Game Development: Patriotic Takedown

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Patriotic Takedown

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

Test Server Combat Changes
-----------------------
  • Added "Uppercut", pursuit attack. Works much like "Low Blow". Pursue the opponent at increased speed, and hit him as soon as he is within range, but receive a Slow debuff as penalty after.
  • Added "Takedown". Power attack with some buildup. Jump to where you point when executing the attack, and execute a power attack within a large radius when there.
  • Added "Artful Evasion", dodge an attack, and receive an IP if you do, at the cost of a large amount of a new opening debuff if you succeed. The new opening will count just as the normal green opening, with the exception that it disappears after being hit once.
  • We spent some time rewriting move descriptions. Work still in progress.
  • We spent some time working on animal AI for the new system. Work still in progress. The present plan is to finish a working PvP implementation of the new combat system, and try to push that to the real server as soon as possible for real testing, and rework the animals fully after that.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $7, is the "Patriotic Pilotka".

Store Description wrote:Image$7 Join the comrades in expelling fascism from the the Great Motherland, dressed in the Patriotic Pilotka.

All Gold subscribers have been awarded the "Patriotic Pilotka". free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Patriotic Takedown

Postby xzo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:56 pm

nto a big fan of test server changes only, would be nice to have something added to the actual game tbh, even like food recipes or something, many ideas are there
but as per additional moves it looks very interesting, would be nice if you have announced some fighting events where you can win free hats or stuff
Last edited by xzo on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby Mary_CZ » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Nice :) If u put fighting in real w11 world I will need czech keyboard, if its possible , if u were time fix it, bcs hate eng keyboard :D
Mary_CZ

Postby Zentetsuken » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Zentetsuken

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:34 pm

LOL jorb pls these moves are overpowered asf takedown is ridiculous
also correctly blocking an attack with artful broke my game lol. the opening you get from artful is too high imo it would be better if it was the red opening you get from opk and only like 5% of it so people that use it too much to gain ip can get fucked by a cleave we dont need more colors it just overcomplicates the system.

how could you ever counterplay this when 10 people are running after you coordinating their uppercuts????
lowblow normal 4thspeed vs uppercut 4th speed
uppercut also uses less stamina because it simply goes faster
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby shubla » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:16 pm

I agree that its very dumb to use time for something like this.
You will end up changing the combat system again after 6 months anyway.

All that I can hope is that you are actually doing some big thing in secret while also working on combat, instead of using all of your time for combat.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 pm

You can't just band-aid this system by adding these targeted chase moves. Everyone's gonna have to use them to run away using animals/alts. And they ruin the one thing this system had going for it: not using the targeting system. They only make the rest of the moves even less usable.
DDDsDD999

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:You can't just band-aid this system by adding these targeted chase moves. Everyone's gonna have to use them to run away using animals/alts. And they ruin the one thing this system had going for it: not using the targeting system. They only make the rest of the moves even less usable.

How much have you played it? Is your experience that these moves invalidate the other moves? Because that is certainly not my experience. Rather to the contrary, my experience has been that if you try to kite your opponent with the quick pursuit moves you create openings for him to use the non-targeted moves. At the same time, the targeted pursuit moves prevent your opponent from playing entirely passively/reactively.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:30 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Everyone's gonna have to use them to run away using animals/alts.

Only Uppercut actually allows you to move significantly faster. Low Blow only has the slight pursuit bonus that exists on the running server as well. The running away thing may or may not be a problem, considering animals, horses, &c, but a chain of chasers, at least hearthlings on foot, will ultimately have to be constrained by a final alt who is not running at pursuit speed. No?

jorb

Postby jordancoles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:57 pm

jorb wrote:
DDDsDD999 wrote:You can't just band-aid this system by adding these targeted chase moves. Everyone's gonna have to use them to run away using animals/alts. And they ruin the one thing this system had going for it: not using the targeting system. They only make the rest of the moves even less usable.

How much have you played it? Is your experience that these moves invalidate the other moves? Because that is certainly not my experience. Rather to the contrary, my experience has been that if you try to kite your opponent with the quick pursuit moves you create openings for him to use the non-targeted moves. At the same time, the targeted pursuit moves prevent your opponent from playing entirely passively/reactively.

In 1v1 sure, you can land a green punch or a well-timed kick etc as they're running directly into you. The problem is that in group combat people can just target the victim and spam that shit from all angles to close the gaps easily or to land easy hits that you can't really defend against. Even if you quick dodge in time to block one of the attacks, others can immediately hit you between cooldowns. It would actually be a smart move to bait the victim into defending against your weakest party member so that the big bois could follow up with their hits back-to-back while the victim is on cooldown.

Either go nearly full directional combat or stick with the current live game's system imo because at least in the last system you could use defenses immediately and while moving. In this system you can just have people with stupidly high STR and UA use moves that always hit and ignore the aimed moves all together. It'll be raven's bite spam at 20-30% opening all over again because titans still exist and ganking is the usual strategy
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Next

Return to Announcements