Game Development: Grandee's Horse

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Grandee's Horse

Postby jorb » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:51 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added variable coloration to horses, much like for cows. All previously existing horses have been gifted with a random seed. Hopefully the results aren't absolutely horrid.
  • Added two curiosities.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • Fixed a bug by which mining into underground water caused said water to turn into normal cave floor tiles.
  • You can no longer hearth home while on a Kicksled, fixing various problems.
  • May have fixed some problems with certain keyboard layouts, particularly those that write numbers using Shift + Buttons (Fr., Cz, &c).

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Knarr should no longer be animated when frozen in ice.
  • Bush season status should be preserved when placed in wagons around the turns of the seasons.
  • Snekkja's should now be properly influenced by the "Marriage of the Sea" realm blessing.
  • Fixed a bug with ice block bounding boxes appearing assymetrical due to rounding errors.
  • Made it, as suggested so that you can't build hotkeyed things into building projects, repair with hotkeyed items, or shift-transfer them from your inventory. Wanted to prevent crafting as well, but had to leave that in to allow for crafting from water skins and the like.
  • Activating a container item (keyring, toolbelt, &c) from the hotbelt now toggles its UI window on and off.
  • The client should now save the position of the toolbelt window. (Update your clients)

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $10, is the "Grandee's Hat".

Store Description wrote:Image$10 Dress in the garb of their most catholic majesties' court, with the exquisite opulence of the Grandee's Hat.

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Grandee's Hat". free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • With good feedback, and after careful consideration, we have grown doubtful of the fundamental design premise of the new combat system that we have been implementing for some time. While we do feel that the new combat system works fairly well on its own merits, and as a fighting game of its own, we are more skeptical of how it interacts with the general and persistent flight-and-pursuit dynamics of actual combat situations in H&H, especially so given how attacks have windup timers before execution. We will regroup, attempt new takes next week, and intend to try again. You can still try it out using this client.
  • The main dev focus is the client rendering rewrite.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Grandee's Horse

Postby pawnchito » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Nice. Finally some goodies. :P
Last edited by pawnchito on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Awesome!
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby kill5link » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:54 pm

hopefully my horse is purple-cyan-marmor colored, as nature wants it to be.
kill5link

Postby Zachary09 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm

I love the coloured horses idea. Adds more to the regionalism of the game ;)
Zachary09

Postby Leon232 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:56 pm

the horror of some of these combos...…..brownish orange legs with blk body.....shudder......will the seeds be inherited?
Leon232

Postby AbsK » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:56 pm

jorb wrote:We've been developing, and here's what's new.

[*] Added variable coloration to horses, much like for cows. All previously existing horses have been gifted with a random seed. Hopefully the results aren't absolutely horrid.

Hell yes!
EDIT: All my horses are now butt ugly :(

[*] Activating a container item (keyring, toolbelt, &c) from the hotbelt now toggles its UI window on and off. (Update your clients)

HELL YES
Last edited by AbsK on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AbsK

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:57 pm

in my opinion dont abandon the new combat system its really not that bad and im sure with some decent balancing and figuring out how to play around ping you could make something decent out of it.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby loftar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Leon232 wrote:will the seeds be inherited?

In the same way that they are inherited between cows, yes.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby vatas » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm

I think devs just decided to do some bugfixes that have piled up during their focus on combat.

Also, can you now tell male and female horses apart visually? I guess not being able to would be "realistic" but I'd prefer it. (Cattle can be told apart by their horns.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Next

Return to Announcements