting.
Mary_CZ

Next

Return to Announcements