Animals product quality when hunting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Animals product quality when hunting

Postby kmarad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Since Hafen it seems that hitting an animal with a projectile lowers its quality.
That makes sense but any slashing / piercing weapon should lower the quality of the skin of an animal.

So It could be cool that only unarmed and blunt weapons (maybe maces or just a stick), can leave the skin in its highest quality state, don't you think ?
kmarad

Re: Animals product quality when hunting

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 am

kmarad wrote:Since Hafen it seems that hitting an animal with a projectile lowers its quality.
That makes sense but any slashing / piercing weapon should lower the quality of the skin of an animal.

So It could be cool that only unarmed and blunt weapons (maybe maces or just a stick), can leave the skin in its highest quality state, don't you think ?

Animals are hardcapped by the survival of the person attacking it already. Does it need any further changes?

As far as the specific idea: No. Think of a bruise and what it does to the skin. Now imagine if that bruise goes from skin to bone across a few dozen square centimeters of skin. It's like tenderizing a steak, but the steak still has blood flowing through it, so what you get is a bloody pulp that isn't much good for anything, not even sausage.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 am

MagicManICT wrote:Animals are hardcapped by the survival of the person attacking it already. Does it need any further changes?

Yes. And it is kinda obvious)
If you think that surv hardcap is enough - then why we have an additional limit for projectiles? And if it is good to have both for archery, why don't we have it for melee?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Lyrroth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:51 am

projectile quality shit was implemented to fight something. dont overdo it with realism.
Lyrroth

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:29 am

Lyrroth wrote:projectile quality shit was implemented to fight something. dont overdo it with realism.

Discourage people from boat hunting where the animal can't even hit the player, so now people boat hunt in a way so that... they don't even get hit. At least, that was my take on it.

As far as I'd suggest, I'd say drop the ranged quality thing to the same survival hardcap. Clearly it just changed the game meta, and didn't really fix the problem.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Zentetsuken » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:50 am

There should be weapon mastery credos, or hunting credo that is practically mandatory.

It stands to reason that any weapon, be it blunt, sharp or projectile would detriment the quality of animal products ... UNLESS you were highly skilled with this weapon.

Even irl a hunter can make a hunted animal practically unusable with a badly aimed arrow. This is why practice and education is absolutely necessary.

I think it would be better and more realistic to have the animal product be more like a dice roll. Could be perfect, could be fucked up 10%, or even 90%. But after some kind of hunting or weapon proficiency credo you change the dice roll in favour of not fucking up the quality with a maximum fuck up of like 30% or something.
Zentetsuken

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:There should be weapon mastery credos, or hunting credo that is practically mandatory.

It stands to reason that any weapon, be it blunt, sharp or projectile would detriment the quality of animal products ... UNLESS you were highly skilled with this weapon.

Even irl a hunter can make a hunted animal practically unusable with a badly aimed arrow. This is why practice and education is absolutely necessary.

I think it would be better and more realistic to have the animal product be more like a dice roll. Could be perfect, could be fucked up 10%, or even 90%. But after some kind of hunting or weapon proficiency credo you change the dice roll in favour of not fucking up the quality with a maximum fuck up of like 30% or something.

that's what this topic about - have some limitations ONLY for projectiles is dumb and unneeded in the current state
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Granger » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:have some limitations ONLY for projectiles is dumb
Yes.
and unneeded in the current state
Debatable. In case animals couldn't be cheesed I would agree, but as that isn't the case...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Granger wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:have some limitations ONLY for projectiles is dumb
Yes.
and unneeded in the current state
Debatable. In case animals couldn't be cheesed I would agree, but as that isn't the case...

Hmm, how does "cheesing" correlates with "weapon type?
I mean, yes, hunting and PvE has a bunch of flows, but the exact OP seems pretty solid - projectiles softcap nowadays is a bit atavism - it serves the needs that currently overcovered by never surv cap and seems useless unless you like to have "why arrows have cap and melee not" topics once a month.
If you stand for opposite - please argue why we still need it?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby kmarad » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:23 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Now imagine if that bruise goes from skin to bone across a few dozen square centimeters of skin. It's like tenderizing a steak, but the steak still has blood flowing through it, so what you get is a bloody pulp that isn't much good for anything, not even sausage.

I don't know, to make leather you beat the skin with osmething blunt, as you beat the meat to tenderize it too.
I'm pretty sure that blunt weapons don't damage the skin/meat as much as piercing / slashing weapons.

Thus it could be nice that every slashing attack against an animal ruin the skin quality. Maybe not as much as piercing, but a little.
And to create a few blunt weapons, for those high skilled hunters, that want to get the highest quality materials as possible.

On this topic I like a lot what unreal world devs did : when you are hungry, you'll go for the kill by any way possible, but when you want the skins, you are particularly careful about how you kill an animal, which is much more difficult using blunt weapons, but much more rewarding.

Then there could be things like allowing the player to chose which part of the animal he aims. Like aiming the head is much more difficult than aiming the body, but if you hit the head you don't damage the skin.
kmarad

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas